Gransnet forums

Chat

favorite item of clothing in the cold weather

(66 Posts)
carerof123 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:32:15

I was getting dressed this morning and layering up as feeling the cold i put on my fleece type jerkin, i think this is my favorite as it keeps me snuggly warm indoors and is great under my winter coat too. Whats yours??

Witzend Wed 11-Jan-17 18:00:14

Padded gilet thingy from Joules. Have had it a couple of years and absolutely live in it in winter.

And my Celtic Sheepskin house boots. On 2nd pair now. Live in those indoors, too.

Cherrytree59 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:14:34

A black fur (not real) fleece from Blacks
I also wear padded non slip socks in doors and they fit in side my boots so have lovely warm feet when I go out.
If my feet & hands are warm then I'm warm
So gloves are a must.

blueberry1 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:59:39

A long tube of fleece with soft wiring around one end.You pull it over your head and can roll it over as a scarf or bend the wire to keep it over your ears.You can also pull one end up as a hood and the wire gives it shape.Only had it a couple of months but wouldn't be without it now.

kittylester Wed 11-Jan-17 19:22:05

pxadventures.co.uk/product/buff-merino-wool-grey/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzNfDBRD2xKrO4pSnnOkBEiQAbzzeQd05lLP6QW6WjUX-Dqew-xdkER2gfXm_dQAi9CCEvV4aAqEi8P8HAQ

Above a link to Buff.

My favourite item is my new Lands End down coat.

hildajenniJ Wed 11-Jan-17 20:49:30

A sort of cape/shawl thing that I bought in Tescos. I throw it on over what ever I'm wearing. It's lovely and cosy.

LadyGracie Wed 11-Jan-17 20:56:40

I wear a fleecy scarf all day everyday in the cold weather, also long sleeved thermal vests and always gloves my DH says my hands are cold wink

whitewave Wed 11-Jan-17 20:58:26

Walking the dog - my down filled coat - it's black which doesn't suit me so I wind a red tartan scarf round my nec k and bung on a red. Woolly hat and gloves. Wear this a lot.

For best I have a long camel coat with fur collar which extends down to the hem on the button edge white fur hat with camel flecks and leather gloves. Had it all for donkeys years. Never wears out, because I hardly ever wear it as it never cold enough.

Izabella Wed 11-Jan-17 22:57:28

The original Buff was designed in 1991, when motorcycle enthusiast and textile expert Juan Rojas came up with a simple seamless microfiber garment that could be worn at least twelve different ways in both warm and cold conditions.

From trial runners to Olympians, divers to motorcyclists, the original Buff is worn all over the world by countless athletes. It’s an insulating face mask on the ski slopes, a sweat band on the trails, a neck protector in the heat or a scarf in the cold. When you’re riding or skiing it can go under your helmet, in dusty conditions it will protect your face, or, if you just need a headband- no contest.

Mine is currently most used as a balaclava underneath my cycling helmet to keep face, neck and ears warm. Marvellous piece of kit.

Mair Wed 11-Jan-17 23:27:09

carer123

LOL just like you a zipped fleece waistcoat!
Brilliant! They used to be cheap and easy to find in shops like Primark, Matalan and Peacocks (as was). Whats happened to them?

carerof123 Thu 12-Jan-17 08:58:40

MAIR i got mine from Edinborough Wool shop.

Niobe Thu 12-Jan-17 09:30:52

For everyday wear I love my Ugg type boots. I would love to have Uggs but my feet are too wide but thes have zips and fit perfectly. Also love my faux sheepskin hooded coat from QVC.
For dressy wear I have a heavy ,black , calf length wool coat from TK Maxx that I bought two winters ago . I tried it on and hummed and hawed over it and left it as it was £200 reduced from £400. However I did not find a thing I liked as much so went back a couple of days later and it had been reduced to half price. It has a detachable black fur collar but I prefer it without the collar.

annodomini Thu 12-Jan-17 10:07:51

A roomy faux shearling coat fully lined with faux fur - Jaeger but bought is perfect condition through Ebay. Also M&S thermal leggings worn under trousers.

LottieSweetpea Thu 12-Jan-17 10:09:14

In case of snow I've just dug out my Moonboots , they are from the early 1980s!!

Mair Thu 12-Jan-17 10:12:27

carerof123
MAIR i got mine from Edinborough Wool shop.

I'll bet it wasnt cheap there. Ive still got my decade old Matalan one! blush

MTDancer Thu 12-Jan-17 10:37:33

I have recently found sheepskin Emu boots worn as slippers indoors keep me warm and toasty. I only use them indoors and find them better than a hat for keeping me warm. Previously my feet were always freezing. I also wear a thin scarf indoors and a thicker one outdoors

Bamm Thu 12-Jan-17 10:50:56

A real shearing 50's style coat I found in a charity shop years ago in perfect condition for 25 pounds. Also black suede ankle boots with warm socks .

goldengirl Thu 12-Jan-17 11:09:30

Leggings from Lands End and a thick tunic sweater from Joe Browns. Very cosy for cold days when I'm not meeting anyone. I always wear light makeup and some form of jewellery as well - though that doesn't keep me warm of course grin but makes me feel good. This is what I wore this morning for a telephone 'meeting'. Yesterday I had another telephone 'meeting' rather early for me so was still wearing my fleecy dressing gown - good job noone could see me!!!

Barmyoldbat Thu 12-Jan-17 11:21:19

My long body fine wool vest. Not sexy but oh its so warm!

goose1964 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:24:05

Heat holders socks, I always have cold feet

JackyB Thu 12-Jan-17 11:39:57

Track suit bottoms. I pull them over my trousers when cycling to work. Then I can take them off when I get there. Much easier than the long johns I used to wear - that meant shutting myself in the loo for 10 minutes every morning and evening whilst I took off shoes and trousers to get to them.

Otherwise - two of everything.

inishowen Thu 12-Jan-17 11:41:21

My hand knitted scarves. I buy them in charity shops as I can't be bothered knitting them myself. I wonder who they were knitted for, and why they were donated to a charity shop.

Gaggi3 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:57:42

My lovely bright pink wellington boot socks, from Joules, that I had for Christmas. My feet used to freeze in wellies, despite 2 pairs of socks, but no more.

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:11:18

lottiesweetpea love the name
I wish I still had my moonboots
They were pale blue.

Think today I will be wearing my motorbike thermals and buff
Going out in the car, so will be too hot in the car
but outside its freezing with a biting wind.
Brrr

Sheilasue Thu 12-Jan-17 12:41:45

I wear a fleece jerkin (think that's what it's called) with a zip which I put on indoors if I feel cold when sitting around. Can't have the heating on all day gets too warm and makes me feel really hot, so have a small electric radiator on in the day.

starbird Thu 12-Jan-17 12:58:05

Fleece! I have some fleece trousers, various tops, gloves and a hat, which I can't wear as my scalp itches - I can only get away with a hood. I also find merino wool and cashmere tops cosy but they 'pill' very easily. I prefer a thinner silk/cashmere vest underneath whatever I wear and sometimes add a faux sheepskin gilet bought from Bon Marche several years ago. In the evenings I add a thick wrap around cardy and a fleece throw on my lap as the house is draughty. Last year I bought a long down padded coat in a sale for £10 (in a sale plus using a money off voucher) it is wonderful if I walk to local shops or go into town on the bus, but not practical in a car.