Gransnet forums

Chat

favorite item of clothing in the cold weather

(66 Posts)
carerof123 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:32:15

I was getting dressed this morning and layering up as feeling the cold i put on my fleece type jerkin, i think this is my favorite as it keeps me snuggly warm indoors and is great under my winter coat too. Whats yours??

carerof123 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:10:59

INISHOWEN you sound like me when i purchase anything i wonder about the previous owner. If it is handmade, i think of the possible hours of work put into what ever it is and if it was made with love for someone and discarded after they passed away and who ever got rid didn't know the story behind the item.

POGS Thu 12-Jan-17 13:24:06

UGG Boots.

Well the cheaper versions.

If my toots are warm then I'm happy.

VIOLETTE Thu 12-Jan-17 13:43:45

My gorgeous off white feather and down long anorak and cream leather furry lined snow boots (both bought in Iceland (the country, not the shop !) along with a pair of warm line off white trousers ....thin Eskimo Nell ....don't care they are SO toasty ....only trouble is being that colour the coat needs dry cleaning a lot .......if I ever go again I will buy a black one ...oh and I also have an off white (again !) grey and beige Icelandic wool coat with matching hat ,,,,but that's no good if its wet as it gets quite soggy and horrible ! Other than that, I don't think you can beat a really warm and light anorak ..but it has to be knee length !

Legs55 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:51:06

My feet are always warm so socks & fleecy boots are out for me but a fleece jerkin or fleece with sleeves depending what I've got on underneath keep me warm. Just had my Park Home walls & underfloor heated so "toasty" indoors. I have 2 winter coats which I've had for 2/3 years but never worn as it's not been cold enough. Scarf & gloves are essential if I'm out in cold weather, I can't bear the backs of my hands being cold

SusieB50 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:30:03

Double layers - leggings under trousers , t shirt or vest tucked into trousers and them jumper or tunic on top. Can't wear wool so the layers help. Then if going out on foot walking boots or Uggs and a long down filled anorak type coat with a beanie and scarf. I may look a sight but I'm warm !

hulahoop Thu 12-Jan-17 16:15:29

A scarf is a must unfortunately I don't suit hats ! I like gloves especially leather ones trouble is when you go out dressed for weather it's too hot in shops so scarf and gloves off and on . In the evening I like my pjs and my fleecy dressing gown nice and cosy

grannypiper Thu 12-Jan-17 16:41:04

GREYDUSTER I have one of those neck warmers too, i bought it at a farming fair about 15 years ago and can honestly say it is one of the best items of cold weather clothing i have ever bought.

HurdyGurdy Thu 12-Jan-17 18:35:48

My sheepskin earmuffs. I can't bear having a hat on, but I do suffer from cold ears. I love my earmuffs smile

Yorkshiregel Fri 13-Jan-17 10:41:43

If thermals are suitable for a Princess (Diana) they are good enough for me. I would not go out the door in winter without them. Topped up with a fleece and double socks I am cosy and warm.

MargaretX Fri 13-Jan-17 14:30:49

I went to a museum to see an exibition about the Inuits (eskimos)and was disappointed to see they were all wearing down coats and trousers.

For real warmth you can't beat warm underwear including long underpants and a warm hat. We need these garments in Germany but not as often as when I first came here.

Mair Fri 13-Jan-17 16:58:46

"For real warmth you can't beat warm underwear including long underpants and a warm hat."

LOL you can, the Inuits original clothing, animal fur, better than anything Western material scientists have com up with apparently

Elegran Fri 13-Jan-17 17:45:01

Long animal fur underpants worn with the fur inside would be warm and cosy, if that tickles your fancy. grin

annodomini Fri 13-Jan-17 17:56:13

Tickles your WHAT?

Greyduster Fri 13-Jan-17 18:04:09

It was absolutely nitherin' here today - animal fur underpants would have been very welcome!

Mair Fri 13-Jan-17 20:28:42

Elegran that made me chuckle!smile

It was absolutely nitherin' here today - animal fur underpants would have been very welcome!

Animal fur waistcoat would be very nice! Or maybe sheepskin.