Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal visit

(68 Posts)
BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:36:39

Did anyone else feel nervous whilst watching Kate exit the aeroplane as it landed in Canada?
My heart was in my mouth as I saw her coming down those steep steps in heels whilst holding Charlotte in one arm and holding onto George with other one. It was a really lovely scene all the family together...but one slip. I know she is young and very fit, but I know when I exit an aeroplane I am hanging on for dear life as I find those steel steps a nightmare. Is it just me?

mcem Sun 25-Sep-16 22:37:45

When he was younger get my GS often wore shorts and checked/gingham shirts. No one ever suggested he looked like Christopher Robin. Scruffy denim is not actually de rigueur!

mcem Sun 25-Sep-16 22:40:06

-get-

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Sep-16 22:44:52

Aw, he's cute as owt. And Katherine has a figure to die for. What I'd give to look like that! I'm sure George knows what a high five is. I suppose it's difficult to summon one up when you're just a tot with jet lag though.

LullyDully Sun 25-Sep-16 23:21:04

Poor George looked off his feet, so tired. Someone should have carried him too. Bet he dropped off in the car.

gillybob Mon 26-Sep-16 07:33:52

I don't think their flight would have been quite as hectic/ uncomfortable as most others. They would hardly have been packed in like sardines with the minimum of leg room . 8 days in Canada, being waited on hand and foot ( I know that's normal for them) a nanny or two to look after the children. Jeez nice "work"
If you can get it.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Mon 26-Sep-16 07:52:16

Oh dear! I didn't mean my post to develop into a criticism of what the little one was wearing...I think he looked lovely, not exactly an occasion for a peppe pig t.shirt and denims.

thatbags Mon 26-Sep-16 07:58:37

It is nice work if you can get it. They have got it. Lucky them. They look like a lovely family and are very popular. People like figureheads.

I wonder if any of their most severe critics would give up a job like that?

High heels always make me nervous, binthere, but Kate does seem to wear them most of the time, at least when she's on public view. I'm sure William would have helped if she'd wanted him to. I hope they have a lovely tour of Canada.

gillybob Mon 26-Sep-16 08:00:49

Forgive me but my criticism isn't aimed at the little boy at all. As a 3 year old he is hardly in the position to choose his clothes. Maybe the wrong thread but the whole "Royal" thing just annoys me .

Newquay Mon 26-Sep-16 08:15:18

Hear hear Gillybob.
They really are a calculating lot. Presumably this is to keep hold of Canada?
Such nonsense all this fuss of this (undoubtedly apparently happy) young family.
I understand the host country pays for these jollies so at least it won't be costing us any more will it?
My hard working happily married young family need an all expenses paid holiday with child care thrown in too as no doubt do millions of others. . . .

Anniebach Mon 26-Sep-16 08:49:51

William is trying to secure his role as future king, the windsors don't want to lose Cananda and Australia and NewZealand

Im68Now Mon 26-Sep-16 09:08:58

As I understand it the people want to keep the royals, did I hear that theirs some sort of movement to change to a home grown head of state, can we have a vote on the future of the royals, please, ect...ect...

Jane10 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:38:38

Oh here we go- another lets slag royalty thread. Not what the OP had wanted.sad

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-16 09:41:43

No, just expressing our own opinions as is the right of us all on GN.

Bellanonna Mon 26-Sep-16 09:51:54

Yes, I felt the same as you, Bintherdunit14. Those heels, elegant though they were, did worry me. Even without the responsibility of the small children I would be worried.
I'm sure the kids wear "normal" clothes most of the time but there has to be some protocol for such public appearances, even though brief. They were probably dressed just before landing, or whenever it was safe to do so. I didn't think George's clothes looked too prissy anyway.

DaphneBroon Mon 26-Sep-16 10:08:40

A vote on the future of the Royal family im68now
Did you mean here in the UK or the Head of the Commonwealth which of course affects Canada? What on earth is the point of that? And what do you mean by "a home grown head of state"?
Maybe we could get Monty Don or that nice Alan Titchmarsh to advise confused

Tegan Mon 26-Sep-16 10:38:22

The childrens clothes are often bought from British manufacturers, often small companies I believe, and sales for them goes through the roof. Good for British business.

NotTooOld Mon 26-Sep-16 21:25:37

I'm with gillybob as the whole Royal thing annoys me, too. There are just too many of them. Having said that, I wouldn't want the Cambridges to do their tour wearing Primark. It's a good thing my youngest DGD isn't in Charlotte's position as she wouldn't be seen dead in a smocked frock.

Deedaa Mon 26-Sep-16 22:25:07

To be fair I think George was wearing the sort of clothes my GS's would wear for a formal affair like a wedding. I suppose meeting a foreign Prime Minister is at least as formal as the average wedding.
I think the visit is aimed at improving relations with Canada with a view to establishing new markets there when we're out of Europe.

JessM Mon 26-Sep-16 22:25:17

Wondering if William's mother would have approved of either taking the kids on a business trip or dressing him up to impersonate his grandad as a child.

Maggiemaybe Mon 26-Sep-16 22:33:10

I'm sure I remember William and Harry going along on business trips though, Jess, and they did wear a lot of smocked romper suits!

Ana Mon 26-Sep-16 22:35:46

Yes, I think Diana was quite old-fashioned in her choice of baby/young children's wear. Not saying that was a bad thing.

LullyDully Thu 29-Sep-16 16:30:04

I suppose if you can afford not to shop at Sainsbury s then why not. I thought George looked quite smart. Just shorts, shirt and jumper with his school shoes buffed up. Not a sailor collar or curl in sight.

annsixty Thu 29-Sep-16 17:30:41

Since that photo opportunity have the children been seen?
I expect they will be wheeled out again for departure.

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 17:53:49

mcem I agree with you re the clothes
I would have said they were 'classic'
(What's wrong with them, or Charlotte's pretty dresses?)

I expect he has jeans, dungarees etc for playing in the garden

Jalima Thu 29-Sep-16 18:02:08

JessM I thought that 'William's mum' (aka Princess of Wales) took him to Australia when he was just a tot.

Of course, the Queen was criticised for leaving her children at home when she went on Royal visits

Can't win whatever they do
Jane10 yes, gets boring doesn't it!