Gransnet forums

Chat

Penny wise, pound foolish.

(40 Posts)
Charleygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 11:16:53

If the surgeon you saw does not think that your hip is ready for surgery, there are many who will do it privately for the money. It should be at the stage of grade 4 on the xray, bone on bone with no synovial fluid to lubricate.

NotTooOld Sat 15-Oct-16 10:53:22

Sorry, Daddima, I have gone way off thread.

NotTooOld Sat 15-Oct-16 10:51:44

Wobbly - you need to shop around a bit. The cost of a private op often reflects the charges the hospital makes for hire (by the surgeon) of its theatre and its rooms, as well as nursing services, food and meds, so it is not necessarily a reflection of the surgeon's skills. You can usually find CVs of the surgeons on the internet which can be reassuring.

NotTooOld Sat 15-Oct-16 10:41:44

I had my hip replaced privately and I'm so glad I did. I wasn't bothered about a private room, in fact I actually prefer a public ward, but it was worth it to get it done quicker (within a week of my first appointment, so no time to worry overmuch!) as I was in so much pain. We don't have insurance so paid out of our savings but as someone above says, our inheritors would spend the money quickly enough. If I remember rightly it cost between £7000 and £8000.

annsixty Sat 15-Oct-16 10:20:10

Good luck then wb that pain is awful. For my knee I was quoted £10,700/£11,500 but didn't get a breakdown or extras. My friends friend who had hers done through insurance was not happy with the pnysio at our local private hospital. She also had a "heart episode" and was in for 11 days. I don't know what happens in that cases if you are self funding.

Wobblybits Sat 15-Oct-16 09:53:44

Annsixty -- I am seriously considering getting my hip replaced privately, I am in constant pain, even with meds, and cannot live as wish to. The joint is not worn enough for the NHS to do it, I'm not sure I can live like this until it gets worse. Looking at payment options.

Kittye Fri 14-Oct-16 19:25:59

Linsco my Nan always used to tell me to keep my hand on my ha'penny, I knew what she meant grin

annsixty Fri 14-Oct-16 19:18:04

I was told by many people not to have my knee done privately, even by the surgeon who did it. He told me not to waste my money unless a private room was essential to me.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 19:13:26

We are spending it now if we have it. As someone said on another thread "there are no pockets in shrouds"

However, if we hadn't just bought a new car, we would have had enough to get my hip replaced privately.

annsixty Fri 14-Oct-16 19:04:39

We don't do holidays any more so see nothing wrong in a treat now and then. The family will spend it fast enough when the time comes.

rosesarered Fri 14-Oct-16 19:00:54

If you have the money to spend ( and bills are paid) then treat yourself.I think most of our generation try not to chuck things out and use things up, just how we were brought up.I feel twinges when we spend a lot on house improvements, but appreciate it needs doing, but never feel happy about spending ( a lot) on a holiday because it's so fleeting.

annsixty Fri 14-Oct-16 18:54:55

I have ordered my own C.......s presents to myself. A new smart phone and a new laptop. If I didn't I would not get one. Would appreciate being a friend of the OP and having £60 spent on me. My friends and I just exchange cards.

Charleygirl Fri 14-Oct-16 18:19:22

My OTT purchases are early Christmas presents to myself and it could be mid July!

Linsco56 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:16:42

One of my grandmother's favourite sayings was "take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves". Another of her sayings (and said to me when I was a teenager and heading out for the evening) was "keep your hand on your ha'penny". Years later I discovered it had nothing to do with managing my savings! blush

Daddima you're not alone as I also justify OTT purchases by convincing myself that I've saved in lots of other ways.

Daddima Fri 14-Oct-16 15:43:51

This was one of my late father's favourite sayings when describing his sister.

Now, I have just been googling the best way to freeze coriander when I've only used half the ( 80p) packet.
I cannot also bring myself to pay £1.99 per month to subscribe online to the newspaper I used to buy every day.
However, I have just paid £60 for a birthday gift for a friend, which will provide hilarity on the day and then be forgotten.
Please tell me I'm not alone!