Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas decorations

(56 Posts)
Marion88 Wed 07-Dec-16 15:09:20

They seem so sophisticated and stylish these days. The ones I remember most fondly involved silver tinsel and those sugar paper paper chain sets that you had to lick and stick yourself. The colours were all quite muted and the glue tasted awful but they looked so lovely and I still think they are better than all the high tech stuff you get these days. More thought gone into them I suppose

mrmhf Mon 28-Dec-20 21:21:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

silverlining48 Sun 11-Dec-16 13:18:50

We lit real candles in a real tree. They were fixed with a special holder which clipped into the branches. What a fire hazard. Paper chains were fun. I got some in a pound shop but when we opened the packets the glue,if there had been any, had dried.

annodomini Sun 11-Dec-16 09:57:47

When I was very small, during the War, real Christmas trees were in short supply and artificial ones had not been invented. So my dad went out into the garden and cut off some branches of the privet hedge to make us a Christmas tree. He had managed to procure some lights and I think some pre-war decorations came from granny who lived nearby. My aunt brought some strips of brown paper from the office and borrowed a stapler which we used to make a paper chain.

J52 Sun 11-Dec-16 09:18:43

I too have boxes of glass Woolworth baubles, with the Winfield make. DH and I bought them the first Christmas after we were married. Along with some 'fairy' lights. The lights stopped working only a couple of years ago! (40 years ) I'm sure they must have been unsafe for several years.

The baubles go on the tree every year, although they don't seem quite as bright as the newer ones.

As for garlands etc: I am now very wary of anything that would set the burglar alarm off falling down or swaying.

Lupin Sun 11-Dec-16 08:33:29

When I was a kid we used to love the old decorations that came out every year. They disappeared somewhere along the line as we grew up. In our own family unit we created another set. I loved the gold painted and be-glittered fir cones that we adapted to hang on the tree. Each generation that has come along loves making paper chains and seeing them hung up.
These days I have a small fibre optic tree, but those big family Christmases with a real tree hung with faded baubles - - are cherished memories. I really don't miss falling pine needles and disposing of the tree afterwards though. We still laugh over the tree that was nearly bald by 12th night.

Swanny Sat 10-Dec-16 21:54:01

When my sister and I were children our tree and decorations went up on Christmas Eve, after we'd gone to bed. Always a real one of course and always lit with candles in clip-on holders. The candles were only lit while we were eating or playing board games, safely sat at the table with mother and grandmother, while father dozed by the fire!

Somebody always bought us a compendium of games each year - ludo, snakes and ladders, tiddlywinks etc. All little bits made with flimsy cardboard, apart from the counters that fell out of the box every time it was moved. It never lasted very long but I always looked forward to getting one.

People used to post parcels around the country at Christmas and I remember the GPO would hire great big furniture vans to make their Christmas deliveries. Oh the excitement when the children saw one pulling into the street - whose house was it going to?

watermeadow Sat 10-Dec-16 21:02:13

Next weekend I'll bring in the Christmas tree and I've collected lots of evergreens, berries and fir ones and dried slices of oranges. I only use natural decorations for the house.
This year's tree is tiny so most of the old decorations will stay in the box and only my favourites will go on the tree. I'm going sparse and simple in my old age.

Funnygran Sat 10-Dec-16 20:11:08

A friend of my mother's knitted a little Father Christmas for the top of the tree for my DD's first Christmas - she's 41 now. I wrap it up and put it away each year and it still looks as good as new. I think everyone would be disappointed if he didn't make his appearance every year.

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 17:51:24

Nelliemoser I've been doing it wrong all these years

I am going to get the DGD on to the decorating, five year olds have the right idea, just throw it all on there.

Oh! It's OK to have one or two special baubles but they should come in groups of 5 or 6
Put them on one at a time? - I always try to put on half a dozen at once, fingers get a bit tangled.

Oh, I need a wine and a jump on the trampoline!
Damn, Buster got there first.

fiorentina51 Sat 10-Dec-16 17:12:47

Oh my, what a faff!
Thirty to forty-five minutes tweaking your tree into a natural shape? We used to get our trees from a forest plantation, choosing it in October and digging it up a week or two before the great day. Many's the time we have brought home what we thought was the perfect sized tree, only to find out that it was several feet too tall or took up half the living room and you had branches covering the sofa. Out would come the shears and the poor old tree would end up looking like a huge, green lollipop! Once we had to tie the tree to the curtain rail as it was in danger of falling over. Happy days. ?

Nelliemoser Sat 10-Dec-16 16:20:42

www.facebook.com/JohnLewisRetail/videos/vb.145210795501787/1265751806781008/?type=2&theater¬if_t=like¬if_id=1481382803262808

You might enjoy this. We have clearly been decorating our trees all wrong. ;)
It made me laugh.

