Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you noticed

(56 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 21-Oct-16 09:22:57

Have you noticed how people are using Crowd funding to raise money for their own issues whilst I have always connected it with global good causes not personal good causes, lately I have seen crowdfunding pages for a family who s dog needs a major operation and large vet fees , a woman needing a stair lift for her home, and today a man taken ill on holiday abroad and needs his family by his side. I m not being mean I believe in helping whenever I can and I m not at all tight with donations but there's a part of me that feels we all have to take responsibility for our own problems maybe insurance, saving up, or even (Flak jacket out) not having a large pet if you can't manage possible future problems
If someone lives in a village that is flooded and everything they own disappears I want to help if ' tinkerbelle' gets poorly sort it yourself

Lewlew Sat 22-Oct-16 16:43:40

In a way, I prefer the personal angle of crowdfunding vs being charity-mugged on every street corner!

I did donate personally to something on our regional news and was sad to hear that the funds were not raised in time to help the patient. But, was glad I tried.

My friend did a Memory Walk up north as her mum passed from Alzheimer's and it was simple to do that via Paypal and help her raise money for that organisation.

ladytina42 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:53:34

Goodness, this thread has reminded me of an old school friend who is a multi millionaire having worked in financial services in the 80s and 90s, and owns a home worth circa 4 million. She designed an Eco friendly product a few years ago and asked crowd funders for 14 thousand pounds to get it into production. I was gobsmacked, all that wealth, and she wants others to fund her project. Needless to say, no finance was forthcoming from me or DH. We are your average Joes, and I was just amazed at what I saw as her cheek. I did keep an rate on her crowd funding page, and she did not reach her target.

Peaseblossom Sat 22-Oct-16 20:28:37

Insurance is not a luxury, it is a necessity! It's not just a matter of being burgled, or pipes bursting or whatever, but the worse case scenario of the house burning down and you being left with nowhere to live and all your possessions gone. Then what are you supposed to do? My insurance works out to about £2 a week, less than a cup of coffee in a coffee shop and far less than an alcoholic drink or packet of cigarettes, which many people seem to waste money on. It's surprising how many people who are on benefits seem to be able to spend money in the pub and on fags. Some people have definitely got their priorities wrong.

Im68Now Sun 23-Oct-16 09:16:57

Eirel
Either ignore or donate. Then forget about it. Simple!

Or, write about it on Gransnet.

I read the OP and thought "What are they on about now", after reading a few post I got very stuck in my ways, Its a good idea and then the cheek of the people asking and now I'm thinking "why am I reading this" am I that sad and the answer is yes.

Will God help me or is it too late, Is it time to have a drink yet ?

rubylady Mon 24-Oct-16 02:09:01

I read quite a few weekly mags and in those the stories are starting to end with a crowd funding note, be it for IVF, boob jobs or trips abroad for medical help. I think when it comes at you in such volume, I, for one, tend to get desensitised to it all. I first heard about it when poor Stephen Sutton was trying to raise funds for teenage cancer a few years ago and he raised far more than his intended amount, total currently stands at over £5M. I did phone up to the Channel 4 Stand Up to Cancer last week and donated though, so I will give when I think it is appropriate (Children in Need being around the corner), I just don't want personal canvassing for my money forced down my throat just because I want to read some light relief.