Gransnet forums

Chat

Little things that have made you happy today

(458 Posts)
Pigglywiggly Mon 05-Dec-16 13:15:04

Our local NatWest plays hideous music, really loudly. I really hate going in there, but had promised to pay some money into my son's account.
I was dreading it - but I opened the door and ...silence. I was so excited that for once it was just like a Bank and not Primani!
It made my day.

EllenT Mon 05-Dec-16 20:22:12

Today's Edinburgh Gransnet meet over a good Christmas lunch. wineroastchicken

Elegran Mon 05-Dec-16 20:26:04

Realising that the unsuitable present I had bought for one person and thought I had wasted money on will be excellent for someone else. I still have to find a better replacement to give to person one, but not something for person two as well.

Linsco56 Mon 05-Dec-16 20:54:02

grin On first reading I thought you had posted another riddle.

whitewave Mon 05-Dec-16 20:58:59

Today what made me happy was a walk on the Downs in the sun, sparkling frost and a robin in some bushes singing his heart out.

Nana3 Mon 05-Dec-16 21:03:59

JackyB. Laws about car seats about to change. Have a wonderful time, best wishes.

Elegran Mon 05-Dec-16 21:05:11

Every year I plan to buy things gradually, Linsco but whenever I do it is like having a riddle to solve. Remember those where you had to say who lived where, drove which car, had which birthday and what their job was?

Who did I mean this for? If I give that to A and that to B, what can I give C that is approximately the same value as what I give A? It can't be this because last year I gave him something almost the same. B is allergic to wool and D hates green. Why did I buy this monstrosity anyway? It must have been reduced in the sale.

Linsco56 Mon 05-Dec-16 21:24:31

grin grin grin. It all helps to keep the old grey cells ticking over.

Grannyknot Mon 05-Dec-16 22:20:17

The builders have gone grin

It means we now have a downstairs bedroom with energy suite loo so today I didn't go upstairs at all between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.! I might just move in there and pretend I have a one bedroom flat with a handsome lodger upstairs!

Grannyknot Mon 05-Dec-16 22:20:55

En suite, stupid auto correct.

rubylady Tue 06-Dec-16 06:12:41

Tidied up my bedroom at 2am and then coming back downstairs, put the telly on, watching Crystal Maze, cup of tea, heating fired up and snuggling my doggie with a warm blanket. Bliss. Need some sleep now though. smile

kittylester Tue 06-Dec-16 06:37:36

New car seat rules apply to NEWLY bought seats, I think.

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 06:55:28

I don't think they do Kitty

kittylester Tue 06-Dec-16 07:10:45

That nice man on Breakfast said they did, that's where I get all my info! grin

J52 Tue 06-Dec-16 07:17:25

Rules only apply to new seats. In fact in an emergency children can travel in the back seat only with an adult belt.

JackyB Tue 06-Dec-16 07:17:39

note to self: I'll have to check out the German laws re car seats.

Have fun, Edinburgh!

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 07:18:59

Under the new rules, backless booster seats will only be approved for use for children taller than 125cm and weighing more than 22kg. So to me that says that it's nothing to do with the seat, it's the height and age of the child.

BUT you might be correct Kitty as some reports are saying if you bought the seat before today then they don't apply, which is odd.

Coventry doesn't have to comply with this ruling until March 2017 which is even odder!!!

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 07:29:49

Why are we talking about car seats on a 'happy' thread?

Something that made me happy yesterday was that my son and his family will NOT be moving away sunshine

kittylester Tue 06-Dec-16 07:58:37

I thought someone would be happy not to have to buy new ones.

As you were!!

That's good news Anya

One thing that make me happy yesterday was writing my cards because it looms large till I've done it! I wrote 40 after some serious culling. I've left 3 for DH to do. grin

I'm less happy about the glitter that I can't get off my face. confused

Anya Tue 06-Dec-16 08:18:34

grin

Don't make me laugh please Kiity - it brought on a coughing fit!!

Barmyoldbat Tue 06-Dec-16 08:50:38

Woke up pain free despite reducing steriods...yipee

whitewave Tue 06-Dec-16 10:15:11

Happy walking in fog on the Downs -so quiet with birds singing. Incredibly mild. I could see the sun on the sea and by the time I go t back to the car the fog had lifted and there was blue sky.

Annakist Tue 06-Dec-16 10:35:29

Very occasional poster, but this has just made me happy.

Postman brought the car tax reminder this morning, so I went online and renewed. Took about 5 minutes, whilst I enjoyed a cup of tea and a mince pie. I remember so well in the 'old days' the very long queues in the post office, having collected all the relevant bits of paper required, and the glares from those behind as getting a renewed tax disc was such a long and detailed process

Disgruntled Tue 06-Dec-16 10:40:02

Some fab answers! Two copies of Alan Bennett's latest book have just arrived - can I keep one? :-)

blueberry1 Tue 06-Dec-16 10:48:42

The young man who works part time in my local shop gave me his phone number to call him if it snows and I can't get out on my mobility scooter.He said he will deliver any shopping that I need.
Totally unexpected and above the call of duty,he has restored my faith in young people.

Tudorrose Tue 06-Dec-16 10:53:17

Seeing a robin & a blackbird pecking about together in the garden. They are both very territorial birds with their own kind but seem to derive some security being together, we see them nearly every day but it still gives my heart a lift