Gransnet forums

Chat

would you?

(70 Posts)
Morgana Sat 05-Nov-16 20:30:50

My son said today that he thought many women would just keep on having children if they could. Sure I wouldn't but what about you?

luluaugust Sun 06-Nov-16 18:23:29

I also planned to have four but after number three one of the real old midwives (over 40 years ago) told me I had used up all my luck and not to have any more. I didn't!

Barmyoldbat Sun 06-Nov-16 18:28:55

So Peaseblossom in your statement single women with loads of children living off benefits, does this include widows, widowers, and abused women?

1974cookie Sun 06-Nov-16 18:44:07

I wish that I had Children.
I wish that I had someone around to tell me that what I saw my Mum go through when giving birth was normal. I was absolutely terrified as a teenager to see her in such pain as I was on my own with her as she gave birth. She screamed out in pain. I now know this is normal, but I was so really bloody scared at the time.
It put me off for life.
And now I am crying for my missed babies for the first time in my life.

NannyBadcrumble1 Sun 06-Nov-16 18:44:23

I have 2, one of each. Always swore that if I'd have had my son first, then he'd have been an only child, he was a nightmare. (I actually gave birth to him whilst the Exorcist theme was in my birth CD - enough said!) Before I had my daughter I swore I never wanted to have children, wasn't maternal whatsoever.

Maggieanne Sun 06-Nov-16 18:56:23

Barmyoldbat, where did peaseblossom say anything about single women? I think you are waiting to be offended. If you read it, it is says something to the effect that some people have too many children and that it's unfair when those that don't work live off benefits. I agree with her!

Linsco56 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:03:54

1974cookie that is so sad. I hope you have others in your life who you love and who love you.

I had a maiden great-aunt who lived with her unmarried brother and our family looked upon them as an additional set of grandparents. They were dearly loved by all. flowers

SueDonim Sun 06-Nov-16 19:20:51

I'd have liked six, plus two labradors. Instead, I have four children, two of each, spaced over 21 years, and sundry cats.

Three of mine are now married and one is at uni and actually, juggling time for them all plus grandchildren keeps me busy enough, heaven knows how six would have been! grin

Barmyoldbat Sun 06-Nov-16 19:27:19

Sorry thought I saw the word single, but I was wrong on that account but I stand by my statement not because I am looking, as you put it, to be offended but because we just don't know the circumstances that put them in that position. I would agree that there are many that play the system but you can't punish those that don't. I also paid tax and still do but I would rather my money was spent supporting people rather than on say war. Rant over.

Jangran99 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:47:18

My response to the voluntarily childless who rant about subsidising "other people's children" is to point out that when they are dribbling and gaga it is those very children who may be their carers! I have two children and four grandchildren and make no apology for accepti g family allowance. Every pennywe earned was spent on our children's needs right up to university.

Barmyoldbat Sun 06-Nov-16 22:31:35

Couldn't agree more Jangran99

mumofmadboys Mon 07-Nov-16 07:22:35

That must have been a terrible experience as a child 1974 cookie.

Suers Mon 07-Nov-16 08:19:38

I did. I had 11. Hated being pregnant but loved my babies. Wouldn't have wanted it any different.

Falconbird Mon 07-Nov-16 08:28:21

I had three children and one miscarriage. I would have liked 4 children but by the time number three arrived I was absolutely exhausted.

Im68Now Mon 07-Nov-16 08:47:49

We have 3, one of each.

It still makes me laugh after all these years.

TerriBull Mon 07-Nov-16 09:00:24

I don't agree with the OP's son, for example traditional Catholic countries released themselves from the shackles of large families a while back. In Italy it's unusual for women to want molto bambini anymore, the birth rate is now very low with many couples opting for just one child or none. Possibly economic factors have influenced their decisions, fewer young Italians are abe to set up home together and find themeselves living with their parents. Although I also imagine like any culture where women don't or didn't have the option to conrol how many children they have, the perception could also be that large families could mean a life of drudgery.

I'm happy having had two, my husband already had two teenagers when we married but was prepared to have another two (maximum) although he did approach fatherhood again with some trepidation far more aware of the various stages than I was. In hindsight, I wouldn't want to revisit my first son's teenage years again, somewhat challenging, so no on balance I'm glad I didn't have a third one in case he or she would have been more like my 1st than my much easier 2nd. I did want a girl but once I knew my 2nd child was a boy, I made up my mind to accept that, you get what you are given and to stop longing for something that is not to be. Although happily a girl did come along later in the form of our granddaughter.

DanniRae Mon 07-Nov-16 09:18:01

I had three. Two daughters - 23 months apart - and then when my girls were 11 and 13 a son.

So happy to have daughters and a son - the best of both worlds!
smile

harrigran Mon 07-Nov-16 10:13:24

No I would not have carried on having children, I had one of each and that was enough. Did not see the point of putting myself through years of sleepless nights and washing of terry nappies, I didn't know then that they would invent decent disposables and folding buggies.

NonnaW Mon 07-Nov-16 12:09:50

Whilst I would have loved a daughter, after 3 sons, no way would I have continued! I am not the most maternal of people anyway, and struggled quite a lot with them when they were younger. Teen years I found much easier! That said, I am loving time spent with gorgeous step grandson.

callgirl1 Mon 07-Nov-16 17:14:16

Whilst I can understand some folk saying they stopped after 1, 2, or 3 because they couldn`t afford any more, I thought that every time I was pregnant, but the money always stretched somehow, and we weren`t scroungers, my husband always worked, plus me for a good few years. When we were receiving Family Allowance, as it was then called, it wasn`t given for the first child, only from the second onwards.