Gransnet forums

Chat

Today's the day

(93 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 20-Jan-17 08:28:50

The world holds its breath as America prepares for an almighty Trump!

Sorry folks - childish, I know, but that has been going through my head for weeks now and the temptation to share it finally got the better of me. blush

On that note, I will now disappear for the weekend.

Christinefrance Fri 20-Jan-17 08:38:40

A lot of hot air MamaCaz, what will be the next major world change I wonder. Too much to hope for peace in war torn countries I suppose.

Marmark1 Fri 20-Jan-17 08:43:17

Maybe he will make America a better place for the ordinary person.Obama as nice as he appeared didn't do anything.

grannypiper Fri 20-Jan-17 08:43:54

MamaCaz grin

Marmark1 Fri 20-Jan-17 08:45:12

Yes,Christinefrance,I'm afraid that would be too much to ask,there's never been peace there has there.

PRINTMISS Fri 20-Jan-17 08:55:48

It is such a shame that we feel there will never be peace. I sometimes wonder if we just interfere too much with other countries. Have we really achieved anything - and I am sad to say this because of the loss of lives - by waging war?

M0nica Fri 20-Jan-17 09:43:58

Another light-hearted thread immediately run to serious.

I have had my fingers burned on one of these already this week.

The biggest worry is the bad odour he leaves behind him (sorry, I couldn't resist it)

radicalnan Fri 20-Jan-17 09:52:46

Am I alone in thinking he is a reincarnation of Hughie Green?

seemercloud Fri 20-Jan-17 10:06:59

Not alone now radicalnan! That made me giggle.

Disgruntled Fri 20-Jan-17 10:07:19

I've been wondering what music ought to be played (something about weeping, I think.)
I know I've got to do lots of uplifting things today. flowers to everybody.

Jackthelad Fri 20-Jan-17 10:13:13

Ladies. KEEP CALM. We have heard all this before with every incoming President of the USA, possibly since George Washington. Don't you remember Ronald Regan, George W Bush, they were going to be disaster while Clinton and Obama were going to do great things where as in practice nothing much happened. In politics you go into it thinking you are going to make great changes. In fact it is like fighting with fog. You hit out with your fist and it is absorbed into the mist and you lose sight of it. The wheels of government work slowly and grind very small. So forget Trump and the media and Ladies plan a fun day and be a little care free.

annemac101 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:18:44

Radicalnan! I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm just so worried he'll start world war three.

M0nica Fri 20-Jan-17 10:25:09

Oh come on, George W Bush WAS a disaster. Remember the Iraq War?

Or where you just joking?

Jaycee5 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:36:27

Clinton's repeal of the Glass Steagall Act has been as disastrous as anything the Republicans have done short of war and Obama's foreign policy has been brutal.
American's seem to have a choice of right wing or far right.
I think Trump is right on Syria (what on earth were we and the US doing joining the Saudi side) and there is no point in refusing to speak to Russia.
Life is going to get even harder for Palestinians though.
The most worrying thing about Trump is the appointments he has made. He seems to be playing a game to see what he can get away with in terms of appointing the least appropriate person for each appointment.

Ankers Fri 20-Jan-17 10:41:48

Totally agree with JacktheLad.

It seems to me that nothing much happens in America.
They have managed to tie themselves up in knots.

Anything that does happen is minor, and can be undone once the other side arrives.

A bit swings and roundabouts.

If the same amount of things happens, that happened under Obama...

But we will have to wait and see.

trisher Fri 20-Jan-17 10:43:57

And LADIES keep calm- how bloody patronising and sexist! Are men then quite happy to see a sexist, racist, patronising rich bastard as the leader of the biggest democracy in the world?
And neither Regan nor Bush demonised and threatened elements of the population based on their religion or country of origin.
And tell the recipients of Obama-care that he did nothing (as they desperately wonder if everything is about to end and their health care costs to become unaffordable)
But don't worry your heads about wars and silly things like healthcare, sisters, a man has spoken! and today's Trump will be lost in a fog (or disappear in an atomic cloud)

sarahellenwhitney Fri 20-Jan-17 10:47:32

Marmark1
I agree.
What has thirty years under the Democrats achieved for the USA, and, which cannot be denied has had repercussions on the rest of the world.
911? Gulf war?.Afghanistan?, how many lives have been lost in those three atrocities, and that's for starters.
Now we have Syria which is escalating into countries further afield where other nationalities are being gunned down when merely going about their every day lives or being on holiday.
Great jobs done by Bush senior Bush junior assisted by their British lapdogs.
Then Obama. A regime that saw poverty ,unemployment and gun crime on the rise.

Time for a change.Trump needs to be given a chance before condemning the man before he has even started.

grandMattie Fri 20-Jan-17 10:50:45

Oh dear! as divisive [perhaps less] than Brexit!
Lighten up - the wheels of government grind exceeding slow; Reagan wasn't that much more of a disaster than his predecessors nor his successors! There no longer is a Donald Rumfeldt to extract vengeance on the Iraqis. As long as no-one interferes too much in too many things, things should go on the same as ever.
On a lighter note - an old friend couldn't remember his name and called him "the Fart"! grin

pollyperkins Fri 20-Jan-17 11:01:17

I agree with Annemac101. If he starts WW3 its the end of us all, now so many countries have nuclear weapons. Ive been worrying about this since before he was elected. I hope he can be removed before he does any real damage. Yes there have been other awful presidents but he is in a class of his own.

Judthepud2 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:03:23

OP grin I have had this going round in my head for weeks too!

Obama has been criticised for doing nothing but his hands have been tied and he has had to fight tooth and nail for every change. No wonder the poor man looks so exhausted. I thought the Obamas were lovely, dignified, caring, genuine people and perhaps too intelligent and nice.

Well, US wanted the Trump. And that's what they've got. If he can get off Twitter and stop acting like a game show host, perhaps he is not totally full of hot air. I just think he is politically naive. I shall enjoy watching his education in the brutal ways of the world.

PRINTMISS Fri 20-Jan-17 11:04:58

Sorry! I rather altered the tone of the light-hearted thread. I think Donald Trump will cause quite a lot of amusement, he already has, just let's wait and see. His hair seems to have settled down, don't you think?

Ankers Fri 20-Jan-17 11:18:07

Keeping it lighthearted, I keep wondering if it will rain! On his parade!

paddyann Fri 20-Jan-17 11:18:43

SAD DAY FOR aMERICA AND THE WORLD,IF I BELIEVED IN GOD I'D SAY GOD HELP US ALL

tigger Fri 20-Jan-17 11:21:54

Obama couldn't do anything, he was thwarted at every stage by the Republicans. Piers Morgan did a good job of defending Trump on Question Time last night putting forward all the positives e.g. business "acumen" but failed to address the racist and sexist attitides that got him to the White House - which doesn't say much for american values and principles. So perhaps a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Christinefrance Fri 20-Jan-17 11:27:37

That's right radicalnan he does remind me of Hughie Greene, can hear the younger generation saying ' who ' ?
Ronald Reagan was a better president than expected maybe Trump will be too. Not sure how much he will listen to his advisors though.