Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you for the music..

(94 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 02-Feb-17 21:15:58

Do you listen to music much, ladies and gents?
What kind do you enjoy, and has it changed much from when you were younger?
Do you have song which take you back to specific times in your life?
Thank you; I love music, and interested in everyone's thoughts. smile

TriciaF Sun 05-Feb-17 14:25:05

Anya - I hope you get your flexibility and strength back soon. For chords etc, go slowly, I usually miss out the lowest note.
Reading this thread prompted me to ring the piano repair man on Friday. As well as my shoulder problem I can't play because two groups of notes in the 2 central octaves are dead - b****y mice again! I'm not up to a high standard, but piano playing puts you in another world.

Greyduster Sun 05-Feb-17 14:53:29

Anya you probably still play better than me with a dodgy left hand than I do with two sound hands!! And whoever said a keyboard is cheating? It's nothing of the sort. Anything you can make music on that satisfies you is great. I had a bash on my piano this morning. My sight reading has gone right down the tubes - I'll have to put some time in.

Anya Sun 05-Feb-17 22:34:22

Thanks Tricia & Greyduster. I did enjoy my music session today and music is indeed music no matter what it's played on.

Greyduster Mon 06-Feb-17 08:24:18

I was thinking, after I posted yesterday, about the Piano Concerto for Left Hand that Ravel wrote for a pianist friend of his who had lost his right hand. I was completely blown away, when I heard it first, at how someone with just one hand could play this wonderful music.

rosesarered Mon 06-Feb-17 08:39:30

Well done Elegran grin it could catch on!

Anya at least you can play the piano, which is more than I can ( I can pick out, slowly and painfully some of the tune to Z Cars ( Johnny Todd, he took a notion, for to cross the ocean wide, left his love, his only true love, weeping by the Liverpool tide.)

This morning I am listening to Paolo Nuttini.smile

Anya Mon 06-Feb-17 11:07:46

Just placed an advert in the local paper offering piano tuition for ADULT beginners. I only ever have two pupils at a time, and one had her first baby 3 weeks ago. I won't be hearing from her for a good few months ???

If I can't play much myself at least I can pass the knowledge on and I love teaching grown ups. Pity you don't live nearer roses

Just discovered some wonderful extras on my new keyboard. I can play Chopin's Nocturne op.9-2 with my right hand and to a full orchestra backing and gradually add in the left when I'm able.

What will they think of next? grin

gettingonabit Mon 06-Feb-17 15:17:49

If Nicholas McCarthy can do it......why not Anya?

rosesarered Mon 06-Feb-17 17:17:56

Yes, that would have been nice Anya then I could at least graduate to playing Chopsticks. Do you remember the bit in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray learns the piano ( he goes every day, gradually learning more and more, until he is amazing!) Have to say, that is one of my favourite films.smile

rosesarered Mon 06-Feb-17 17:18:45

Forgot to say, hope that you get some replies to your ad.

gettingonabit Tue 07-Feb-17 12:52:06

Oh yes, good luck with the teaching!

Anya Tue 07-Feb-17 14:19:28

Thanks ladies. I'm only replacing my 'new mother' pupil as I have to pay for drumming lessons for GS3 (6) . They cost £14.50 for 30 minutes.

It's more a case of keeping music tuition fees in circulation wink

Neversaydie Thu 09-Feb-17 17:42:53

I'm glad you know the proper name for The Chorus of the Hewbrew Slaves*misdeke*I want it at my funeral ..
My mum used to sing Suo Can to me and my childrengreyduster .I once had to restrain my sobs at Symphony Hall Birmingham when Bryn encored with it .DH had no idea what was wrong !
And I too love Mac Boyce lewlew

Swanny Thu 09-Feb-17 18:18:36

Be careful with The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves at a funeral Neversaydie. It was my mum's favourite piece so we had it played as her coffin was carried in to the crematorium. By the time the bearers got from the back to the front of the chapel the coffin was swaying alarmingly in time to the music!

Greyduster Thu 09-Feb-17 19:10:12

DH used to hum 'Ar lan y Mor' to GS when he was little and he used to sing him to sleep. Although he learned the Welsh words when he was at school, he has largely forgotten them, but it is a lovely gentle tune and repetitive enough to be soporific! I have listened to Bryan Terfel sing it many times and it is very moving.

Neversaydie Wed 15-Feb-17 22:58:18

Well it would probably raise a laugh swanny As it would likely be in Wales I expect the congregation would join in,all in their proper parts .

storynanny Wed 15-Feb-17 23:31:49

I love every gentr of miusic, played the piano and violin at school and taught it in schools. My weekly choir session lifts my spirits.
So many different pirced bring back memories.
My playlist for my funeral is now so long it will be like a 2 hour concert!

Floradora9 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:41:07

I only have classical music on all my tablets etc . I was trying to think of any popular music I would listen to and Barbara Dixon and the Proclaimers are all I can come up with . I just loved Sunshine on Leith with the Proclaimers music and they really are food for thought their songs as well .
As for memories Cliff singing " Travelling Light " and " Living Doll " take me back to being 14/15 and standing waiting hoping to be asked to dance .
There is a hymn " Be Still My Soul " which is sung to a theme from Finlandia and that takes me back to a church in Inverness over 40 years ago . The minister was keen on it and it is lovely.
The 23 salm sung to " Brother James's Air " takes me back to singing in the school choir .

gettingonabit Thu 16-Feb-17 15:25:55

flora there's tons of good stuff out there!

I know that hymn too. Takes me right back to Chapel!

I've just bought a new piano. I'm still in shock shock.