Gransnet forums

Chat

A nice young man rang this morning

(111 Posts)
kittylester Thu 19-Jan-17 13:56:32

to let me know that my computer had been hacked. I don't usually answer the phone without checking who it is but, at 8.10 am , I assumed it was one of the children, Mum's care home etc.

Anyway, I decided to have some fun so I played the little old lady card and thanked him for letting me know. He repeated himself and asked me to switch on the computer. I asked him to repeat himself and then I asked him why. At that, he shouted 'JUST TURN YOUR F*****G computer on' When I said, in shocked little old lady tones 'I beg your pardon?', he shouted 'OH, GO F**K YOURSELF' and hung up!

It's a good job that I'm not really a little old lady! blush

JackyB Sun 22-Jan-17 11:13:41

I've just managed to find time to click on Crystalgrandma's link - it really is funny! He doesn't leave anything out!

JackyB Sun 22-Jan-17 11:17:09

We don't get many of these calls at all in Germany. There is a ruling that all phone numbers have to be shown on calling, but, of course, many of them are just fictitious numbers using technological trickery.

Once we were repeatedly called by various numbers several times over a few days, the numbers were all the same but the area codes were different. We don't answer, then we google it, and if it is a cold call we put "don't answer" as the name in our phone, so we don't have to check again.

FarNorth Sun 22-Jan-17 11:23:15

That's a great idea JackyB.

Nona4ever Mon 23-Jan-17 11:15:15

I remember hearing Stephen Fry say that when he got one of these calls he would say 'yes fine - but first let me tell you about my Lord and Master.' It worked apparently.

sunseeker Mon 23-Jan-17 11:27:37

The ones that are driving me mad at the moment (getting 3 or 4 within an hour) are the ones which come through with a different number each time but with the same recorded message (about people on benefits being able to get a free boiler - yeah right!). When I did listen to the end of the message it said to press 1 to speak to an advisor, but if I did press 1 would it mean I would be put through to a premium phone line!!

FarNorth Mon 23-Jan-17 18:18:23

Seems likely, sunseeker. Never press anything they tell you to.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Jan-17 18:49:25

Oh, your Jehovah's Witness story has just reminded me, Elrel! We were minding DGS2 at his house and the doorbell rang. DH answered, and as he did so, banged his head on DD2's very inconveniently placed cuckoo clock. Two solemn JWs looked very concerned as he greeted them with "I'm sorry, I don't live here" while clutching his head, then shut the door. I was stifling my giggles in the background. I'm surprised they didn't ring the authorities.

sunseeker Mon 23-Jan-17 19:00:23

Woohoo - received an email today telling me the Inland Revenue are giving me a refund all I have to do is click on the link to fill in the claim form!!! grin

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 19:29:17

Lucky lucky you sunseeker

KirbyGirl Wed 25-Jan-17 13:35:37

This thread has really cheered me up on a depressing day! I once shouted 'f.. off' in full to a cold caller during sunday lunch, only to look up at appalled daughter and son in law and surprised grandchildren. I'm sure they've heard that word before I said, But not I was told, from their grandmother!!