Gransnet forums

Chat

soop's kindly kitcheners and pampered pets...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 03-Dec-16 13:24:43

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and
JOLLY GOOD COMPANY

Welcome...

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 17:36:08

Lovely clip thatbags alas, it had me "welling up"
Robin Williams? RIP
Andrew Sachs? RIP
The Monty Python team reminded me of Terry Jones and his dementia .
Feeling my age perhaps or just thinking of "absent friends"

Must have been a great night though grin

Peep Sat 03-Dec-16 17:37:23

Brilliant Thatbags thank you.

baubles Sat 03-Dec-16 18:02:56

I've spent a couple of hours at DGD's primary school Christmas fayre trying not to spend too much money on tat but all the children in all of the classrooms had made something to sell so I'm now the proud owner of half a dozen Christmas ornaments all of which seem to be coated in a disproportionate amount of glitter.
I hope they raise lots of money for their various charities though.

The horrid cold which has affected so many of you hasn't passed me by and I've been a bit miserable this week but forced myself to go out last night as we'd had tickets for months to see Jools Holland and his completely amazing band and guests. Such a joy it was.

Isn't it lovely how Soop's kitchen draws us together (even although I'm not around much) in times of stress and tension whether on Gnet or in real life.

millymouge Sat 03-Dec-16 18:20:42

Thank you all so much for your support, it's nice to be able to let off steam. She has had UTI's in the past but has just a a specimen tested and that was all O,K. She is absolutely bent double with arthritis and I am sure this affects her a lot. I know the carers are used to people complaining about things missing, but it's not very nice for them and they are so good. They have more patience than me!
We have two rescued greyhounds Charleygirl we think they are lovely!

NanaandGrampy Sat 03-Dec-16 19:03:50

Evening all!

Never apologise here Milly we all understand , and sometimes just writing it all down helps get it out.

Had a lovely few hours celebrating Jacksons 5 th birthday . He was very excited and I'm posting a couple of pictures. Jackson was very happy with his cake and the fact that he got to spend time with his best friend and cousin Stevie.

Cooper was delighted when his Daddy did his hair ( his Mummy was less impressed).

Tomorrow we're taking his present over as we didn't think the restaurant would be happy with it being unpacked on the floor.

Hope you're feeling a little better soop xx

Charleygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 20:16:23

N&G lovely photos as always. Being old fashioned, I am inclined to agree with Cooper's mum regarding his hair! They all had a great time that is the main thing.

millymouge, Daphne also has a rescued greyhound and her beautiful baby is called Grace.

Crafting Sat 03-Dec-16 21:49:02

Been out all day so I thought I would just have a quick dabble on GN to see what's going on and catch up with my fellow kitcheners. Got to the end of the posts about a new kitchen worktop and an aga and suddenly realised ...........we've moved! How did that happen? How did you all go into a new kitchen and I didn't realise confused. More to the point, where's the champers? hmm We always have champers and cake when we move into a new kitchen. Have you lot drunk it all and not left me any shock #verygrumpynow

Welcome Izabelle there was a time when all newcomers brought in cake how nice to meet you.

Good link bags very funny (got any flapjacks?)

Lona have you got here yet (don't think so - no lemon drizzle in sight)

soop hope you feel better soon. Nice new kitchen.

Might as well go to bed then... no cake, no champers sad sigh. Night night everyone. moon

nancyma Sat 03-Dec-16 22:38:35

Crafting thought you might like some of these warm mince pies with just a dab of cream; perhaps just a little grand marnier to go with it ? I'll leave the rest on the side in case anyone needs a snack. Take care

Lona Sat 03-Dec-16 22:47:52

Sorry Crafting, my dd was staying over and I lost track ?
Are you getting fed up with Lemon Drizzle? I'll leave a fresh cream chocolate cake as well, just in case!
I like the look of this new kitchen although it's much larger than before. I'm glad to see that Rory's tartan rug is clean and ready on his chair.
soop I hope you're feeling better sunshine

