Gransnet forums

Chat

Claiming expenses.

(28 Posts)
kittylester Tue 15-Nov-16 15:23:18

What do other Gransnetters do about claiming expenses when volunteering for a charity?

The last charity for which I volunteered (and left amidst lots of acrimony) initially was very generous in the amount one was allowed to claim and we were encouraged to claim for everything and then had the opportunity to donate it back. They then became very penny pinching and changed rhe criteria which caused lots of 'unrest' among the volunteers. It was the reason I left but was indicative of the attitude.

Now, I have to drive to places when I volunteer, I've been given a claim form but no one has asked for me to fill it in and submit it.

I have a dilemma, anyway, in that I don't need the money and I love the volunteering so it's almost a hobby. But, should I claim to set a precedent or not claim?

I should say that my role is fairly newly set up, I'm the only one at any venue so cannot ask any other volunteer. And, I have that British thing of hating to talk about money.

thatbags Thu 17-Nov-16 09:50:07

I don't think volunteers should ever be criticised for claiming allowed expenses. Someone who doesn't actually need the money can always donate it back but by claiming it they are making the point that it's fine for people who might need the money to claim expenses.

jillyco Thu 17-Nov-16 10:52:07

Volunteer drivers for the care group in our village take (mostly elderly) people to hospital appointments, sometimes many miles away, if they are unable to get there by other means. The drivers can claim back their expenses at a set amount per mile (can't remember what it currently is!) and some do and some don't, but nobody would ever be criticised for doing so. The clients are advised as to the cost of their journey and are given an envelope to make a contribution. This is sealed and handed straight to the bank so there is never any embarrassment about amounts contributed. I should add that the care group is never out of pocket and people are so grateful for the service.

My husband's philosophy on volunteering is that he will give his time to anybody who is in need but that his money belongs to his family.