Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are so many Gransnetters so misandrist

(97 Posts)
M0nica Tue 04-Oct-16 14:32:00

That's right women who enjoy complaining about the faults in men and seem not see that they too are less than perfect.

There are two misandrist threads running at the moment. If it was men attacking women, the thread would have been shouted down or withdrawn very quickly.

I worked mainly in a male environment and I have also worked with women and found both genders equally difficult or easy to work with depending on their individual characteristics.

I find the knocking men threads on Gransnet quite unpleasant.

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 17:34:36

Women should point out men's faults, something easy for them to cope with confused (now is that a compliment or not grin)

Grannyknot Tue 04-Oct-16 17:39:44

It could also be asked why are so many Gransnetters committed to "virtuous signalling"?

(ducks and runs away ...)

(I've not read the alleged misandrist threads so perhaps I shouldn't even comment on this one!)

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 17:45:13

GN, I was posting on it without even realising it was misandrist (in fact I hadn't heard of the term before now)

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 17:46:00

GN, no should have been GK

morethan2 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:51:18

What's ' virtuous signalling' ? Please tell

Grannyknot Tue 04-Oct-16 17:58:43

morethan it means a post that signals how virtuous the person is.

BTW I knew the word "misandry" - it's a favourite of my husband.

grannylyn65 Tue 04-Oct-16 18:05:54

I am very virtuous, but not by choice!!! grin

Grannyknot Tue 04-Oct-16 18:06:15

wobbly smile

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 18:18:34

I had to look up Virtuous Signalling, too many long words in this thread for a simpleton (man) like me.

Nelliemoser Tue 04-Oct-16 18:20:26

This sort of "joking" has been going on for centuries. It worries me when it starts geting looked at too seriously we have to loosen up a bit.

As DaphneB says its banter.

If we cannot be light hearted at times life would be so much more dull.

morethan2 Tue 04-Oct-16 18:31:56

Thanks Grannyknot I think I might be guilty of that but as my mother used to say
"Self praise is no recommendation, but it's better than no praise at all" I also knew the meaning of misandry not because I'm clever but because I work for the NHS and we are sent on all manner of courses. I think It was conflict resolution. wink

Luckygirl Tue 04-Oct-16 18:37:39

Loosen up indeed!

Grannyknot Tue 04-Oct-16 18:38:38

wobbly are you now self-flaggelating...grin

morethan I'm not surprised you learnt about that on an NHS course. I also used to work for the NHS and learnt lots.

Linsco56 Tue 04-Oct-16 18:38:51

Stand up comedians have been making jokes about the difference between the sexes for decades...Les Dawson made a career based on his mother in law jokes. Women didn't take offence... we're British and have the ability to laugh at ourselves.

gillybob Tue 04-Oct-16 18:39:32

I think Misandry is the name of one of the teaching assistants at my DGC's school.

Jalima Tue 04-Oct-16 18:39:34

Wobblybits I am sure that you are Practically Perfect in Every Way. Just like my DH! wink

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-16 18:39:50

I just think that we are applying double standards here.

Yes, the threads are meant to be light-hearted, but I think that if there were sufficient men on GN to run a thread like these two but referring to their wives or other women, they would be cut off in their prime as sexist.

It is the double standards that bother me.

Jalima Tue 04-Oct-16 18:41:01

gillybob grin

Grannyknot Tue 04-Oct-16 18:46:22

So Monica are you suggesting that the lovely men on our forum are tolerant and forgiving as well as having a sense of humour, whereas the women not?

Envious Tue 04-Oct-16 18:52:07

When I first found gransnet a few years ago it gave me the impression that women in your country in general were much more independent then women in the U.S. So many average women are dependent on their spouses financially and mentally here. I hate to generalize in such a way but it impressed me and kept me coming back to listen to such strong women! I feel I'd be a bump on a log without my DH and would suffer depression and financial hardships. Of course I know many on here have lost a beloved DH and miss them and It makes me tear up thinking of their pain. Such courage you show! flowers my love and admiration! Envious

Tizliz Tue 04-Oct-16 19:32:52

I have to tease my OH or he would be so big headed, need to keep him in his place (beside me grin )

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 19:36:10

self-flagellating ??? can we say that on GN hmm

Jalima, Practically Perfect in Every Way , surly not, but then again hmm

When threads like this one, are light hearted, they are a joy. I love banter.

trisher Tue 04-Oct-16 19:47:49

So M0nica what's the word for women who dislike women?
There are comments on different threads about all sorts of people including the phantom plimsoll poster. If there are only 2 dissing men that seems to be quite a small percentage of the whole.
Wb I think the second thread is the one about needing a man (to deal with a mobility scooter)

Wobblybits Tue 04-Oct-16 19:55:45

Trisher, "So M0nica what's the word for women who dislike women?" you really are trying to lead me into dangerous territory. grin

I though need a man thread was also light hearted. Perhaps I'm getting too laid back.

Ana Tue 04-Oct-16 19:57:00

trisher, to answer your question, I think misogyny can be practised by women as well as men.