Gransnet forums

Chat

Decadence

(76 Posts)
NanKate Sun 12-Feb-17 11:03:46

I always feel slightly decadent when I go to the cinema in the afternoon.

When I refill my hot water bottle in the morning and take it back to bed with a cuppa.

Drinking a glass of sparkling just because I want to. This happens rarely unless I have a small bottle of Prosecco in the fridge grin

How are your decadent ?

DS64till Mon 13-Feb-17 17:02:14

Treating myself to new clothes or shoes rather than charity shop ones as always end up thinking what else I could have spent the money on more sensibly

grandMattie Mon 13-Feb-17 17:25:01

Watching TV in the afternoon.
Lunching out!
Buying myself some clothes [even from charity shopssad]

I do have a nap in the afternoon as I sleep very badly and would never make it through the day without one. I was raised in the tropics where a siesta was the norm as well. Hang the tut-tutters!!!

This Protestant work ethic and our parents have a lot to answer for. Most of us are retired, for heaven's sake, we can do exactly what we want when we want - and yet, and yet...

Barmyoldbat Mon 13-Feb-17 17:28:49

Going out on my own to go where I want , buy what I fancy ir can afford and have lunch. Last weekend OH was up and away really early as he was running in a race somewhere miles out in the cold Welsh Countryside. Me, I put. The radio on and stayed in bed reading and drinking coffe, folowed by going out to a very nice lical restaurant all on my own for Sunday lunch and a glass of wine. That felt decadent.

Neversaydie Mon 13-Feb-17 17:30:09

It's taken me 6 years of retirement to feel 'comfortable'reading in the daytime Especially if I go back to bed with a cup of tea
And I can let myself indulge only if the house is reasonably clean and neat, the washing is up to date and I have no urgent paperwork !In my case it's a Methodist work ethic Though now I think about it, my SAHM did her jobs in the morning and had the afternoons to knit, sew or read,garden (a hobby not a chore) or go for a walk .
It's not so much I feel decadent but I have to have earned it .

Nanna58 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:30:33

Downloading the book i want for my Kindle , instead of just looking at the day's 99p offers!!

Elegran Mon 13-Feb-17 17:30:55

I think a lot of the things that posters regard as decadence are really just a touch of luxury, not decadence at all.

If they said they would drink the most expensive champagne and eat Beluga caviare until they threw up over their designer dresses, stub out their cigarette ends in the dessert that the chef had concocted especially for them, take cocaine and heroin then drive the Jag that daddy bought for their eighteenth birthday into the nearest lamp-post, stagger into bed and wake up next morning with not just one but two strange partners beside them, and repeat the whole performance the following day (work? isn't that what the little people do) then I would label that decadence.

Berlin in the thirties was full of decadence.

Gaggi3 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:53:22

Decadence is ruined for me at the moment. I have been slobbing in bed for 2 days feeling ghastly with a fluey cold, too ropey even to read, knowing the kitchen is in chaos. Can't wait to feel well enough to be self-indulgent!

shysal Mon 13-Feb-17 18:10:04

Hope you will feel better soon, Gaggi3 flowers

newnanny Mon 13-Feb-17 19:05:20

Going on holiday for more than a month at a time. I love my hols.

petra Mon 13-Feb-17 19:26:07

You ladies certainly could have taught the Romans a thing or two smile

Jalima Mon 13-Feb-17 19:42:37

I could have taught the Romans how to eat properly, sitting at a dining table on a proper dining room chair instead of lounging around on a couch stuffing themselves with truffles, dormice and wine.

Iam64 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:56:49

The various decadent behaviours listed here, especially by NanKate in her OP are all familiar treats for me.

It's funny that so many of see life's ordinary pleasantries as decadent. We are recent addicts of Sunday afternoon cinema, enjoyment made even greater by having a large cup of tea and some chocolate to much. smile

Jalima Mon 13-Feb-17 20:11:54

I had a small but delicious box of champagne truffles for Christmas, and no, I did not share them blush

starbird Mon 13-Feb-17 23:39:27

All I've read so far is about older people relaxing and/or spoiling themselves a bit as they deserve to do after working all their life.

Now someone who got up Sat am and did not get dressed all day, and again on Sunday continued wearing the same clothes (trainer bottoms, vest and fleecy pj top), who ate rubbish food and a whole box of malteezers in one go, who was not ill just a bit down and tired (to be kind) or just plain lazy and undisciplined (to be more honest) - that would be decadent.

She had to go out this morning so finally had a shower and got dressed.

GailMarie1958 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:44:44

A bit of afternoon delight, for some reason going back to bed with a partner is simply wicked.

aquafish Tue 14-Feb-17 17:08:52

I read your posting with interest and a smile, think I know where you're coming from Lilyflower, after a lifetime of teaching myself!
At least we don't need to do a detailed plan with objectives identified for how were going to spend our day - although it might be quite a giggle to do so!grin Satisfactory is just great for me too, with the occasional outstanding moment, and many more which require improvement!
Here's to freedom and a shackle-free future, enjoy!

grannypiper Tue 14-Feb-17 17:47:31

Every Summer term i used to take a day off and have a day trip on my own, no Husband, children or friends, just me. I would leave the house before anyone else stirred and would get back til late.Sheer bliss

watermeadow Tue 14-Feb-17 18:24:47

I don't do decadence, I'm a natural born Puritan.
If I did ANY of the wicked things you've confessed I'd feel so guilty that it would give me no pleasure at all. I'd have to go without my breakfast (raw porridge with water), dress in my charity-shop clothes then walk 5 miles in the rain with the dog before returning home for a miserable morning doing housework.
Suitably punished, I'd have dry toast and Marmite for lunch.
Better give up Marmite, it's a bit decadent.

NanKate Tue 14-Feb-17 19:11:03

How sad * Watermeadow* what do you enjoy ?

Iam64 Tue 14-Feb-17 19:17:06

water meadow, you're having a larf aren't you x

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 19:28:43

Elegran grin yup, that's true decadence.
Starbird shock grin

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 19:34:02

I don't do decadence, but enjoy indulgences..... an afternoon nap in a warm conservatory, a choccy Magnum, a large G&T at anytime from lunch onwards,
Reading in bed in the morning with a large cuppa and marmalde toast, buying shoes or boots just because I like them, only going to events/parties/ meals that I actually want to attend.smile

Judthepud2 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:59:12

Going to our little cottage in the mountains ON MY OWN! No DH, no dog, no grandchildren. Sitting colouring, reading, watching what I want to on the tv, drinking as much or little wine as I want. It has been a long while since I did this now. Miss it.

And the ultimate decadence: a day at a spa with treatments and a nice lunch. Again, too long since that happened.

grannypiper Tue 14-Feb-17 21:29:38

Judthepud2 make it happen smile

Beammeupscottie Wed 15-Feb-17 11:03:46

All the things mentioned above I do a a matter of course - all part of everyday life and not what I would call decadent!