Gransnet forums

Chat

Shopping in your p.j.s

(165 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sat 07-Jan-17 13:06:47

A customer recently complained to Tesco regarding people shopping in their pyjamas. I saw the article on a Facebook page and commented that I felt it was not the right attire for doing ones shopping. I was amazed at the response. Most of the commentators felt it was perfectly fine and I was being judgemental . I just felt standards are slipping to a new low . I remember my mother's disgust at women who shopped with their hair in curlers , what she'd say to this I dread to think. Is it o.k. to shop in your night clothes ?

Anniebach Sat 07-Jan-17 16:27:26

No way would I shop in my Jammies or nightdresses , with Tigger, Piglet and Poo across the front !

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 16:40:20

Actually, that's a point! If grannies suddenly started going shopping in their night attire people would think they'd got dementia...

At the very least, they'd probably think it was 'disgusting' that old women were allowed in supermarkets dressed like that. Ageism!

thatbags Sat 07-Jan-17 16:42:22

Some of my pyjamas are just old clothes Stick some shoes on and a jumper and no-one would know I wasn't fully dressed. That's the way to do it (who said that?). Sooty?

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 16:54:20

I thought it was Mr Punch (or one of the Punch and Judy ensemble)

Apparently pyjamas are quite a fashionable attire amongst slebs but I wouldn't go out in mine!
www.elle.com/fashion/celebrity-style/g28609/celebrities-wearing-pjs/

I just think they are ridiculous

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 16:56:01

If you haven't heard of many of them, don't worry.
Neither have I.

Beammeupscottie Sat 07-Jan-17 16:58:49

I put my face on and dress nicely to put out the bins! But, nightwear as we know it (jams and nighties) are going out of fashion to be replaced by lounge-wear you can sleep in. I don't wear nighties or pj's. I wear old leggings and t-shirts as I find them more comfortable. My dressing gown is a fleece kaftan I have worn for 5 years. All these worn indoors and out of public sight.

JackyB Sat 07-Jan-17 16:58:58

None of my family own - or wear - pyjamas. If anything, tee shirt and underpants for bed. If the boys pull a pair of jeans over that, hey presto, they're dressed. Anyway, it's not a thing in Germany at all - I haven't heard anyone complain about it here.

tanith Sat 07-Jan-17 17:09:52

I would like to add I don't actually wear my pjs in bed just for lounging around grin. Seriously Beammeupscottie you put make up on and dress up to take the bins out? You must live in a very posh area.

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 17:13:58

Jeans on over underpants they've slept in all night? hmm

MargaretX Sat 07-Jan-17 17:23:02

If these clothes are just elasticated waistband trousers and a teeshirt then Ok but I thought the point of real night clothes was that you got into a clean bed with clean clothes on.

Not clothes you've been shopping in.

M0nica Sat 07-Jan-17 17:26:54

Strikes me as very unhygenic. Are these women just getting out of bed, staying in the same pyjamas all day going to bed and not changing and presumably doing the same again, yuk! Are they washing their faces and teeth and brushing their hair or are they all towsled? Pyjamas and halitosis?

I presume they have the 'luxury' of not needing to work. If you have a job to go to you are up and dressed and ready to go, whatever your hours are.

My views are quite unequivocal, wearing your pyjamas out of the house because you cannot be bothered to dress is slovenly and I would not want to employ anyone who took not caring that far.

grannypiper Sat 07-Jan-17 17:28:42

dorsetpennt Yes you were being judgemental and whats wrong with that ? we all judge other people by their behaviour, thats human nature, we judge people, situations and places thats how we have got to where we are as a species.
Anyone who says they never judge other people are lying to themselves, what they mean is they dont voice their judgements so they can be seen as superior and worthy.
Since it became unfashionable to judge the morals of this country have gone to hell in a hand cart. Yes i believe its up to the individual to live their life as they see fit but dont expect everyone else to like your choice or to have the same view. I normally find the most judgemental are the ones with "only god can judge me" tattoos.

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 17:39:04

At one time Tesco in Cardiff banned people from shopping in their pyjamas and a headmistress last year asked parents not to take children to school in pjs.

I suppose someone could now say that they are not the pyjamas they wear for bed - they are the height of fashion like the celebs:

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 17:39:24

please don't ask me who they are!

stillaliveandkicking Sat 07-Jan-17 17:47:11

I quite like the idea myself. Haven't got the guts to wear the full bedtime rig out though including dressing gown. I do however leave my bottoms on, stick a t-shirt on the top part and a long coat.

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 17:49:32

Here's an article about the incident this week, with photo!

What amused me most was Tesco's response to the customer's complaint 'Thank you for...etc. I hope you are well'. grin

www.itv.com/news/granada/2017-01-05/customers-rant-at-disgusting-tesco-shoppers-in-pjs/

Izabella Sat 07-Jan-17 17:50:04

When we both worked shifts years ago one frequently took the other to work in nightwear so we could get back to bed quickly. We shared a car and when on opposite shifts made sense. Of course, guess which one of us was stopped by the police early one morning ............. ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Jan-17 18:01:03

But as others have asked, if people wear their pyjamas outside, when do they wash? Surely people aren't getting up, showering, then putting on clean pyjamas to go out? If they don't, they must reek.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 07-Jan-17 18:04:07

I personally only bath 3 times a week. My skin is fabulous for my age grin

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 18:21:05

Actually, I think it would take quite a while until I actually reeked.

You certainly don't need to shower or bathe every day unless you're doing heavy manual work or getting dirty in ome other way(!).

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 18:21:30

some

TerriBull Sat 07-Jan-17 18:28:40

It's slovenly and hard to get into the mindset of anyone who would go out, albeit very close to home in their dressing gown and slippers. However, infinitely preferable to walking about with one's personal parts exposed shock

BlueBelle Sat 07-Jan-17 18:29:49

Well I wash my hair in the shower so it's an every morning job for me, I feel really mucky if I don't have a shower every morning which is only a feeling as I don't do anything in bed but sleep ( ?) I have seen mums drive their kids to school in their pjs (the mums not the kids) and I ve seen young people (teens) out in onesies

You ll tell me next they turn their knicks inside out to get an extra day out of them ?

downtoearth Sat 07-Jan-17 18:42:37

I like pj's for lounging in, I don't sleep in them ,if I decide to have a lazy day I will shower put on jewellery and make up and clean pj's,which are only ever worn once..I have done the bus stop run early in pj's and showered on return...one bathroom and 3 people needing it is a pain..it goes on need to get out on time ..I am last....I shower and wash my hair everyday...I love my lounging pj's

AlieOxon Sat 07-Jan-17 18:50:24

I was a bit surprised to see a large man in a tiger onesie outside Sainsbury's one day....