Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you for the music..

(94 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 02-Feb-17 21:15:58

Do you listen to music much, ladies and gents?
What kind do you enjoy, and has it changed much from when you were younger?
Do you have song which take you back to specific times in your life?
Thank you; I love music, and interested in everyone's thoughts. smile

Lilyflower Fri 03-Feb-17 10:50:55

I discovered Linkin Park in my fifties. Chester Bennington's voice puts shivers up my spine. 'Breaking the Habit' has to be one of the best songs ever.

Bit strange, I know and my family were appalled and thought I'd gone bonkers but Linkin Park's rather beautiful and paranoid genre, endlessly creative, struck a chord with me and got me through a tough time before I had to leave teaching because of stress.

Anniebach Fri 03-Feb-17 10:54:32

Grew up in a Welsh mining valley, it was Male Voice Choirs, Handel , Kathleen Ferrier and Welsh folk songs plus my grandfathers daily renditions of Myfanwy and Dafydd yr Garreg Wen. School and chapel choirs.

Life without music would be so lonely. I dislike modern music, never listened to Jackson, Bowie etc. Love Jazz, Country and Western. Sinatra and Fitzgerald and co my favourites and Dylan , suppose I am still in the sixties . Have to listen to Willie Nelson most days. If I had to choose one CD only it would be Debussys Clare de lune, it comforts me, relaxes me, I could never tire of it, even play it when in bed if I can't sleep.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Feb-17 10:54:34

I shall have to listen to them, Lilyflower. I often find melancholy tunes appealing - it's rare that I find happy music that resonates with me. I'm more of a "Smiths" type.
(Miserable sod!)wink

MissAdventure Fri 03-Feb-17 10:58:00

I'm going to find and listen to the Debussy, Annie
I'm woefully ignorant about classical music. Thank you!

TriciaF Fri 03-Feb-17 11:07:26

I listen to music every day too, classical, popular and Jazz.
I can find a tune or a song to match most moods and situations.
I used to play the piano (not well), but my shoulder problem makes it difficult now.
I think my favourites are romantic classical eg Greig's Holberg suite,Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, last movement - jump to 29 minutes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_ZhhQeudY
Favourite jazz - all Louis Armstrong and some WyntonMarsalis

Neversaydie Fri 03-Feb-17 11:16:35

I was born and bred in Wales and and they say if you are Welsh you have 'music in you blood and poetry in your soul '
At school we always belonged to the choir and used have massed choir events. Very powerful and The Song of the Children of Israel (Speed your journey ...)from Nabucco remains one of my favourite pieces of music having sung it when I was 15 (and been priveleged to hear it at the Vienna opera house more recently )I want it at my funeral.
I still belong to a choir and the human voice remains for me the most powerful musical instrument.BrynTerfel singing 'Suo Can'(a Welsh lullaby)reduces me to tears as does our choir singing Amazing Grace and lots of if other stuff-and some choral music makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end .
DH plays music constantly .he has very wide tastes .He does find it a bit disconcerting if I am in his study with him and I join in..He likes it full blast through the house so I rarely play music myself except in the car when I go for 'pop'

MissAdventure Fri 03-Feb-17 11:21:57

I love music which inspires goosebumps!!

missdeke Fri 03-Feb-17 11:26:43

I love all types of music, Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves is probably my favourite classical piece. Eric Clapton can do no wrong, but The Byrds, Mr Tambourine Man takes me back to be a teenager on the back of my boyfriend's motorbike, long blonde hair flowing in the wind (pre compulsory crash helmets) and the sun shining. Aaahhhh.....

David1968 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:27:45

Try Radio 6 - it's brilliant! Such a mix of music and some great DJs. Recommended.

gillybob Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:34

I like the Smiths too MissAventure I think it's being so miserable that keeps me going smile

MissAdventure Fri 03-Feb-17 11:35:14

grin Glad there is someone else who appreciates Morrissey, gilly
'How soon is now' is one of my all time favourites - I just love the guitar riff!

Lewlew Fri 03-Feb-17 11:36:10

Anniebach Every other year we go to the Massed Choirs at Royal Albert Hall. It's fantastic!

We used to go up the Wye Valley to a place to hear one of the choirs do a concert in aid of the RBL, but Wyastone Ley does not seem to hold these any longer.

