Gransnet forums

Chat

Shopping in your p.j.s

(165 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sat 07-Jan-17 13:06:47

A customer recently complained to Tesco regarding people shopping in their pyjamas. I saw the article on a Facebook page and commented that I felt it was not the right attire for doing ones shopping. I was amazed at the response. Most of the commentators felt it was perfectly fine and I was being judgemental . I just felt standards are slipping to a new low . I remember my mother's disgust at women who shopped with their hair in curlers , what she'd say to this I dread to think. Is it o.k. to shop in your night clothes ?

Ana Tue 10-Jan-17 13:56:08

The thing is, though that most men under a certain age don't wear pyjamas to sleep in these days, so some of them might well be wearing their night clothes but we wouldn't know...

hereshoping Tue 10-Jan-17 17:34:20

Wouldn't dream of shopping in nightwear myself, I feel the cold too much anyway. But far, far worse are the people who go shopping stinking of BO. The smell pervades the whole shop. Ugh!!

rockgran Tue 10-Jan-17 17:57:48

I always go out expecting to meet people I know. I care about their opinion enough to look reasonably turned out. I also have enough self respect to care about the opinions of strangers. Standards!!!!! If these young women don't care about other people's opinions why are they so angry? You can't prevent anyone from forming an opinion.

Peaseblossom Tue 10-Jan-17 19:07:47

I think it's appalling. I can't believe people have got the cheek to do this. It's extremely lazy and slovenly and I can't believe some mums take their children to school whilst wearing pyjamas either. I'm assuming they're just driving wearing pyjamas and they don't actually walk to school in them, hopefully not even from the car to the school. Supermarkets should have a sign on the door saying that anyone wearing nightwear will not be allowed in.
I remember a friend of mine staying the night after New Year's Eve and she went home in pyjamas, but she had her car parked in my driveway so she didn't have far to go to the car, and then she would just have had to walk from her car in her driveway to her house, but I thought that was bad enough! hmm

Peaseblossom Tue 10-Jan-17 19:15:08

rosesarered I would, but I don't want to get punched in the face. People seem to be more violent nowadays, even women. shock

Ankers Tue 10-Jan-17 20:07:37

hereshoping, I recently was in a large supermarket coming up to midnight.
For some reason the air conditioning, or it could have been the heating was off.

The place resonated with the smell of BO! It was gross.

Penstemmon Tue 10-Jan-17 22:00:06

Ankers maybe it was just the smell coming from a broken system.

Why would a whole supermarket smell of body odour?? Very occasionally, whilst out and about, I have been aware of someone who needed a shower. I have a good sense of smell!
Do you live in a hot climate? confused

Ana Tue 10-Jan-17 22:08:23

I agree, Penstemmon. Anyway, doesn't 'resonate' apply to sound, not smell?

AsarahG Tue 10-Jan-17 22:40:37

I am not bothered what people wear as long as they (and their pj's) are clean, ie. had a shower after an active night life, and washed their hands after going to the loo etc. I do feel this fad of dressing in pj's is just a middle finger up to the 'old' people(us!) and done to rebel. I hope so, anyway - time will tell. (ps. I did not read all the posts, so someone may have already made this point).

Beammeupscottie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:34:30

My neighbour sometimes passes our window, in her jams and dressing gown, leading two horses to the field. One morning it all came apart, if you know what I mean. Flapping, open, nightwear and unable to adjust because of handling horses. Just not worth going out like that.

Granof11 Wed 11-Jan-17 17:50:00

I'd been feeling a bit superior about the business of shopping etc in my pj's; I'd never dream of doing such a thing would I? Then I recalled an experience I had when living in Northern Ireland years ago. I had been in hospital about 40 miles away from where I lived and due to a bomb explosion at the telephone exchange, couldn't phone home to request transport when I was discharged. I couldn't think how to get around the problem as I had no outdoor clothes. Finally a very kind nurse who was going off night duty offered to drive me home as it was on her way. Off we went, me in my 'night clothes'. It was winter and all went well until during a short flurry of snow, the windscreen wipers failed. The young nurse kept repeating how glad she was to have me for company. I on the other hand was terrified at the thought of having to make my way home in my state of 'undress'. It makes me smile now to think how times and attitudes have changed.

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 17:56:00

What a lovely story, Granof11 smile

Teapot Wed 11-Jan-17 20:33:31

I have a pastel pink shirt with pink buttons. Not sure whether I dare wear this when I'm out in case someone thinks I'm wearing my pyjamas! Makes you nervous!!

Penstemmon Thu 12-Jan-17 14:32:32

Teapot grin