Gransnet forums

Chat

A funny little story

(28 Posts)
Shanma Wed 09-Nov-16 00:33:04

I was talking to my Son yesterday on the 'phone, asked how DGD ( Aged 3) is. He aid she is fine,m then started to laugh. Apparently when they were in Tesco the other day she spotted an Aubergine, and pleaded with them to buy it! They did, and she will not part with it
, it had to go in room while she slept, then she put it in her bag next day to take to Nursery. Teacher was very good, and they did a
" show and tell" session talking about Aubergines and the like, how proud she was. I just dread how she is going to feel when it starts to shrivel up, hopefully she will have lost interest by then.

Does anyone else on GN want to " Show and tell" something like this ?

Shanma Wed 09-Nov-16 00:34:34

sorry that last post came out a bit scratty, my excuse is it is late! I know I should have checked it over prior to posting but hey ho.

Synonymous Wed 09-Nov-16 01:32:23

That is so cute! Obviously a child of sophisticated taste and discernment! Aubergines are not everyone's favourite veg to actually eat though. I like them if they are not in a dish which is too sloppy but not otherwise. smile

nanaK54 Wed 09-Nov-16 06:39:40

I love your story. An aubergine is a thing of beauty!

ninathenana Wed 09-Nov-16 07:28:54

It's purple, of course she's going to love it grin

DaphneBroon Wed 09-Nov-16 07:40:22

I hope her mummy is ready to sneak in a replacement?

gillybob Wed 09-Nov-16 07:51:37

What's not to like about an aubergine Shanma the gorgeous colour, the smooth, shiny skin. You little GD has such good taste. smile

Lindill49 Wed 09-Nov-16 09:45:39

Just thought I'd share a little funny re granddaughters & veg. Dipping into a bag of healthy veg she exclaimed "Nana - I've eaten mange one and now I'm eating mange two" bless

inishowen Wed 09-Nov-16 09:51:06

When my son was five, a neighbour gave him an old birds nest to take to school for show and tell. When I collected him the young teacher told me she'd had to throw it in the bin. Apparently fleas had jumped all over the children!

grandMattie Wed 09-Nov-16 09:51:09

What a delightful story! Thank you. smile
Aubergines are my favorite vegetable. Perhaps her parents can give her some cooked veg and see what she thinks too...

moobox Wed 09-Nov-16 09:59:18

sounds like an emergency toy aubergine from Amazon may be required, or a formal burial in a moussaka

Thingmajig Wed 09-Nov-16 10:18:47

She sounds a complete joy! smile

Humbertbear Wed 09-Nov-16 10:27:18

On her first day at big school we picked up our GD and took her to lunch at a restaurant called KissKiss. She was so delighted with the name (and her meal) that she told the whole class about it at circle time the next day.

rosesarered Wed 09-Nov-16 10:30:35

My DGS took a bag of conkers for show and tell, he had to get them all out on the teachers desk (not satisfied with half a dozen) and there were hundreds.He then announced proudly that all the children could have some, whereupon there was a mass dive and scrum at the desk by the class and all was chaos.

oldgoose Wed 09-Nov-16 10:33:22

My grand-daughter once fell in love with a coconut !

Granarchist Wed 09-Nov-16 10:35:38

3 yr old grand daughter did something similar at a local garden centre where they have poultry - she spotted a huge duck egg in a pen and the lovely man there said she could go into the pen and have the egg to keep! She would not be parted from it - we were terrified she would drop it - but she managed to get it all the way home and then had it scrambled for her supper -

meandashy Wed 09-Nov-16 10:55:02

That's so cute!
My dd aged around 5 was asked by a teacher what she'd done at the weekend.
She told them she'd had crack! ! I got called into to explain. She'd had crackling from the roast pork!!
Curiously my dgd also 5 , calls crackling broccoli! 😂

winifred01 Wed 09-Nov-16 11:29:09

T my DGDs nursery one little boy said he had been to the zoo at the W/E but said all the animals were dead. Much to everyone s concern . Mum explained they had been to Tring Museum, Rothschild collection of stuffed animals!

David1968 Wed 09-Nov-16 12:13:19

Thanks so much Shanma; what a lovely story to brighten up today! I hope that your DGD comes to terms with the aubergine's eventual "aging". (I'll never look at an aubergine in the same way again!)

Auntieflo Wed 09-Nov-16 12:34:05

That brings back memories of when my Dad was digging up a garden path. Underneath was a huge ants nest, heaving with a activity, and I wanted to take it to school for the nature table. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

jusnoneed Wed 09-Nov-16 13:23:50

lol, she sounds like quite a character and how lovely of your son and his family to go along with it too.

Flossieturner Wed 09-Nov-16 16:36:54

My Son and grandson bought a whole fish in the supermarket. He insisted on carrying around like a baby until they got home. After it was cooked and eaten, he suddenly remembered it and asked where it was. My DiL, not knowing that he had carried it around with him, told him they had eaten it.

He cried so much, saying, "But that was my Pet."

Boolya Wed 09-Nov-16 16:44:00

My lovely grandson aged 2&1/2 when faced with an overlarge garnish of parsley in a restaurant in Kiev loudly announced that he not like eating bushes.

Shanma Wed 09-Nov-16 20:06:11

Some lovely stories here, I feel a bit sad about the " Pet" fish though, Flossie. I can remember when I was a kid, an Auntie of mine had a small china rabbit ornament( She was my Mum's Friend, not a real Auntie). I truly believed that this rabbit had magical powers, each time we visited I was allowed to hold it, carry it, and yes I talked to it all the time. One day we arrived and it had gone!!!
She had given it away to some other child.I was bereft.

I never forgave her, I still don't, and I still believe it was magical.sad

Izabella Wed 09-Nov-16 20:27:37

Oooooh she has taste. I always think Aubergines look mystical, sensual rich and wonderous