Gransnet forums

Chat

Travel Snobs

(36 Posts)
Shazmo24 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:32:46

My husband and I have been using Airbnb's a lot in the last couple of years and we love being part of a home rather than just staying in some impersonal hotel.
However a couple of people I know have both said "nothing less than 5* would do for them! In fact all the homes we have been in are at least 5* with the added knowledge that we are paying less and we get to hear about where the "secret" places are

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:02:15

I don't like the use of the word snobs. On various holidays I've found it very interesting to hear other peoples' experiences and its been a good chance to pick people's brains for top tips and things to avoid. Other people are often the making of a good holiday for me. Just because others might have been to more places than me doesn't make them travel snobs. Similarly, these trips can be very expensive so the food should be good!

Wobblybits Tue 25-Oct-16 08:25:05

No Monica, annoying people can ruin a holiday. What is annoying depends on the individual, incessant chatter whilst the guide is talking is infuriating. Not people but I hate things hanging down from overhead shelves.

M0nica Tue 25-Oct-16 08:17:38

Am I a travel snob? We too have just returned from an organised holiday in Northern Spain (and southern France). One of the main subjects of conversation among the group, was the absence of such irritating people, whom we had all experienced in the past.

SueDonim Mon 24-Oct-16 19:11:14

I think you can get people of that ilk in any large-ish group. In a book club, they're the ones who've read every book ever printed, or in a sports group such as golf have played with every golf celebrity evah, or at parties, name-drop about other, better parties they've attended in the past.

It says more about their insecurities than it does about you! grin

Luckygirl Mon 24-Oct-16 18:57:19

I have not been on many organised holidays, but there does seem to be a rule that any such holiday will contain a person or couple whose sole aim is to find fault and work themselves up to a complaint.

whitewave Mon 24-Oct-16 18:56:36

The best thing is to ignore such twits. Make your excuses and drift off. We do go on those tours and tend to keep to ourselves as people can be so tedious at times, a good morning is generally all I manage!

BBbevan Mon 24-Oct-16 18:32:30

Jayanna We had one of those on our cruise. Been on every cruise going. I think he said it was their 5th that year. Absolute authority on ALL cruise companies. Food, excursions, entertainment etc. A terrible boor.
On the other hand there was a couple who delighted in everything. It was their first cruise, they were in their 60s and it was their honeymoon. They really lifted the spirits. When they could get a word in edgeways that is.

Jayanna9040 Mon 24-Oct-16 18:05:45

Yes was on a river cruise down the Danube and had to sit at a dinner table with the ultimate travel snob, who moaned all the time that she was used to much better food, had been to much more interesting places, met far more interesting people than us dull little souls who sat and watched the river go by.

JackyB Mon 24-Oct-16 16:05:32

We did a similar thing in the South of Spain and there were, fortunately, no "snobs" - although I do know the kind you mean.

The opposite end of the spectrum was represented in our group. There was, at least one couple who seemed incapable of being left on their own to do anything. They forgot to pick up their passports from the hotel reception before leaving, despite our having been clearly instructed to do so.

As the entire group was between 50 and 70, you would think they had been on the planet long enough to know how to take responsiblity for themselves.

It was a very worthwhile holiday, though, and the embarrassment of being herded was rewarded by the queue-jumping which we were able to do at the Alhambra, the Mosque in Cordoba, etc., as all group entrance fees were pre-booked and paid for.

overthehill Mon 24-Oct-16 15:30:08

We have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Northern Spain.

We travelled with a group of 39. On the whole a very friendly lot of people.

We are inclined to go on these types of holidays as we like being looked after by the tour manager and you get to meet people. However, we always seem to notice there is at least one couple who like to think themselves superior, who have travelled the world, know everything and generally didn't like the holiday they have just been on. This is despite going on exactly the same holiday as everyone else in the group and paying exactly the same price so in once sense, very much our equal.

I have christened them, `Travel Snobs`