Gransnet forums

Chat

Chocolate

(74 Posts)
whitewave Tue 10-Jan-17 18:09:44

DH has just given me a small Cadburys fruit and nut as a treat. Is it me or has the taste changed?

MiniMouse Wed 11-Jan-17 11:04:07

My OH treated himself to a drum of Roses for Christmas (he's not greedy, I can't eat it!). I notice that it's still three quarters full! Sainsbury's do a lovely bar of 'basic' dark chocolate for about 40/45p. Yum!

patriciageegee Wed 11-Jan-17 11:08:54

Like many of the above i won't buy cadburys as the company has reneged on most of its's takeover assurances the harshest of which is redundancies. They can bugger off i'm not giving them any more of mymoney So there!

DanniRae Wed 11-Jan-17 11:10:32

I LOVE dark chocolate MiniMouse so I will try the Sainsbury's one next time I shop, ta!
grin

goose1964 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:14:43

Rumour has it they replace the animal/vegetable fats with palm oil

grandMattie Wed 11-Jan-17 11:18:59

I was told by a Costa Rican chocolatier [how's that for showing off?] that Hershey bars were made so they didn't melt in US service-men's pockets when carried around. Says it all!
Love Aldi chocolate. Try not to buy any Kraft products...
As for palm oil - that's another bee in my bonnet. They remove native forests round the world [Costa Rica again] to plant the palm trees. loss of habitat for native flora and fauna, and palm oil doesn't even taste nice. It's just cheap...

Diddy1 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:37:10

I have always adored Cadburys chocolate and long for it sometimes, as I cant get it in this Country, I always buy a supply when at the Airport to last until next visit, havent noticed a change to be honest, apart from their Creme Eggs, which I can never get enough of, getting smaller. Maybe I am so desperate I dont notice, must check next time I am in the UK.

annifrance Wed 11-Jan-17 11:40:49

Love Hotel Chocolate products, but a rare treat asit is spo expensive, get what you pay for. very much like Côte d'Or milk, but usually like dark chocolate.

Chrishappy Wed 11-Jan-17 11:48:44

Aldi I think do the best chocolate especially their nut one, it's crammed with nuts mmmm , Lily O'Brian chocolates are very nice too for a treat now and then, but Cadburys have lost my custom too.

newnanny Wed 11-Jan-17 12:04:05

I hate the way the American company changed the shape. Everybody knows that square chunks taste the best

Aepgirl Wed 11-Jan-17 12:19:36

Whenever I visited my friend in US she asked me to bring Cadbury's chocolate with me. Now she asks that I don't because it isn't the same any more. I understand they use a lot of soya milk also. I for one don't buy anything that's the Cadbury/Kraft brand any more

Craftycat Wed 11-Jan-17 12:41:23

All the chocolate we bought this Christmas was a disappointment-I didn't know Cadburys had sold out. What really surprised us though was how small the tins/boxes had become. I know Toblerone cut they amount of chocolate in every bar but it seems to me they have all done it & the wrappers look tacky now too - all the same just different colours for different flavours.
I do love Hotel Chocolate though. It should be good for the amount they charge for it!

Cosafina Wed 11-Jan-17 12:49:15

Cadbury's used to be my favourite chocolate - then the Americans bought it and now they're turning it into the vile Hershey's. Even Americans have told me (in the past) they prefer Cadbury's to Hershey's - so why would Kraft now decide to ruin what was a perfectly acceptable product?

My favourite now is Hotel Chocolat (when I can afford it!) but also like the stuff from Lidl

Legs55 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:00:56

I only eat dark chocolate, Bourneville is no longer my favourite, I buy Lindt or Green & Blacks. Not tried Lidl but if I go in I will give their's a try & Sainsbury's just to see what they're like grin

Lilyflower Wed 11-Jan-17 13:11:37

Cadbury's chocolate is nasty now and I don't buy it. Neither do I buy the newly shrunk Kitkats.

There are so many other nice chocolate brands that have come onto the market or more available that there's plenty of choice: Green & Black, Thornton's, Lindt, for example.

I now make Florentines at home and coat one sid in Bourneville which is OK as a coating.

Sheilasue Wed 11-Jan-17 13:16:29

Yes Cadbury chocolate is not the same. I knew it would happen when the yanks took over there chocolate is awful. Hershey bars are awful too.

Lindylou23 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:16:56

I bought Rones for Christmas they are tasteless not a treat as they used to be.

SallyDapp Wed 11-Jan-17 13:34:43

You're right, Cadbury chocolate isn't what it was, it tastes awful. The profit over everything else mentality took over along with the treatment of the factory and its workers at Keynham in particular, this was abysmal.
I, for one, refuse to buy Cadbury chocolate anymore and, where I'm aware, I avoid all products from the mother company.
Too many companies, like Cadbury's, have gone down the same route where their philanthropic origins with small profits have been wiped out in exchange for massive profits and bugger the workforce and the quality!
Next time you donate to a food bank think about the company owner on holiday abroad hmm he doesn't have to worry about his workers on zero hour contracts because we are helping to feed them and keep his company profits high.

Lewlew Wed 11-Jan-17 13:45:16

Yes, Hershey bars are the worst and have wax in them. When I was a child in the US, they made a syrup you mixed with milk. Over the years they put less and less cocoa in it and more corn syrup. Yuck.

My late mother ate a 250g bar a day! shock When my husband introduced her to Cadbury in the early 90s, she went crazy for them and we had to keep buying them from an expensive Expat online grocer.

It was one of the few nice things she enjoyed before PD made eating them impossible.

Sorry to hear Cadbury's has now gone down the slippery slope. I prefer Green & Black's now and husband prefers them now, too.

Beammeupscottie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:12:54

The only chocolate I can stomach is Green and Black's because it doesn't taste too sweet. I have an aversion to over-sweetened foods.

Victoria08 Wed 11-Jan-17 14:32:37

Had a box of milk tray given to me not long ago and I couldn't finish them.
They were nothing like they used to be.

The squares of chocolate in a slab have shrunk, why can't they leave things alone.

Of course, cost and money comes into it somewhere, doesn't it?.

Joelise Wed 11-Jan-17 15:24:27

Lindt dark chocolate with caramel & a touch of sea salt is delicious, as are their Lindor chocolates !

Bijou Wed 11-Jan-17 15:39:30

I believe Green and Blacks is now owned by Cadbury so is also part of Kraft foods. All Lidl chocolate is good and cheaper!
Everything these days seems to be owned by multinationals.

Greyduster Wed 11-Jan-17 15:42:30

Although I am not a fan of dark chocolate, Aldi's Moser Roth range is very good.

CardiffJaguar Wed 11-Jan-17 15:50:21

It was never going to be the same after that takeover, and having now got yet another owner I think we can forget Cadbury just as we have had to forget other old favourites. We may see well known names when shopping but who now owns those brands? Brands, not the actual products are what are being bought and sold so who makes what and which recipe is a guessing game for many.

Linbrikat Wed 11-Jan-17 15:53:23

I adore Lidl's seashell truffles. I think they're much nicer than the name brand and about half the price.