VIOLETTE Sat 10-Dec-16 16:07:51

Ha ! happy memories ! Nearly 70 years ago my brother and I would make endless streams of paper chains ....and we had some tissue fold up bells as well ,,,and blowing up balloons ..one year from somewhere we got this terrible black stuff in a tube which made odd balloons ! AND the real tree had real candles held on the branches by tiny candle holders ,,,,think 'elf n safety would have a fit now ! no one's tree I ever knew set fire to the house ..whereas now I sadly often read of fires caused by the electric lights on a tree !

joannewton46 Sat 10-Dec-16 16:06:53

I can't stand the "interior decorator" style of decorations ie all one colour on a tree eg all blue on white tree - far too artificial. I love lots of colour, lots of (non-flashing) lights and tinsel. Our daughter lives with us and refuses to get rid of the 40yr old lantern-shaped lights even though they don't work any more because she loves the shape.

Marelli Sat 10-Dec-16 15:38:21

allule, we had a tree just the same as yours, I think! I was born in 1950, but I think the tree was bought many years before that. It was dark-green and similar to a bottle-brush. The decorations for it included clip-on fragile glass birds with nylon tails and the lights... oh, the lights were so beautiful (I thought!) Little candles were also clipped on to the tree, but thankfully never lit.
The tree was kept in a 'mysterious' cupboard in my parents' room. That added to the magic, I suppose!

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 14:26:34

Our local yarn shop had a knitted Nativity displayed in the window last year; I did think of making it all but never got around to it.

That's a lovely idea, passing it round and letting the children keep a lamb.

Rinouchka Sat 10-Dec-16 14:21:13

That is absolutely charming Yorkshiregel. Such an imaginative idea and so homely, in the nicest sense of the word. Wish it might be adopted elsewhere!

Yorkshiregel Sat 10-Dec-16 14:12:22

Thought I would tell you about something my GS had this year. It is called 'The travelling Nativity' and is made up of knitted/hand made animals and people. Each family at the church has a turn at having it before passing it on to someone else, and each child in every family gets to keep one of the knitted lambs. I think it is a lovely idea, and it teaches the children all about the Christmas story.

Yorkshiregel Sat 10-Dec-16 14:04:11

I forgot the tiny crackers for the tree, and the wreath for the front door, all home made of course.

Yorkshiregel Sat 10-Dec-16 14:02:12

When I was a child the tree and room decorations were mostly made by us children. Paper chains, snowflake cutouts for the window, a fairy or star for the top of the tree, and Christmas cards on a ribbon. The tree was made sparkly with tinsel and silver or gold painted fir cones. Paper hats made out of tissue paper or newspaper, a snowman made from cottonwool, and the main feature which was made by our mother was a ball made from two hoops and covered in holy from the garden, plus a sprig of mistletoe. For the nativity we had a pop up Christmas scene out of a book. Meant so much more to us than these modern decorations.

Foxyferret Sat 10-Dec-16 13:41:32

Does anyone remember those strips of foil, silver on one side coloured on the other.? They were sort of corrugated. You would twist them and hang them over the fireplace so that they spun round and round with the hot air from the fire. As kids, we thought they were the most beautiful things ever.

Auntieflo Sat 10-Dec-16 13:12:52

A couple of months ago, whilst having a sort out, I came across a little cardboard box, with a small glass bauble in each section. The box was from Woolworth's and has the name Winfield printed on the outside. These little things are quite fragile and have wire loops to attach them to the tree. I can't bring myself to lose them now.

Maccyt1955 Sat 10-Dec-16 13:08:10

Has anyone noticed that vintage decorations are very much back in fashion. I hate soulless hi-tech, so called 'tasteful' decorations. The more tinsel, coloured lights and home made decs the better. I own some coloured lights that my parents had, and these are so treasured, plus the now distinctly fragile fairy that is as old as I am. It always goes on the top of the tree, together with ancient decorations my children made at school. Now my father has died, and my mother has vascular dementia, these things matter more than ever.

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Dec-16 12:53:56

When the DC were very young I bought a big Lladro nativity stable when a local china shop closed down - even at 75% off it was much more than I could really afford, but I just loved it. It had no figures with it, which is why a note now resides in its box for when I pop my clogs. "This stable is Lladro and worth something. The figures are Wilko and aren't".

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Dec-16 12:49:47

We have a couple of glass baubles from my childhood tree, but a lot have been smashed over time. The remaining ones are right at the top of the tree, away from little hands and the cat's tail.

When we were clearing out my DMIL's house, I came across her little collection of pretty glass decorations, carefully painted shells, exquisite pictures cut from old Christmas cards and fastened with ribbon. I put the box to one side to take home later and my unsentimental DBIL gathered it up with the stuff he was taking to the tip - he couldn't believe I would want "that old tat". I was distraught (still am, if I dwell on it! grin)

fiorentina51 Sat 10-Dec-16 12:29:22

We still have a glass bird with a feathered tail. It belonged to my MIL and dates from the 1930's.
We have always had a real tree but have an artificial one in a box in the loft ready for the time we can no longer cope with putting up the natural variety.