Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are so many Gransnetters so misandrist

(97 Posts)
M0nica Tue 04-Oct-16 14:32:00

That's right women who enjoy complaining about the faults in men and seem not see that they too are less than perfect.

There are two misandrist threads running at the moment. If it was men attacking women, the thread would have been shouted down or withdrawn very quickly.

I worked mainly in a male environment and I have also worked with women and found both genders equally difficult or easy to work with depending on their individual characteristics.

I find the knocking men threads on Gransnet quite unpleasant.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 06-Oct-16 21:03:02

Luckygirl gringringringringrin

WB we use IKEA bags - large and small - for lots of things. Last for years too, don't they? wink

Luckygirl Thu 06-Oct-16 20:44:37

Out on my walk today I saw the bus go by; and when I got to the bus stop there was a very frail elderly lady waiting there. I asked her if she was waiting for a lift and when she said no she was waiting for the bus, I had to tell her that it had gone and it was an hour to the next one. She looked very vague and I had to explain several times. I asked where she lived and she pointed to a nearby house. After some minutes she shrugged her shoulders and set off over the road saying "I'll just have to go home and listen to the grumpy old git!"

trisher Thu 06-Oct-16 20:32:32

I was on holiday once- think it was Italy and watched as a old woman in an upstairs flat stood on her balcony and lowered a basket on a piece of rope, a younger woman put things in it and the one upstairs pulled it up. Great way to solve a shopping problem I thought.

Wobblybits Thu 06-Oct-16 08:13:49

Ah yes, bit slow this morning, definitely Angels hmm

Grannyknot Thu 06-Oct-16 08:04:13

You wrote a- - - - ls in your post of 06:58. smile

I'm asking do you mean "angels"? blush

Wobblybits Thu 06-Oct-16 07:42:00

Angels ???? am i missing something ?

Grannyknot Thu 06-Oct-16 07:31:50

Angels, wobbly ? (I don't want you to get banned).

Wobblybits Thu 06-Oct-16 06:58:14

Ikea bag, other bags are available smile, but because the Ikea ones have long handles they are nice and stable when attached to a rope. We use them for storing all sorts of stuff in the loft. We keep our Xmas stuff in them, just have to lower each bag down. I bet your dog will love it.

I have to say that if only half what some Gners say about their husbands is true, they are a----------ls IMO. I don't see that as misandristy as it is a specific problem with a specific person, not all men.

BlueBelle Thu 06-Oct-16 06:48:33

That reminds me of a story, I once had an Egyptian staying with me he told me he lived in a flat over a small supermarket and when they need things they lowered a bag on a rope down with the money and list in and the grocery store filled it with their goods for the upward journey I thought it a good idea

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 06-Oct-16 00:32:03

I love the IKEA bag and a rope idea! I could use it to get stuff up into the loft. wink

Had to Google 'misandrist', but knew what virtue signalling meant. grin

Women have always nattered good-naturedly amongst themselves about their men. We do get serious threads where a member posts about a problem with their OH, but as far as I can see misandrists are few and far between.

rubylady Thu 06-Oct-16 00:14:55

WB You have just solved a problem for me, thanks. I have trouble taking things upstairs, now I have a solution, an Ikea bag and rope! Genius. grin

I don't know how the dog will take it though. hmm

Nanna58 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:48:30

Must be dyslexic, misandrest and married mean the same thing to me !

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 21:47:15

I think Mrs P thought I was serious because that's how we get things in/out of our loft.

Eloethan Wed 05-Oct-16 21:35:23

Wobblybits That's so funny.

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 19:27:59

Mrs P, struggle with my humour at times. We are going to look after our 1 year old GS next month. Neither of us can climb stairs easily atm. I suggested we take an Ikea bag (the big blue ones) and a length of rope so that we could put him in it an pull him upstairs -- she thought I was serious DOH.

Swanny Wed 05-Oct-16 17:47:20

I have a humourous 'wrinklies' calendar and the cartoon for this month shows a woman and two men (all of a certain age). One of the men is holding the woman's hand and is saying to the other chap We always hold hands when we go shopping. If I let go she'll buy something
grin

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 17:37:01

But I resent my wife buying new clothes -- there's no room left in the wardrobes (note the s, all three of them !)

Elegran Wed 05-Oct-16 17:32:13

Quite so, WB. It is like saying "Why do so many men resent their wives buying new clothes?" They don't! - but there is a long tradition of men saying that they dread their wives going shopping for something new, just as there is a long tradition of women saying that their men can't find anything unless the exact co-ordinates are given to them (or fed into their Satnavs, preferably)

soop Wed 05-Oct-16 17:06:41

Wobblybits Bless!

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 16:34:20

I think the title of this thread is a false question (I'm sure there is a pedant here that could put that better). IMO by far the majority of Gners do not dislike men (or women). They have dislikes about certain aspects or specific people, but not across the board.
The odd spat that has occurred is almost always due to misunderstanding between what the poster intended and what the reader interpreted. Most Gners are willing to listen to the others arguments, even if they don't agree. I can't think of a single Gner that I would not be willing to meet in RL.

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 16:08:03

TizLiz, thanks for the warning, It would be disastrous if my wife found out about Mrs. P or Mrs. WB blush

Synonymous Wed 05-Oct-16 16:02:31

Nina I have to confess we don't do it in public intentionally - although we just may???? Thinks! Don't know!
Anyway, we also tell each other just how much we appreciate each other and give thanks for nice and /or kind gestures. We both know we would be totally lost without the other and yes we probably do irritate each other sometimes but life is generally calm and pleasant so we have much to be thankful for.
We both like to laugh! smile

ninathenana Wed 05-Oct-16 15:24:43

Synonymous you have reminded me of an old couple H and I knew when you say about yours and DH's banter. They never seemed to have a good word for each other but were still together in their 80's when when it came to Dolly's funeral Len cried like a baby.
My friends H and I rib each other a lot. She says I'm the only one of her friends who knows how to take him. I love him to bits smile

Synonymous Wed 05-Oct-16 11:59:49

I have a funny feeling that it is not so very good to know words like misogyny or misandry as you can then be on the lookout for it to take offence. I have to confess that neither DH or I knew the term misandry until today but I don't think it will add anything positive to our lives.

If anyone heard DH and me sometimes when we are on our own and calling each other names they would be hard put to understand why we are still together after all these years. We know and understand each other so well that we know exactly what a reaction will be to anything that is said. When DH calls me a ratbag I just say," But I am your ratbag" grin and he knows that is what I will say (and vice versa) and so we both laugh and any situation is diffused.
I really enjoy the banter with male friends in particular and have a really good laugh. It is never serious. As wobblybits says it really is good fun and you do have a big smile on your face. Sometimes the fact that some people don't see the humour can make it even funnier and we can be helpless with laughter.

We all sound off to friends whether they are RL or virtual and often it is a method of diffusing situations. It is so interesting to see that what we might find so irritating is actually pretty common and often folk realise that life is too short for all that and we shouldn't get so steamed up about 'stuff'.

When it is sheer bullying then it is a very different matter and can be easily seen as such. Care certainly needs to be taken when reading situations and shrugging things off is to encouraged for a happier life so if it helps to have a virtual sounding off session then why ever not?! smile

Tizliz Wed 05-Oct-16 11:39:52

WB you will have to be careful - Mrs WB and Mrs P wink