Gransnet forums

Chat

Moving abroad

(36 Posts)
Sar53 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:21:02

My partner may be offered a job working abroad for between 3 and 5 years. I am retired, he has another 5 years to work, and the money he would make will set us up for our retirement. He has recently been through chemo and is now in remission, he is very unsettled in his job and thinks this move will give him the impetus he needs to carry on till his retirement.
Between us we have four DD and 7 DGC with 2 more on the way.
My question is, has anyone else moved abroad in later life and how did they feel about it ?
I am very up and down about it. I will come back to the UK at least 4 times a year but I am very concerned about being isolated.

newnanny Wed 18-Jan-17 15:09:29

There are several factors to consider. One is are there any ex pats who will be living nearby to help you to make friends quickly? Two is do you speak the language as it will be easier to fit in if you do? Three if you are living in an urban district it is easier to find things to do than if in a rural district. Four would your family come to visit you. Only you can decide how much you would miss friends and family but you can always facetime or skype. It sounds like a plus is being able to put a nest egg aside for retirement.

petra Wed 18-Jan-17 19:05:33

We have done it twice, but it was never 'home'. OH knew the days were numbered when the grandchildren came along. Even with Skype and coming home twice a year, it wasn't enough.

Antonia Wed 18-Jan-17 19:20:34

My DH took early retirement and we came to France 16 years ago. With the arrival of our DGC and some health issues, we are now moving back to the UK this year, to live in the same town as one of our DDs. It has certainly been an experience which I wouldn't have missed for anything but now it is time to go back.

Morgana Wed 18-Jan-17 20:19:23

It all sounds so exciting. Very jealous
Go and enjoy!

Isabella1 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:50:32

We moved abroad permanently 10 years ago when I was 50. DP had just taken early retirement. Our situation is not exactly the same as yours as we have lived abroad for several other periods when we were younger so we knew what to expect.

However one thing to be aware of when you read the posts of younger people – what we realised this time was that it had been much easier to integrate when you moved with children of school age, because there was an established community you had to join. This time it would have been perfectly possible for DP to sit in the apartment and do nothing. I would wholeheartedly recommend the experience, but you have to be prepared to throw yourselves in at the deep end, to take language classes and make a positive effort to foster new relationships. It will be difficult, tiring and sometimes downright embarrassing. But it will be hugely rewarding and it has the strong potential to be one of the best things you've ever done.

Yorkshiregel Thu 19-Jan-17 16:47:06

OH was in the RAF so we went to Belgium and Norway, each for 3 yrs. He went to other places where I stayed at home with the boys.

Norway was a SUPER posting. I learned to ski there. Because he worked for NATO we were once invited to an Embassy dinner, proper posh. Lovely people and very friendly too. Lifestyle was fantastic, pay not so good. I worked for a company called SITA which was French. They did not know what to charge me in tax so I was given a nominal charge and got some back when I left to come home.

Belgium was ok. We saw more of my DS whilst there than we do in UK because they were stationed in Germany. My youngest was born there, we nearly lost him through salmonella poisoning and if it had not been for the BRILLIANT staff at the Brussels hospital we would have lost him for sure. People were not well off but very welcoming and friendly. Nice city and a good place to launch from to see the rest of Europe. I worked for SHAPE there and learned to dance shuffling squares on the American base. Lovely to see how the other nationals live. There were Italians, Germans, Belgians, all sorts and we all got on very well.

Go and enjoy yourselves. See a bit of the world. You will not be isolated if the locals have anything to do with it. If you are coming back on visits you will have the best of both worlds. I would jump at the chance if it was me.

Yorkshiregel Thu 19-Jan-17 17:01:08

Not sure exactly where you are going to, but Cyprus is a nice place too. We have been to both sides last time was this year on the Turkish side. The people were so friendly and helpful. The food was so cheap we could eat out every night. Very good supermarkets and lovely restaurants, plus historical places to see. OH was stationed there twice 2yrs and 1 yr and he loved it. It can get very hot in the summer so nice to have a pool to chill out in. Plenty of Ex-Pats there too to get to know which we did.

For anyone going to live in Norway just thought I would add that it is very expensive as regards every day living. Tax is also high if you work. They all speak English very well, but it is respectful if you learn a few sentences to get by with.

Witzend Thu 19-Jan-17 19:45:08

We spent 13 years in the Gulf. You will almost certainly be able to have an enjoyable time, especially if you enjoy lovely warm sea! - but the summers can be truly horrible. I used to clear off back to the UK with the children for a minimum of 2 months. It's very hard to imagine that sort of summer heat if you haven't experienced it. We couldn't even go to the beach till very late afternoon, because the sand was too hot to walk on, and I swear you could sit in the sea with a cold beer, in the shade of a boat, and still sweat. And it's the only place I've ever seen a big shade built over half a swimming pool, to stop the water getting too hot in summer.
Yes, everywhere has air con, but even the most dedicated indoorsy types have to go out sometimes.
Winter weather was lovely - so many grandparents would come for Christmas. We had both lots twice.

cassandra264 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:12:32

My grandparents went abroad for several years because my grandfather accepted a work contract in his 60's. We grandchildren - then of primary school age - were able to go out and visit them. To experience a different culture and surroundings from a safe but different home environment was wonderful and it opened our eyes to so many new things.

Go for it!

JackieBee1 Mon 23-Jan-17 08:37:18

If you don't go you will always wonder "What if..."
Good luck!