Crafting Sat 03-Dec-16 22:59:07

Oooh the smell of warm mince pies has just woken me up. Cream and grand marnier too! Lovely smile Thank you nancyma. Delicious ? and I have a little room left for a huge chunk tiny slice of your fresh cream chocolate cake too Lona. Thank you both. #hopei'mnotsicklater! grin

oldgoat Sat 03-Dec-16 23:09:56

Little Oscar's been for his first hair cut today. He looks so small now his curls have been trimmed. Hope it grows again quickly. I think I preferred the scruffy look.

cornergran Sun 04-Dec-16 00:13:16

Thought I'd pop in while I had the chance. Pleased I found the new kitchen. Sorry, no time for baking, life is overly busy with general commitments (some are fun) and a need to spend a lot of time supporting our friend post hospital discharge. All I can say is families sure can make life difficult and we are very grateful for ours. I'm looking and sounding cheerful enough, underneath I'm so worried, who would have thought I would make an actress? Not me! smile.

Sorry you are unwell, soop. I believe there is no proven link but more than one health professional has told me their opinion is that there is a link between fibro and an impaired immune system. I know I am very susceptible to infections of all kinds, keep warm and rest as much as you can, sometimes the best way to get better is just to wait out the sysmptoms. I'm also thinking about all those colds bags has, coincidence maybe but I do wonder. Mine seem to be throat and skin related. Still, what would I know, I'm no doctor.

Christmas has been installed with us today. I feel better seeing them as I love the lights. Fairly minimal overall but lots of lights. If there are power cuts you know who to blame grin.

Love the photos and daphne's rhymes, it is so helpful to be able to creep in and see or read something to lift the spirits.

I have a good friend who has been vegan for years gagagran, I always opt out of cooking for her blush but she tells me that Jaimie Oliver has some decent vegan recipes and also the BBC food links contain a lot of vegan stuff that in her opinion you wouldn't know is vegan. Hope that helps. Otherwise Waitrose as others have said.

Sorry there are so many poorly or generally struggling people in the kitchen. [hugs] to all. I'm hoping for a good nights sleep and wishing the same for you all.

thatbags Sun 04-Dec-16 08:10:05

I hope you got your good night's sleep, corner. I did. That's interesting about fibro affecting one's immune system. If true it would seem to make sense in my case as I rarely got colds until fibro was diagnosed. Took a couple of antihistamines yesterday morning as my 48-hour headache still hadn't gone. They seemed to help.

I had fun bonfiring. Here's the fire dying down, my fire 'poker', and where I hang my jacket when I've warmed up.

Well, here they would be if the photos would load!

thatbags Sun 04-Dec-16 08:11:46

fire

thatbags Sun 04-Dec-16 08:18:57

poker

thatbags Sun 04-Dec-16 08:22:50

coat hook

cornergran Sun 04-Dec-16 08:34:55

Morning bags, I slept for 7 hours, wonderful.

Your fire reminds me of our elder son who is the family pyromaniac. Always something burning there smile. First had fibro diagnosed 24 years ago. CFS 26 years ago, so met with far too many medical professionals. My current GP believes there is a link, with impaired immunity, the last one didn't. Like the approach of a rheumatologist who declared no harm in considering anything as so little is actually proven.

Have a good day everyone. Hope you feel better soop, please listen to your body and if it says rest then that's the best thing to do. We're looking after the littlest for a couple of days so much laughter on the horizon for us. It's a treat to have that time.

annsixty Sun 04-Dec-16 09:07:33

I will add another "I wonder if", my GS is nearly 18, when he was 12/13 he was very ill and was diagnosed with osteomyelitis, he had 5 GAs in 8 days and came out of hospital after 18 days in a wheelchair and was on intravenous antibiotics for 8 weeks, he has never been well since and has been diagnosed with CFS/ME.
One consultant told my D the ab's destroyed his natural gut flora and now he goes down with everything going, including a constant eye infection. There are too many people saying the same thing for it just to be a coincidence.

