Gransnet forums

Chat

Husband's chemo and me

(30 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 23-Oct-16 07:06:59

Is anyone else the other half of chemo treatment? He is coping brilliantly and I am so proud of him but I'm struggling to be honest. Any thoughts?

Menopaws Mon 24-Oct-16 21:34:58

Thanks all, really interesting comments, nemosmum thanks for your honesty. I work with dementia so see a lot of partners losing their soulmates. I am positive and realistic and I count my blessings and I have a lot tbh. The best piece of advice I received at the beginning of this was to draw a little box for every aspect of my life, say job, money, health, children, relationship etc and put a tick in all the boxes that were good and a cross in the bad boxes. It made me realise just how damn lucky I am as I had ticks in all except the health one and I always think of this if glum, not only that but we both work together and it takes literally four minutes to get to the royal Marsden for all the appts, now that is the cherry on our cake cos so many have a terrible time getting to their treatments so I Promise you all I am lucky and I know it every day. All your comments really lifted me and I thank you as I was just sad the day I started this thread and I'm not now! X

Luckygirl Mon 24-Oct-16 21:52:52

It is indescribably hard being the partner of someone who is so ill. Good luck on this difficult journey. flowers

I am watching my OH gradually deteriorate with PD and it is difficult to witness his distress with his symptoms, so I have a small inkling of what you are going through. It is very isolating being the partner as you are torn between wanting support yourself, but also wanting to maintain your OH's dignity. If I were to tell others some of the things that happen in response to the illness and the treatments I am sure they would not believe me. I do not want the family to have all these worries too.

etheltbags1 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:28:07

My thoughts are with you all who have cancer or partners of a sufferer. I went through chemo about 18 months ago. I had no partner as I live alone, just good friends and F2f,mother and gorgeous Dgd helped me by visits and company. I would not have anyone help me. That's how I dealt with it. I cannot imagine what it must be like for partners of cancer victims. My Dh died of heart problems so he did not suffer. God bless you all x

morethan2 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:25:35

I don't have any advice but I want to say you have my admiration. It must be so very hard as you watch your husbands/ partners go through and deal with this terrible illness. You also have your own emotions that you havee to control while dealing with your own feelings of fear and heartbreak. It's just so terrible.