Gransnet forums

Chat

big toe?

(10 Posts)
sue1169 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:13:10

Recently diagnosed with Hellux Rigidus in big toe yeowch!!!? As some of you may know am currently in Dubai helping with newborn grandson but have found walking whilst wearing sandals gives me so much pain!!! Anyone else got this?any advice welcome...

Izabella Sun 15-Jan-17 18:33:41

Yup. And it's no joke. No sandals (yes I know it's hot out there) and get yourself referred as soon as you get home. The longer you leave this the harder it is to treat. My joint has now been fused so I CAN wear sandals but they have to be of the Teva type where the instep is raised and my toe remains supported (as opposed to further damage in flip flops). Hope I make sense here. A bit tired this evening. Good luck

Antonia Sun 15-Jan-17 18:49:30

I had never heard of this but googled it and came up with this link about suitable shoes.
comfortableshoeguide.com/best-shoes-for-hallux-rigidus-limitus/
Apart from your big toe, I hope you are enjoying your stay.

Izabella Sun 15-Jan-17 18:52:32

Helpful link Antonia

grannypiper Mon 16-Jan-17 08:19:23

Izabella ouch, poor you, hope you find some relief. Iam am sure the lots of cuddles with your new DGS will ease the pain a bitflowers

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:48:41

Hi yes, just like Izabella I had an operation to have my big toe fused, was in agony before. They said I should have gone earlier, as there is a smaller op they can do if you go early enough.

Artyfartygaga Mon 16-Jan-17 20:05:00

I've had three operations on both my big toes to correct this and it's just as painful as before. I don't want the fusion. I've found the only shoes (& sandals) that are comfortable are Fit-flops. Expensive;but if you catch the sales,not so bad. I'm off for a holiday in the canaries next month and I'm taking my glittery fit-flop sandals this time. I have boots too, for Blighty. Very comfy. Even for queues! Good luck. And congratulations Grannie!

sue1169 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:25:42

Thanks everyone for well received advice!!! Yes gorgeous new addition is a wonderful distraction....at the mo finding barefooted feels comfy?

spottybook Mon 10-Aug-20 09:14:49

I am resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone else suffers with this and also, if the other posters are still on gransnet, to ask how you have fared? I have had a stiff big toe for years but this has recently become worse so much so that walking is becoming difficult and even trying to put my foot into my “sensible” Hotter Mary Janes is painful. I have read various articles about hallucinations limitus/rigidus on google, mostly about fusion, and am plucking up courage to go to my GP, last time she told me to take Ibuprofen.

spottybook Mon 10-Aug-20 09:18:21

Oh dear, predictive text. Should read hallux not hallucinations!!! (smile)