I am so glad to see that Boys Aloud and Men Aloud are making the MVCs popular again. grin

Lewlew Fri 03-Feb-17 11:39:11

Neversaydie Bryn is amazing! Wynne Evans has a great repertoire other than GoCompare LOL. And because he is genuinely funny, (although also a poet of the valleys) I love Max Boyce.

OGGY OGGY OGGY, OI OI OI !! grin

Diggingdoris Fri 03-Feb-17 11:39:14

Ramblingrose I have a CD called 'Housework Songs' that really makes me want to dance. I defy anyone not to want to jig about to The Weather Girls track 'It's Raining Men'!
BBC Essex has a great mix of music on it of all genres, so I have that on most days, but I love classical, pop and everything in between except rap, which irritates me!

goldengirl Fri 03-Feb-17 12:38:40

I enjoy all sorts though not the shouty 'music' that young people seem to like on TV 'talent' shows. It all depends on how I feel. I heard Jonathan Fontaine at the Barbican at Christmas and love his mellow tenor so that's my current favourite but I also like the 'oldies' my parents use to sing and dance to. Adele and Sam Smith are in my list too along with Madness and of course Queen! Sometimes I prefer jazz piano - if only I could play like Professor Longhair. The list is endless.

Conni7 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:01:58

I would love to have learnt to play the piano as a child but, as my mother said, "We don't have a piano". We were too hard-up to buy one. Started myself in my fifties and got to Grade 5 in theory, but hardly Grade 1 in practice. My brain doesn't seem to co-ordinate with my hands. Love Classic M, but turn down the adverts. I have various Mozart piano concertos in my car, and several piano sonatas - Schubert etc. Does anyone else find it difficult to do the housework with the radio on? I can't because I want to stop and listen. Love country and western and Andy Williams too.

Sar53 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:05:28

My first love are Pink Floyd, the first album I ever bought was by Pink Floyd back in the late 60's. My ex husband and I played rock music all the time, my daughters were brought up on it. I still love rock music and listen to 'The Arrow', a station on DAB radio.
Lilyflower, I also like Linkin Park. Another favourite are Muse, went to the Emirates Stadium to see them live a couple of years ago.
My OH calls me his 'rock chick', I have been known to take him along to concerts, not his cup of tea at all !!
I also like some classical music but I cannot see my tastes changing, even when I am in my 70's/80's.

Greyduster Fri 03-Feb-17 13:18:58

neversaydie I love Suo Gan too. I had it on a CD of Bryan Terfel singing traditional Welsh songs, but it went when we were burgled along with most of my collection. I must look for another. I have other CDs of his now though, one of which has a particularly moving rendering of "The Lads in Their Hundreds" which I always play around Armistice Day. It makes me cry.

Greyduster Fri 03-Feb-17 13:36:48

I would add that it I should the Somervell version and not the Butterworth one.

Foxyferret Fri 03-Feb-17 15:40:54

Music was my first love and it will be my last. Credence Clearwater Revival, Neil Diamond, Beatles, Beach Boys, Celina Dion, Barbra Streisand, Eagles, Brian Adams, Status Quo, Bon Jovi and most of all John Denver, not because he had the greatest voice but because of the beautiful lyrics. I cried the first time I heard him sing a song called For You. I play his music very often, so sad that he is no longer with us, he was a real poet and storyteller.

TriciaF Fri 03-Feb-17 15:43:22

"Thankyou for the Music" - I should have added Thankyou ABBA!

petra Fri 03-Feb-17 16:23:39

Annie You say you've never listened to Micheal Jackson. If you have the time give a listen to: Heal the world and Earth song.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Feb-17 16:59:30

Foxyferret,
I love John Denver too
Annie's song moves me to tears.

Foxyferret Fri 03-Feb-17 17:25:59

MissAdventure, glad I'm not the only fan. I have all his music and there is a lot on utube. If you can find For You, I think you will like it. Annie's song a classic.

Anniebach Fri 03-Feb-17 17:29:29

Just listened to him on utube Petra, sorry but his voice is so weak , i know how popular he is so must be me , too many years of Welsh tenors and baritones smile. but thank you, at least I have heard him now