Gransnet forums

Chat

Globalization

(90 Posts)
whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 10:32:54

"It has been said that arguing against globalization is like arguing against the laws of gravity"

Kofi Annan - 7th Gen. Sec. UN

There have been a number of references to this in our various threads, often used in a perjoritive sense. So I want to explore this phenomenon, to understand what it means and to try to answer the question whether it is an inevitability, whether individual states can control it, who are the winners and losers.

Welcome all input, and just like populism let's try to keep it civilised.

Eons ago when at uni I can remember looking at this "new" phenomenon. We were just in the post colonial era, and globalization at this stage of understanding was simply looked at as an economic phenomenon.

But I want to argue that the term globalisation can be used to describe a number of processes apart from the economy.

I would argue then that there is a globalization of

Culture

Media

Technology

Socio- culture

Political

Biological - my particular interest

Economical.

I think that this is particularly relevant today, with many calling for a more nationalist perspective. So am going to try to work out whether an individual nation state can in fact "control" globalization, or whether they are simply "luddites" and denying the inevitable. If it can't be controlled how then do we control the winners and losers and would this control be desirable?

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew - but if anyone else is up for it let's give it a go!!

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 21:27:27

I think you mean 'moot' saak. Otherwise your post makes no sense.

whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 21:31:46

It would make even less sense then ana because how can a non -word be moot?

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 21:33:19

Oh dear, I stand corrected yet again...hmm

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 21:40:45

It makes no sense because it is on the wrong thread. Someone on a different thread made a mute point - must be an American poster who pronounces mute as moot so thinks they are both the same word.

moot point definition

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 21:45:32

grin eat yourselves.

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 21:45:49

I do know the meaning of moot point, Elegran....(she said, faintly...)

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 21:58:54

YOU do, Ana but I've a feeling that whoever posted saying they were making one was a bit mixed up between mute and moot. Can't find it now.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:00:50

That definition is about mute as well as moot. Nice definition of a mute one “When somebody in a group makes a good suggestion, but somehow nobody hears it.”

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 22:03:01

Mute means silent and moot means a non point.

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 22:04:33

SAAK 21.23?

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 22:07:15

Oh no! is that a passive aggressive hint that I shouldn't be here? really? just because i don't fall in with your ideas of posting. I am actually a person and not a troll grin

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 22:10:11

I used the term a moot point earlier today on some thread or other.

I used it as meaning 'a debatable question'.

I hope it wasn't me using it out of context hmm

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 22:10:40

X'd posts? I was replying to Elegran 21.58

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:11:04

No, it was somewhere else, Maw and was something about a mute point, those two words were in it. Must have fallen off the end of a page and vanished.

You are right, SAAK, it is silent v doubtful. It must have been very silent because I have no idea what the point was.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:12:47

Maybe it was you then, Jalima

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 22:13:50

Neither do I Elgran, i just know that the definition is of moot or mute grin

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 22:15:38

I also need to apologise to Elgran if I offended. It was not my intention to be rude to you.

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 22:18:23

Was this it?
(On the anti-Trump demonstrations thread)

. stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 20:11:54
A point of what? Im sure he will, he has healthy daughters to help him. The fact that women were used to make such a mute point is beyond comprehension. It would be interesting to know where this actually came from. Women? women that are secure as such? I think not

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 22:18:44

I did spell it correctly grin and use it in the correct context (I think!)

Isn't passive-aggressive a contradiction in terms? and out of fashion now?

daphnedill Sat 21-Jan-17 22:18:49

All words are made up. The origin of language would make a wonderful thread title, but back to globalisation...

PS. I spell 'globalisation' with 's', but that's a moot point!

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:21:02

Well that has taken up nearly an hour getting mute and moot nicely defined, and I still haven't started my tax return, in spite of getting daily emails from HMRC asking whether I have done it. I'll leave you lot to sort out globalisation.

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 22:26:38

Tax return? Why is it that so many GNetters seem to have to do them? Surely they aren't all running businesses or have massive investments...? confused

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:27:41

While I was typing that, the source of the mute point has surfaced! Good sleuthing, Maw

Apology accepted and thank you, SAAK. I think we will have to observe Mr T closely in the next few years to see what he achieves and whose lives he improves, or whether he is all mouth and trousers.

Elegran Sat 21-Jan-17 22:29:22

Tax return - I made the mistake of filling one in for the first time in a while the year after I was widowed, as there were changes to my financial position that year. They have demanded one ever since.

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 22:34:21

Oh I see - I was the same when I was widowed, and had to fill in a few forms for the IR both that year and the next, but haven't had to submit a tax return. They work in mysterious ways...