Gransnet forums

Chat

Over emphasising

(52 Posts)
Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 11:23:00

I was just wondering as I announced to the world my intention to eventually have a shower this morning (11.21) why do we say
'jump into the shower'
'pile on the pounds'

phrases like that really

Charleygirl Sun 22-Jan-17 19:34:12

I often say that I am going into town on the tube, meaning Oxford Circus or Piccadilly- not exactly a town!

MawBroon Sun 22-Jan-17 17:50:35

You can't be "incandescent" can you?

I"literally" froze (probably not)

Have we had "I was beside myself"? (Hard)

Rinouchka Sun 22-Jan-17 16:14:44

Thank you, roses but I admit to speaking and writing it for several decades!

Love the expression "run amok/amock". So full of frenzy.
Any other uses of "amok"?

rosesarered Sun 22-Jan-17 16:12:15

only incey wincey spider [down the spout]

rosesarered Sun 22-Jan-17 16:11:18

Rinouchka grin Your English is excellent, it was an odd song!
cock a hoop is a really old expression, in fact so old that I have never heard anybody actually say it, although it's still written now and then.

Rinouchka Sun 22-Jan-17 16:08:50

Up the spout???
Is one ever down the spout?

rosesarered Sun 22-Jan-17 16:07:34

then there is 'up to town' or 'down the High St.'

Cornishgirl777 Sun 22-Jan-17 15:52:20

Many people I know say they are going "up country" when leaving Cornwall and say "going down" for the return journey. Sometimes it conjures up the idea to me of clinging onto the side of the globe!!

Rinouchka Sun 22-Jan-17 15:32:46

Could be that I gave her the wrong idea, roses as English is not my first language.

I also smile at "cock a hoop". And used to think it must be very rude indeed!

rosesarered Sun 22-Jan-17 15:28:03

Lulu, skip to ma lu my darling, I remember that song, a bit strange really.

Rinouchka Sun 22-Jan-17 15:15:54

Love the images conjured up here. Being small, fast-moving and in denial of increasing age, I admit to jumping, popping, running, but mostly to skipping in and out of places.

Which reminds me that one of my children, when very young, was convinced that the song Skip, Skip to the loo meant just that and would skip to the loo, singing, whenever she needed a wee!

Moocow Sun 22-Jan-17 14:14:39

Nothing to add except for the laugh your posts have given me this afternoon! No doubt I'll be smiling to myself whenever any of us pop or jump anywhere from now on grin

TriciaF Sun 22-Jan-17 13:57:12

From another thread 'disempowerment' - ie taking down a peg or two.

vampirequeen Sun 22-Jan-17 11:42:37

I'm guilty of misusing the word 'well' as in 'I'm well tired'

FarNorth Sun 22-Jan-17 11:33:56

grin
I often beetle along to somewhere (walking, not in the car).
It's amazing how often people are said to be "rushed" to hospital, especially now there seems to be no rush once they get there. confused

vampirequeen Sat 21-Jan-17 21:00:06

My exMIL once complained that her neighbour blocked her back passage by ramming a fridge in and getting it stuck.....ooooooh.

I thinkhope she meant that her neighbour had been trying to get a fridge to the back of his house so he could take it into the kitchen but it had been too large to go through the narrow passageway between the houses.

Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 17:58:41

The young of today use 'so' a lot to give emphasis - ' I am so going to.....' and 'your are not' for 'are you'? and the eternal 'Shut up'.

MawBroon Sat 21-Jan-17 15:58:19

gringrin

judypark Sat 21-Jan-17 15:35:26

Harrigran, as a nurse I always used the phrase " sharp scratch coming up" Never said "just a little prick". Reminded me too much of my ex-husband ?

downtoearth Sat 21-Jan-17 15:05:19

Reminds me when I was working ..called said he had popped out....nearly asked if he needed help popping it backgrin

Jane10 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:54:20

One can tootle along in a car I gather.

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:42:06

Teetime I like the trolloped ( better than lolloped) smile

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 14:40:25

A better description of WHO though, Harrigran? grin
that 'little scratch' saying is ridiculous and I always feel like saying ' a scratch? You have just stuck a sodding great needle in my arm!'

harrigran Sat 21-Jan-17 14:31:56

The nurse at GPs giving you an injection 'just a little scratch' no it isn't, it was better when they said 'just a little prick' better description.

Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 14:22:54

Oh and TV programmes about houses people are always 'heading upstairs or downstairs or into the garden 'aren't they just going?
- and as for nurses and I am one we were always 'popping' things in somewhere that no-one really wanted popped.