Gransnet forums

Chat

What a contrast!

(27 Posts)
phoenix Mon 30-Jan-17 23:09:17

Channel hopping tonight, saw some of the (imo) nauseating programme that also made me incredibly increasingly annoyed, namely "My Mum's Hotter Than Me" on Channel 5. It included various people having all sorts of treatments to stay "young" looking, including a gay guy who had his first biotic treatment at 18, and the mother of a 20 year old son so determined to stay "young" looking that on top of the various cosmetic treatments she had already had, she was now having injections into her hands to make them look younger! She even said that she had heard about (and was considering) botox injections in her "nunny"?

Turn over to Channel 4 plus 1, The Undateables, genuine people, with real problems, not "oh dear, my nose isn't absolutely perfect, stop the world, my eyebrows are not totally symmetrical!"

I know which ones I would rather have a coffee with!

Chewbacca Thu 02-Feb-17 00:35:00

grin nannie

nannieann Wed 01-Feb-17 23:56:28

I don't understand anyone choosing to put themselves through any sort of surgery that wasn't necessary. The risk and the recovery time is enough to put me off. People who do this must have some very deep seated insecurities. But then I haven't even had my ears pierced !

Chewbacca Wed 01-Feb-17 23:47:42

One of my neighbours is a very attractive woman in her 50s. Last year she had quite a lot of cosmetic surgery done and it seems to have spoiled, what was originally a lovely face. Her skin is so taught that she can barely move her mouth to speak and her facial expressions are almost rigid now. Seems a shame that, for whatever reason, she wasn't comfortable or confident enough to allow life to show on her face.

Jalima Wed 01-Feb-17 22:06:37

Don't forget that things like having ears pinned back is cosmetic surgery, as is breast reduction for those with uncomfortably large breasts, correcting a cleft palate before you condemn it out of hand.

Non-essential cosmetic for pure vanity is different of course.

starlily106 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:53:35

My granddaughters friend is only 17, and her mother has encouraged her to have her lips done. She has also promised her a nose job and botox. I have never met the mum, but she is a Katie Price lookalike. A couple of years ago her implants were leaking, she had them taken out, and replaced with larger ones. Looks like her daughter will end up looking exactly like her.

Nvella Wed 01-Feb-17 10:51:29

I have never yet seen anyone who has had cosmetic surgery look better than they did before and they usually look appalling. If anyone saw the Miami episode of the Real Marigold Hotel where they filmed in a very expensive retirement community - it was like the night of the living dead. Every single woman looked absolutely dreadful

Teddy123 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:01:18

I saw some of it last week and can only call it mesmerising cr*p. It's almost as bad as Jeremy Kyle.

So last night I watched First Dates Abroad. I love that programme. Especially if there's a happy ending
?????

Diddy1 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:39:44

Sorry pressed the button twice!

Diddy1 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:39:05

What is all this fixation with trying to stay young, competing with your own children, definately something wrong in our society today, I feel sorry for these people.

Diddy1 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:38:48

What is all this fixation with trying to stay young, competing with your own children, definately something wrong in our society today, I feel sorry for these people.

marionk Tue 31-Jan-17 13:41:56

Imagine the horror of having to compete with your mum! Every woman deserves her time in the spotlight, having to share it with your mother would be mortifying. Selfish egotistical superficial people

Alima Tue 31-Jan-17 12:21:18

Jalima, thanks for the mention of George III. Forgot it was on, something to watch this aft. now!

KatyK Tue 31-Jan-17 12:16:45

It's all relative I suppose. I had all my teeth taken out when I was 11. To say it was traumatic was an understatement. Going through teenage years and not feeling like other girls was horrible. Recently a friend (who is in her 60s like me) was telling me she was upset as she had to have one tooth taken out and was desperately trying to scrape the money together for an implant as she didn't want a gap. To try to make her feel better, I told her my tale of woe. She said 'well, I couldn't have gone through that, no way'. I felt like saying 'Really? What would you have done? Do tell. All advice gratefully received. I thought her situation was trivial, she was devastated.

Luckygirl Tue 31-Jan-17 12:05:36

One of my DDs and I really are the spit of each other - same features, long dark hair, similar glasses, and there is absolutely no way anyone could not be fully aware that we are related. But no-one, absolutely no-one, has ever taken us for sisters - it is perfectly clear who is the younger! And I am 100% happy with that!

This search for eternal youth (as far as looks go) is insanity and part of the reason why we have ageism in our society. That young people should look young and older people should look older seems just fine to me!

Now....when it comes to health, I would definitely favour finding a way to be younger!

harrigran Tue 31-Jan-17 11:46:35

I once accidentally recorded this programme, I could not believe that anyone would do this to their own body, they looked ludicrous. Sad thing is they think they are enhancing their looks.

Rosina Tue 31-Jan-17 11:45:31

When my daughter was at senior school one of her friends said his mum was having a face lift as she 'looked old.' Mum was thirty eight. I do despair; the obsession with appearance, pouting selfies, detoxing, people like Katie Price saying they would rather die than have wrinkles. Isn't this all a bit unhealthy and sad? Certainly it is a good idea to make the most of what you have - makeup if you happen to like to wear it, keeping clean and fresh, having a decent haircut and clothes that suit you, but so much seems to be obsessive now. We have a couple of people living locally who are quite badly disfigured; their lives must be so difficult with people staring and making comment. They would probably love to have a few wrinkles to look at in the mirror.

radicalnan Tue 31-Jan-17 11:25:04

Hot ???? What is the value of being hot?

Women who are protesting about Trump the misogynist are some of the first to be flaunting themselves...........

Wise, now there is something I aspire to being.....but its gone out of fashion.

Greyduster Tue 31-Jan-17 11:00:52

I didn't see this programme but I agree that it is sad. And there is no need for it. Last time I was at the hospital a pretty young woman in her early 20s came in with a lady who I put in her early fifties who was obviously her mum. Good skin, no sign of facial enhancements, a very good haircut and nice fashionable clothes and footwear took the years off her.

KatyK Tue 31-Jan-17 11:00:16

I've come to the conclusion that these people have never had any real problems (and of course I'm glad they haven't). The people on The Undateables have had to battle their way through life and what's important to them is just getting through and trying to live a normal life.

Solitaire Tue 31-Jan-17 10:56:42

I totally agree Dot. Enjoy and make the most of life and be thankful for good health.

DotMH1901 Tue 31-Jan-17 10:29:33

I think it is quite sad when Mums feel they have to compete with their daughter(s). There is a huge difference between keeping your personality (as in choice of clothes/wearing make up/nice hair do etc) as you get older and living life in the belief you only look 20 when you are in your 40's or older. Usually turns out in these cases that Mum has had lots of treatments/nips and tucks/botox etc. Wish people could see that there is nothing wrong in getting older - many people (my late husband included) never got the chance!

Cherrytree59 Mon 30-Jan-17 23:50:39

pheonix that sounds very much like the programme that was requesting for GNers to get involved in a little while back (The my mums hotter than me)hmm

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 23:21:24

DH wanted to watch George III.
I did fall asleep for a bit but managed to learn that he was very interesting and learned and wrote letters documenting everything before he eventually went 'mad'.

rafichagran Mon 30-Jan-17 23:12:32

Find those people bloody boring, I turned it over.

phoenix Mon 30-Jan-17 23:10:53

Grr bloody predictive text! Botox, not biotic!