Gransnet forums

Chat

How to survive January?

(91 Posts)
Teetime Thu 29-Dec-16 11:39:11

Oh dear January looms. I said to DH this morning we must keep busy and then it will go all the faster. Anyone got any plans on how to get through January cheerfully?

silverlining48 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:06:53

Marnie, hope the operation goes/ has gone well and happy birthday to those with a january birthday. To those like us, jetting off to the sunshine, enjoy and try not to think about just how cold we will feel when we get back home. Brrrrrrr

M0nica Tue 03-Jan-17 09:11:31

If we didn't have winter would we enjoy spring so much?

harrysgran Mon 02-Jan-17 11:06:21

I don't like January going to work and coming home in the dark I just hope for decent weather as I hate driving in bad weather just wish I could retiresmile

silverlining48 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:30:27

Lucky us, we are off to cuba for 3 weeks cekebrating my husbands 70 th. Back in time for february and the bulbs in bloom.

merlotgran Sun 01-Jan-17 13:49:43

Same here, Barmyoldbat but I refuse to think about it. I still have six months left of being in my sixties.

Phoebes Sun 01-Jan-17 13:35:54

Even though it's my birthday month, too, I still don't like January, it's so dark and gloomy. I would really like to hibernate - hedgehogs and squirrels have the right idea! I do try to have a Girls' Night Out on my birthday though. Cheers us all up!

Barmyoldbat Sun 01-Jan-17 08:54:37

Don't get back until mid January so its not too bad, also my big 70 this year and trying to decide what to do to celebrate it.

GadaboutGran Sun 01-Jan-17 08:50:20

I love January with the first snowdrops & hints of spring & days beginning to lengthen. I think times to be inside & reflect, preferably in front of a roaring fire )if someone else cleans it out!) are really important to enjoying the reat of the year. But this year I shall extend my 70th birthday celebrations for as long as possible.

Ana Sat 31-Dec-16 21:47:01

1974??? Blimey, that takes me back a bit...hmm

Bez1989 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:42:23

E N J O Y 1974....
My January isn't looking so bad.
Jan 8th our family, including our 2 FAB
GRAND DAUGHTERS are coming for a SECOND Christmas as we were unable to spend DEC 25th with them.
So it's cold meats salad and scrumptious cold sweets, after PRESSIES !
Some of theirs will be hidden around the room in "empty boxes" so it'll be "hunt the pressies" game.
So looking forward to it all.sunshinewine

winifred01 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:57:57

Off to Spain for 2 weeks! Love a winter holiday- don't mind being home the rest of the year. No dreary days, lots of light.

1974cookie Sat 31-Dec-16 17:34:39

My birthday is in January too. Last year, as it was my Big birthday, my closest Chums and I went for a champagne afternoon tea at a swish Hotel.
We had such a wonderful time that we each made a pact to put the money aside each week to enable us to do it again next year.
We each put aside just £1 a week which more than covers the cost of the champagne tea and it has given us all something to look forward to post Christmas.
January can be such a dreary month, so this is our way of bringing a bit of cheer into it and by golly, it certainly worked last year.
Happy New Year to You All.

Marnie Sat 31-Dec-16 16:40:22

I have an operation this week then when that is over I want to finish decluttering and then start sewing and knitting until the weather warms up and I can get into the garden Should keep January busy.

Daisyboots Sat 31-Dec-16 16:39:59

I always looked forward to January because it was my lovely Mum's birthday. Today I had a reminder of the fact from Moonpig which made me sad as she died two years ago so won't be celebrating her 100th birthday on the 7th. On Tuesday I am flying to England for the funeral of my oldest friend and would far rather it to be a trip to see her. . It means leaving my DH at home on his own which isn't good with his PTSD. Still, as long as there is no fog to delay the flight home, I will only be away for 48 hours. Then we can start planning some trips including celebrating the Chinese New Year on the 28th in the Algarve with good friends.
Congratulations Sue1169 on the birth of your grandson. I can imagine how excited you must be for your flight tomorrow.

LouLou21 Sat 31-Dec-16 16:11:43

Well it's my grandsons 4th birthday party and then I'm off to find the sun in Portugal for two weeks then I'm back for two weeks and off to Egypt for three weeks I do this every year and hardly notice the winter at all. I highly recommend it.

rosemary55 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:41:52

Love January, 1st is DH Birthday, out for family meal, off to fuerventura midweek (lovely and warm there) back for my birthday, another family meal and catch up. The following week is DD's Birthday another get together, the last week is meeting up with old work colleagues. Then its on to February onwards and upwards. Try and Enjoy everyday whist you can, even the simple things like going for a walk,reading, knitting, and even that pile of paperwork that just keeps getting bigger !!

hulahoop Sat 31-Dec-16 14:05:27

Congratulations on new arrival sue enjoy them cuddles. Sill up I am like you just glad to be here to see it .

BRedhead59 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:03:59

Fill it with interesting things
A show, play, a cinema film
A weekend with friends
A holiday
Starting a new project/activity/class

Ankers Sat 31-Dec-16 13:07:26

Because I think the first couple of weeks of feb at least, tend to be more of the same of january perhaps?

gulligranny Sat 31-Dec-16 13:01:31

I always dread snow so don't like January/February. However, DH's birthday is in the middle of Jan, oldest friend's 70th at the end of the month, U3A meetings, grandchild-minding, then middle of Feb I'm going to the David Hockney exhibition - it'll fly by and then Spring will be upon us. And meanwhile I have an excuse (not that I need one) to snuggle down with a good book, a cup of tea and a lovely fire!

mrshat Sat 31-Dec-16 12:59:59

I'm not a great lover of January but I find February very difficult! No idea why tho' confused

Esspee Sat 31-Dec-16 12:10:05

Who knows what January will bring, December has been so unusual with only three really cold days. This is the first I remember being able to garden between Christmas and New Year. Managed to get the cherry tree pruned which is a weight off my mind and our brown bin is full to overflowing with cut back vegetation. Next week, if the dry weather continues, my OH says he will rebuild my compost heaps after he cuts the grass! I am going to be so far ahead when spring arrives. smile It is a bit windy today but temperatures still in double figures, a couple of nights ago it stayed double figures overnight! Guess where we are? Bonnie Scotland!
So to all of you Happy Hogmanay and a Guid New Year when it comes.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 31-Dec-16 11:57:16

I would like to hibernate from end of October until beginning of March and then come into life like our gardens come into life from their long winter sleep and with their energy renewed.
I promise myself each year that through these dreary months I will clear out cupboards ready to dispose of things I never use or clothes I do not need. Maybe even do a bit of interior decorating.
Do I achieve this? No.

Kim19 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:54:40

Love all the positive thinking here. Thanks ladies. For me it's one social activity a day no matter how small. Ticks me over nicely.

bunny17 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:22:13

When I was a kid I hated January - now i quite like it - I like the dark mornings. the quietness and the getting back to normal - as long as the weather isnt too bad its quite nice now lol.