Gransnet forums

Chat

Trending -- what ?

(35 Posts)
Wobblybits Thu 13-Oct-16 14:20:55

Things seenm to be passing me by, what the heck is "Trending" or "On Trend". Is this what used to be "Cool", "Brill", "Hip", "With it" etc

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 11:34:10

I am off to delete my cookies wink

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 12:02:57

Don't delete cookies, they are delicious.

Try AdBlock on a windows PC, that blocks most adverts and is free

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 12:07:44

Thanks Wobblybits

I deleted all the chocolate chip ones and they were delicious. None left.

Indinana Fri 14-Oct-16 12:11:23

Yes I have Adblock - but have you noticed that more and more sites pop up messages saying 'we see you have an ad blocker - please disable this as we can't operate without the income from advertising' Or words to that effect. Sometimes you get 'Our site won't display properly unless you disable the ad blocker'.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 12:16:43

We use many products that are "Free" but they have to be paid for some how, GN is one of those, it is the advertising that pays the bills. This is why ADBlock is good in some ways, but rather unfair to the company giving us the product for free. So if they ask, I disable it for that site.

Indinana Fri 14-Oct-16 13:05:12

I do too wb. I always feel a pang of conscience! Same reason I always donate to Wikipedia every year. It's such a great resource and I'd miss it like anything if they had to fold.

JustAGodmother Fri 14-Oct-16 15:45:08

Hashtags can be very useful Wobblybits - I learnt about them quite recently (outside of twitter) they can tame the internet quite nicely.
I'm doing an online photography course that uses a private facebook community and when we post our submissions on different modules, each task has its own hashtag. By just clicking your mouse on that specific hashtag in any of the submissions you are taken to all a page that shows all the submissions from everyone on the course for that assignment. It beats scrolling endlessly through all the stuff you don't care about at the moment smile

My current favourite one though is #VeryBritishProblems

Legs55 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:07:42

hashtag is just the hash key (just above shift key on keyboard).

No desire to go on Twitter & send a Tweet.

Not remotely interested in "Celebs" & their goings on - does this mean I'm "off trend" hmm

Linbrikat Sat 15-Oct-16 18:10:15

I use Twitter a lot, not to hear the sound of my own voice, but to follow people who interest me. Yes, some of these are 'celebs' but not people like the Kardashians, mostly actors in the TV shows I enjoy. It's a good way of 'meeting' people who like the same things as I do. If one of the young people posts a word or phrase I don't understand, I usually look it up on urbandictionary.com which is very useful if you want to be 'down with the kids'