Gransnet forums

Chat

It's getting lighter!!!

(24 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 20-Jan-17 16:53:52

My DD picks up her children at 4.30 and today I noticed how much lighter it was - and a lovely pink sky as the sun goes down. Every week it seems a bit lighter at that time.

And the bulbs are poking through in the garden - very exciting as we have never been here in the spring before and we are looking forward to seeing what comes up!

And....there are snowdrops out up the road!

Maybe there is hope!!! smile

whitewave Fri 20-Jan-17 16:55:13

Yes snowdrops!!!!

Ana Fri 20-Jan-17 17:02:06

It is definitely getting lighter in the afternoons, especially when there's a clear sky - it's still quite light outside here now.

And I've never known snowdrops to flower so early in my garden, it's usually Feb or March before they actually open.

tanith Fri 20-Jan-17 17:02:35

It certainly is Luckygirl I have Primrose in flower and yes the Snowdrops are about to bloom.. so uplifting.

Alima Fri 20-Jan-17 17:03:30

Yaaaay, all downhill to spring now!

gettingonabit Fri 20-Jan-17 17:05:51

Yes, it's lively. Still light here at 5, birds singing and daffs poking through! Bloody cold, though.

gettingonabit Fri 20-Jan-17 17:06:10

Lovely, even.

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Jan-17 17:08:03

The first sun I have seen in a week it was lovely, and I got out into the rather cold garden. The days are gettimg noticeably longer. My snowdrops should be out in a week or so.

There are an awful lot of them now. The clumps keep multiplying when you are not looking.

Neversaydie Fri 20-Jan-17 17:12:04

Have been clearing leaves from the garden all afternoon so I can see the bulbs coming through .So good to get out there

wot Fri 20-Jan-17 17:18:58

The sky was full of lovely pink tonight!!! I'm so glad the Spring is coming!

morethan2 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:01:09

I know it's fabulous. sunshine

BBbevan Fri 20-Jan-17 18:54:01

Went to get the washing in. It was 4.45 p.m. The sun was just beginning to slip behind the mountain and the washing was dry. How good is that?

Grannyknot Sat 21-Jan-17 07:48:42

Yep it's definitely brightening up.

I never really understood the phrase "Spring cleaning" before we came to live in the UK (having lived in a country with very little variation between the seasons) but now I totally get it. smile

PRINTMISS Sat 21-Jan-17 08:51:55

It is amazing, isn't the way everything continues to grow, even when it is not visible. All the bulbs which are now deciding to show themselves will make such a lovely display in several weeks time. In this part of the country we do not seem to have suffered so many 'short' daylight hours because December was such a lovely month, sign of things to come do you think?

Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 10:17:39

Indeed it is a little lighter not dark until 5 here yesterday which means soon I can golf a bit later in the day - if this cold ever goes. Going to walk through the park into town to see if I can sport the snowdrops yet.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Jan-17 10:23:16

Bizarre weather here today - pea-souper from the back windows and bright blue sky from the front.

Thingmajig Sat 21-Jan-17 10:39:46

We were over visiting the old mother yesterday and left a bit later than usual but still made it home before darkness came ... yeah!!!
She also has some snowdrops in the garden. smile

vampirequeen Sat 21-Jan-17 13:07:19

No snowdrops yet but bulbs peeping through

stayanotherday Sat 21-Jan-17 13:16:31

Yes, I was thinking that a few days ago. It's light when I go to work and it's stayed dry. Can't wait for spring!

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 13:35:24

But does anybody else share my problem with driving into the sun in the afternoon? Being a short arse somewhat vertically challenged I find the low afternoon sun really hard to cope with even with the driving seat cranked up as high as it will go.
My reactolite glasses don't darken in the car (something to do with a tinted windscreen) and while I CAN drive with one hand shading my eyes I am not happy doing so , plus, I do need to change gear every so often!
I will be happier when the sun is higher and the sun visors give me the necessary protection. In the meantime I find myself plotting circuitous routes to avoid driving on busy roads/due west mid afternoon! ?

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 13:38:08

The supermarkets are selling daffodils!

annodomini Sat 21-Jan-17 13:55:27

MawBroon, I took a roundabout route yesterday to avoid a massive tailback and found myself staring straight into the sun. I had to drive several miles with one hand shading my eyes and it was very uncomfortable. It was quite a narrow road and the oncoming traffic was coming at me right out of the sun. But,as you can see, I survived

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 14:47:24

Can't you wear sunglasses over your ordinary specs, MB?(sorry, I can't call you Maw it sounds rather...beastly!grin)

Same for anno, although I don't know if you're a specs-wearer but you could keep a pair of sunglasses in the car for emergencies.

oldgoat Sat 21-Jan-17 15:06:01

And the birds have started singing in the morning again. Hooray! I can't stand the perpetual dark and gloomy skies in winter
Roll on Spring.