Gransnet forums

Chat

What does Gransnet mean to you?

(165 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Oct-16 14:08:09

We have a good idea of what we think it is - a networking site providing support, entertainment and information. But it would be really interesting and useful for us to know what the site represents to you, the ones who use it every day.

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 17:10:34

It is a laughing face!!

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 17:09:57

I see no squares ???

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 17:04:51

?

This

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 17:04:00

Wot squares??? Am I being thick?

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:34:37

Sorry WB

WOT wot are all these squares?

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 16:25:11

Jalima, I think you meant WOT

Jalima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:21:15

It depends, WB, if they were inflatable ones they may keep you buoyant

What are all these squares, I just can't see them!!
chocolate, lsd ???

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 16:17:28

A goldfish with big boobs would sink, so hopefully that's what's happened. ?

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 16:12:16

Yes, wobbly!!!?

annsixty Sat 29-Oct-16 15:57:46

I recall when someone did something really nasty involving phoenix she said that originated from north of the border. I wonder if that persona has existed for a long time.All speculation of course.

Charleygirl Sat 29-Oct-16 15:50:17

I have met in RL some very nice friendly people who I originally "met" on GN and each month we meet for coffee and have been for 2 years now. We appeared to "click" and we do not stop chatting.

I do not understand why some are so vicious and rude.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-16 15:45:36

I too was reminded of a vanished poster who declared that she trusted no-one and saw conspiracies and danger everywhere, under more than one username.

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 15:35:54

The deleted post were just plain nasty personal comments.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-16 15:35:49

WB A very good analogy. The car designer uses an engine designed by someone else that essentially just produces a series of controlled explosions. These produce an in and out motion, which is then adapted to make a round and round motion, which itself is transmitted to the wheels. The power is also translated into the electricity that fires the ignition that starts off the explosions, works lights, displays things on the dahboard, and does all the other things that we take for granted.

the driver doesn't need to know much about it all, just how to use the magical machine to best advantage (and when to get someone else to fix it)

Bellanonna Sat 29-Oct-16 15:31:05

WB. I had wondered about those two names, too, possibly being one person. Something about cats and tuna, and being a gran with big boobs. For a nanosecond we thought it was someone we knew, then decided it wasn't her style. I personally don't recognise this person's style. She seems to claim that she's not English, and possibly that she's Scots. The kisses, the use of "guys" and the general genre of the writing is a bit odd. Really strange posts. Some clearly even stranger, as they were deleted. A bit spooky too as s/he seems to "know" people although that wouldn't be difficult if the person has spent some time studying threads. Nowt as queer... as someone somewhere said.
They've disappeared now anyway. Had their fun and got bored.
Lara, yes, for the same reasons as most others have said, plus I quite enjoy taking part in the games. Bit of light relief. Long may Gransnet last.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-16 15:28:09

It is very easy to create that kind of atmosphere of conspiracy. You just need to keep hinting at "things I couldn't possibly disclose" from sources which "cannot be revealed"

Oh yeah!

DaphneBroon Sat 29-Oct-16 15:25:05

However the "mystery", if such it is, reminds me of a past member who was frequently trying to tantalise us with cryptic utterances and accusations of conspiracies of silence. But she then of course "couldn't say any more" nudge, nudge, wink, wink, possibly trying to create an atmosphere of suspicion and conspiracy. thlconfused
IMHO molehills should remain exactly that, there are enough mountains in RL.

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 15:24:27

I once attended a seminar at Microsoft when they were launching Windows something or other. One presenter said that the engineers that design the processors do not understand how they will be used, it is not until the systems designers get hold of them that the magic unfolds. It seemed like a car designer designing a super-car without any idea how or what it could do.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-16 15:16:59

WB The number of layers of interpretation/translation between the on/offs and the wondrous things that a computer can do are mind-boggling. It is as though there were a series of translators each passing on to the next their translation of what they have received from one language into another -
The sequences of on/ofs into a sort of non-flashing Morse code that gives sequences of numbers,
The sequences of numbers into definitions.
The sequences of definitions into instructions to do various simple things,
The sequences of simple actions into more complicated things.
The complicated things into displays on the screen.
The recognition of which key you have pressed and what it means, which is then passed back through all the translators and into more on-offs, which and the appropriate action taken.

A failure by any one of those translators/interpreters can jigger the whole thing - so it is a miracle that the damn machines work at all.

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 15:05:37

Fishy like a goldfish with big boobs?

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 15:00:02

If you get my meaning ?

Wobblybits Sat 29-Oct-16 14:59:25

The really amazing thing is that your laptop can only understand two conditions, on or off. Every programme etc you use is a collection of millions of ons and offs. (ie the binary system 1 or 0)

wot Sat 29-Oct-16 14:58:01

I remember the last thread we had about trying to guess who someone was, I was "accused" of being "the vanished one" and this poster of whom I have seen nothing further, said horrible things to me; seems fishy to me.

DaphneBroon Sat 29-Oct-16 14:56:31

The "Dark Web" all sounds very appropriate for Hallowe'en thlhmm
I wonder if GNHQ know whether one is using a proxy server when registering with GN then? thlconfused
Might it not arouse suspicions? This is only GN after all, not GCHQ so it sounds like a security level too far for the "ordinary" gran thlsmile
Ah well, no doubt whoever it is will be back to taunt enlighten us.

merlotgran Sat 29-Oct-16 14:49:38

Well it's all lost on me because I regard my laptop as a magic machine that can do all manner of amazing things when I log on.

Haven't a clue how it works.