Gransnet forums

Chat

American Bro culture

(25 Posts)
thatbags Fri 20-Jan-17 09:12:04

In my effort to understand more of what's going on in American life and politics since last year's presidential election, I've started listening to various American podcasts (I listen to British ones too; it's while listening to podcasts that I get a few rows of complicated knitting done of a sweater I started... um... several years ago. Back and front now done. Onto a sleeve). One I enjoy for its variability is Federalist Radio Hour. Today they are talking about bro culture, something I'd never heard of before. Some of it is really funny.

thatbags Fri 20-Jan-17 09:31:24

Something I've just learned is that you can get married overnight in the US. A couple who had been arrested for violent crime decided to get married so that they wouldn't have to testify against each other!!!!!

Do they not do the banns thing in the US?

gillybob Fri 20-Jan-17 09:34:30

I have often wondered about this thatbags as there are lots of film/TV where they announce they could get a blood test right away and get married .

thatbags Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:43

Ah! I guess a genetic profiling, which I guess is what the blood test is for, does the 'banns thing' very quickly. That makes sense. Thanks, gillybob.

thatbags Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:07

Bet it costs a bit!

ffinnochio Fri 20-Jan-17 09:40:42

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, it seems I have to subscribe to hear it, unless I've misunderstood!

Riverwalk Fri 20-Jan-17 09:41:49

Maybe it varies from state to state.

I remember before gay marriage was legal in the US, a couple who'd been together for 40 years pointed out the unfairness that Britney Spears I think it was, could get legally married on a drunken whim in Las Vegas only to regret it the next day and apply for an annulment, whereas a couple of 40 years standing couldn't marry.

gillybob Fri 20-Jan-17 09:43:32

You have started me thinking now thatbags it was quite a long time ago and I have tried to wipe the memory over the years but I am sure when I married the first time (a disaster that lasted weeks) we only gave a week or two's notice. I could be wrong but it feels like we walked into the register office and within days we were married. Blimey a lesson in itself !

thatbags Fri 20-Jan-17 09:46:03

I only subscribed via itunes or youtube, ffinn. I didn't pay anything.

whitewave Fri 20-Jan-17 10:05:27

We have a bro-culture in the UK an example would be The Bullingdon Club

NanaandGrampy Fri 20-Jan-17 10:39:10

My daughter got married in Florida nearly 6 years ago.

There was no waiting period, they took passports and birth certificates to the County Hall and were issued with a marriage licence immediately . Florida residents have a 3 day waiting period.

ffinnochio Fri 20-Jan-17 12:17:28

OK, thanks B

Jaycee5 Sat 21-Jan-17 09:45:45

I haven't watched it for a while but I used to like Majority Report. I presume it's still going.

ExaltedWombat Sat 21-Jan-17 12:58:26

America has been doing pre-wedding blood tests for a very long time, way before genetic profiling. Mainly to test for VD. Most states don't require them any more.

"Premarital blood test laws were written during an era when premarital sex was largely frowned upon, and the legislators writing those laws probably assumed that most sexual encounters happened within the confines of marriage. In contemporary culture, sexual encounters commonly take place both within and outside the bonds of marriage, making these tests largely irrelevant from a public health perspective.

As of April 2014, only the District of Columbia requires premarital blood tests for both partners; however, Montana requires females to get premarital blood tests, and in New York, African-American and Hispanic applicants have to get tested for sickle-cell anemia.

The reason Montana may still test its female residents is related to that fact that these tests often screened for rubella. Rubella can be deadly if passed from a mother to a fetus; however, even women in Montana can opt out of the testing with a waiver from a doctor."

www.reference.com/science/were-blood-tests-required-before-marriage-16fa496b264f2110

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 13:07:01

It varies from State to State I think, in the mid 20th century in some States girls were marrying at fourteen, some States allowed first cousins to marry etc.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 13:07:58

I will have to listen to that podcast, but I always assumed Bro culture came from the gangs?

stayanotherday Sat 21-Jan-17 13:25:14

Never heard of that. How interesting to learn about other cultures.

grandMattie Sat 21-Jan-17 15:38:52

One can get married pretty quickly [not instantly] in the UK. One gets a special license. My DPs got married with one - my pa claimed it was the best 2/6 he ever spent.
I suspect it wouldn't have changed much since 1945. grin

Barmyoldbat Sat 21-Jan-17 16:33:52

Yes I thought Bro culture was all to do with gangs

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 16:37:25

I Googled it.

'Bro is a male youth subculture of "conventional guys' guys" who spend time partying in ways similar to each other. Although the popular image of bro lifestyle is associated with sports apparel and fraternities, it lacks a consistent definition.'

Barmyoldbat Sat 21-Jan-17 19:07:28

Yes Ana that was the sort of area I was thinking of but thought of them as gangs. Like the sound of partying..bruv.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 19:58:53

what on earth are you on about OP..

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Jan-17 20:09:59

First cousins can still legally marry in the UK, rosesarered.

willsmadnan Sat 21-Jan-17 20:30:07

This thread seems to have taken on a life of it's own.... ie WTF has 'instant marriage' in the US got to do with it ? Thanks Ana for bringing it back on track. Do keep up Stillaliveandkicking sad.So.... those of us(me) who were bemused by the 'brov' thing now know, so we can 'get down wiv da boys' when the word is used.
Can't believe anyone didn't know about the instant marriages ... think the Elvis Chapel in Vegas, ladies and as for the awful blood test requirementangry Always smacked of The Third Reich to me.

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 21:09:19

I too thought that 'bro culture' was to do with gangs
Will look at the link later (DH is watching something at the moment)

I am impressed by the fact that you can follow a complicated knitting pattern and concentrate on the radio!

Go sistah, go!