Charleygirl Sun 04-Dec-16 10:16:22

oldgoat the expression on Oscar's face tells me that he does not want another trim anytime soon and he was quite happy with his long locks thank you. He is cuddly and gorgeous- could I borrow him for a day? We would have great fun here, Tara is out but she would be jealous when she came home, sniffing around wondering who the predator had been.

nancyma Sun 04-Dec-16 11:21:43

Soops I do hope you feel much better and are being thoroughly spoiled and cosseted. I'm fairly new to this thread but I already feel at home. By the way I have 5 dogs, Rupert, Rosie and Maya (yellow labs) Alfie a small black terrier and Pumpkin a Bichon Frisée. They all send their very best wishes for a speedy recovery with lots of wagging tails.

soop Sun 04-Dec-16 12:19:14

Whew! You lot have been busy. It will take an age to read all your messages.
Welcome, nancyma. I really would love to see a photo of your boys and girls. The names alone are lovely.

Back to read catch-up. Bear with me. x

Charleygirl Sun 04-Dec-16 12:40:22

nancyma you are very welcome here, especially with such a gorgeous selection of dogs. Not too sure if I would like the responsibility of exercising them but cuddling them, no problem at all.

The sun is out here but it is very cold. The lodger has been out for hours as usual.

soop Sun 04-Dec-16 12:51:53

Welcome, Peep Any calorie-free cake to share? Make yourself comfortable and us lot will help to eat it.

bags I very much like your coat hook. Bags of character. smile

NanaandGrampy So Stevie was well enough to celebrate with his best friend in the whole wide world. grin I bet the party was noisy. ..as all good parties should be. Jackson's balloon hat would go down well with Torben. I wouldn't say no to wearing one either. I happen to like Cooper's hairdo. It suits him.

baubles I've missed you. Whenever I refer to you (when talking to MacSporran) I always describe you as 'the pretty lady who helped me down the steps, when we met in Glasgow.'

Crafting I'm sorry that the others have quaffed all the bubbly. Never mind. I shall make a large jug of Bucks Fizz and share it and Lona's award winning drizzle cake with you. Are you sitting comfortably...wink

oldgoat Don't let Oscar hear you say 'scruffy'. He would prefer Bohemian. Anyway, he looks adorable and will need a wee warm coat when he goes on walks.

millymouge Arthritis pain is a buggeration. If only we could all grow old disgracefully and remain fit as any youngster. Not too much to ask, methinks.

nancyma You know how to spoil us something rotten. flowers

corner I enjoyed reading your message. You are doing your best for your friend. It can't all be down to you. Others need to contribute time and a bit of effort too.
Have fun with the littlest. We've the best memories ever of time spent with a little Torben.
I still feel awful. There was blood in my wee on Friday. GP changed the antibio's and now I feel sick and have a stiff neck. Sorry to groan. This too shall pass.

ann Your poor grandson. What a horrible experience for one so young.

soop Sun 04-Dec-16 12:55:39

Charleyg Rory stood on the step (I held the door open) he sniffed the cold air, turned around and returned to his rug. Leaving me to close the door. A cat that knows a thing or two. hmm

cornergran Sun 04-Dec-16 13:56:26

Groan away, soop, I'm sure its beneficia, the type of infection you have is simply horrid and lowered resilience always but always encourages fibro pain to have a bit of a shout, instead of a whisper. So please look after yourself and allow some pampering, too.

ann's comments about her grandson are interesting, I first became unwell after taking anti biotics for 6 months in an attempt to clear recurrent UTI's which were my companion for far too many years and had begun to impact my kidneys. In fairness the UTI's disappeared! No doctor at the time would accept a link, my lovely nutritionist helped me re-build internally saying the same thing about gut flora and gradually the symptoms subsided to allow life to go on. Now more and more doctors are at least considering the link between impaired immunity and these horrid illnesses. Sometimes common sense does prevail grin. I still have to be careful with diet and supplement as necessary. Ann if there is an experienced and well qalified nutritionist in the area it might be worth a chat for your grandson, sometimes they can offer the hope that a more traditional approach doesn't .

Just on a final sort before littlest, really looking forward to a special couple of days I doubt there will be much space for the computer so will do my best to catch up with everyone on Wednesday. I have managed some advanced baking this morning, so plenty of my 'what to cook in a rush cake' of lemon and almond to share.

Keep warm, safe and well everyone.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion