Gransnet forums

Chat

Why am I so stupid?

(14 Posts)
NonnaW Sun 15-Jan-17 10:29:50

DH & I feeling pleased with ourselves for having sold my old iPhone on eBay. Message from buyer saying he cannot get his SIM card to connect, after immediate reaction of "that's not my fault", sudden realisation that, actually, it is. Having told DH it was locked to one network, I had that sinking feeling, no, actually I changed nreworks when I got that phone. Now we are out of pocket for the postage both ways as we had to offer to pay his return postage. DH not said anything to me but I bet inside he is raging! blush.

Ever felt an idiot?

Jayanna9040 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:34:56

Wow, didn't even understand most of that, so I'm a bigger idiot than you?

ginny Sun 15-Jan-17 10:37:20

Ditto above post !

lefthanded Sun 15-Jan-17 10:40:13

No I don't think you are stupid. I think "stupid" is an unhelpful epithet in any circumstances and certainly not the correct one here. You are possibly forgetful - but that comes with the territory. Don't confuse forgetfulness with stupidity.

M0nica Sun 15-Jan-17 10:46:21

It is the sort of mistake we all make at some time or another. In fact if anyone told me they never made mistakes like that, I wouldn't believe them.

br0adwater Sun 15-Jan-17 11:04:44

Can't you suggest he takes it somewhere locally to get it unlocked and you'll pay plus fares?

DanniRae Sun 15-Jan-17 11:20:22

Nope, I don't understand what's going on either!confused

NonnaW Sun 15-Jan-17 11:44:56

I've contacted the network and they will send a code to unlock it. However, it will take about 20 days (!) to do, so he may not want to wait that long. I think I'll put a note in the box for the current phone stating which network it is on, John st in case my memory lets me down again!

NonnaW Sun 15-Jan-17 11:46:31

? Just in case, (B* predictive text!)

LadyGracie Sun 15-Jan-17 11:55:12

No you're not stupid, I did exactly the same thing a few months ago. This time when my new phone arrived I immediately asked for an unlock code, this came as you say about 20 days later - I did not realise that to unlock the phone you have to insert a SIM card from another network! I had to buy a 99p SIM card from Asda (unless you have family member on a different network, we're all on the same) inserted the SIM card put in the code and hey presto, but not so exciting, phone now unlocked so I can sell it in the future with no problem!

ninathenana Sun 15-Jan-17 16:33:28

Whilst I understood the op, I didn't know that you could apply for an unlocking code blush

campodol Sun 15-Jan-17 17:12:32

Stupid NonnaW never i think you are remarkable to even use ebay i wouldnt have a clue well done gal smile

Eloethan Sun 15-Jan-17 17:31:18

You shouldn't beat yourself up about it - I think lots of people make mistakes like that. It's difficult keeping track of these things.

Antonia Sun 15-Jan-17 19:49:31

No, you are not stupid. I can't even get to grips with all the remotes we have to use with our very complicated TV set up which includes a digibox, another undefined black box beneath it and a satellite dish that wouldn't look out of place at Jodrell Bank. ( In my day the TV had 2 knobs that you actually walked up to and turned. I have never really caught up).