Gransnet forums

Chat

That was a hard three weeks

(238 Posts)
Rigby46 Sat 29-Oct-16 20:35:19

Although I'm a fairly regular poster on MN, I lurked for quite a while here before I joined about three weeks ago. In that time I've been called a precious snowflake; accused of having a fit of the vapours ; being incredibly snobby, being satisfied to have something at which to take offence, creating a storm in a teacup, sniping, jumping in on one side or the other straightaway ( as a new poster) but you know the one thing that has really cut me to the quick was being accused of only knowing about 'six quid bottles ( of wine ) from the supermarket'. Anyway, will be having a break now for a few days and when I come back, I promise to behave better and to have drunk some more expensive wine

Jalima Fri 04-Nov-16 15:07:41

It's quite sunshine today here

Anya Fri 04-Nov-16 09:57:58

Me too Stansgran

Stansgran Fri 04-Nov-16 08:20:04

I think Galen it's why we have All Souls and All Saints days. The glooms waft in at the end of October and the beginning of November. I'm all for hibernation.

Bellanonna Fri 04-Nov-16 00:01:09

Any particular reason, or just generally?

Galen Thu 03-Nov-16 23:56:03

I must admit that recently I'm feeling that ' Timor mortiuis conturbit me'

Judthepud2 Thu 03-Nov-16 23:31:22

It's brilliant roses! Great time travelling opportunity.

rosesarered Thu 03-Nov-16 20:47:59

Thanks, I must go.smile sounds good.

Bellanonna Thu 03-Nov-16 19:21:28

It's on till late Feb, roses. I enjoyed it too, and want to go back.

rosesarered Thu 03-Nov-16 17:37:18

* Penstemmon* how long is the exhibition on for?

Anya Thu 03-Nov-16 15:59:35

You've read the whole thread????

Respect!!

wine

Rigby46 Thu 03-Nov-16 15:53:32

Apologies for disappointing all the conspiracy theorists but here I am again. Thanks Ceesnan for having read my OP. The reason I've been away is nothing to do with GN ( in all senses of the words). BTW I came back from swimming this morning to find a parcel from Laithwaires with 3 bottles of wine inside - a free gift apparently because we'd recommended someone to try them????

Penstemmon Thu 03-Nov-16 12:59:38

If anyone is in striking distance of the V&A I strongly recommend the exhibition "You say you want a Revolution: Rebels and Records"

& be transported back to 1966-1970.

That may bring back lots of positive memories /experiences for some of you on here. DH and I will be returning for a second trip to remind us of our shared adventures in that era!
www.vam.ac.uk/

DaphneBroon Tue 01-Nov-16 21:26:10

A stroke does sap the confidence out of you, that is not just psychological either. DH has had a few TIA's and a "proper" stroke and each time it took many months before he felt able to even be left on his own for more than a quick trip to the shops on my part.
It is a shock though isn't it, when we see contemporaries who appear to have aged overnight, either through physical illness or mental decline - a bit like holding up a very bleak mirror to our faces. Your friend may well make quite an improvement, and having good and patient friends to support her will be very important.
But just as we all look and act differently ,we also age differently so what applies to one dies not apply to us all. I think your song must be "Young at Heart"!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgsv2skSsM&feature=youtube_gdata

Charleygirl Tue 01-Nov-16 20:50:13

wot I could not agree more!

wot Tue 01-Nov-16 20:47:21

You still seem young to me, Annsixty!! ?

annsixty Tue 01-Nov-16 20:21:57

I am an old lady and this afternoon I had tea with two neighbours who I have known for nearly fifty years, one has recently had a slight stroke and it has robbed her of all her confidence. She is fearful, always anxious, doesn't want to go out and all her spark has gone. It upset me to see her like that and I came home feeling like Hendrik Groen in this months book club choice. I feel any future is behind me now if that makes sense. She is 79 like me but I am still young in my head, I think my friend has lost that now.

Judthepud2 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:40:53

Stansgran ✌️️?❤️

janeainsworth Tue 01-Nov-16 18:43:56

Stansgran I think I know what you mean. But you are still that same girl inside. flowersflowers

shandi6570 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:42:00

Stansgran I know just how you feel, me too, even though I have so much to be thankful for. I can remember turning 50 and my DD saying to me that she knew how much I hated getting older. At the time I was really surprised and quite indignant, but now I think that maybe she knew me better than I knew myself confused

Maranta Tue 01-Nov-16 18:41:32

Oh Stansgran flowers. I deliberately didn't listen, as I knew it would upset me.

Stansgran Tue 01-Nov-16 18:01:57

Oh Elegran I went straight to that link and then started playing all the other 1967,San Framcisco ,and My Sweet Lord, songs and started crying!!! I think it was remembering the girl I was and the old woman I am now. Still crying. Peace and love people peace and love.

soop Tue 01-Nov-16 17:35:08

wot Most certainly. wink

TriciaF Tue 01-Nov-16 17:33:48

"Silence is Golden" - good idea, Amen to that.
Or as my Grandma used to say "hold your tongue!"

Anya Tue 01-Nov-16 15:43:32

That's partly because the Beatles wrote it in 4/4 time but he performed it, odd though it may seem, in 3/4 and partly because of the gospel influence Ceesnan.

wot Tue 01-Nov-16 15:43:04

Soop, did his hanky have cardboard on the bottom?!