Gransnet forums

Chat

TV programmes that bring memories back

(141 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 14-Feb-17 22:33:37

Earlier today, I was chatting with an old friend about a series that had been on tv many years ago and how we'd forgotten about it until we had jogged each others memory. That got us onto other fondly or otherwise programmes from our youth. I'd pretty much forgotten about Doctor Finlay's Casebook, which was watched on a tiny black and white tv on a Sunday evening and, at the time, seemed so realistic that we still remembered characters from the programme. Does anyone else have fond, or not so fond, memories of long tv programmes?

Pigglywiggly Tue 14-Feb-17 22:42:34

'Aha Doctor Cameron.'
Dixon of Dock Green. We used to go to my grandparents on a Saturday, have ham sandwiches for tea, watch Dixon and then get the bus home.
Russ Conway. I don't know what his programme was called, but he played the piano and twinkled at the camera. I loved him.
The White Heather Club. Scottish dancing with lots of swirling kilts.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Feb-17 22:49:23

Exactly Piggly. The programmes that I seem to have the strongest memories of were the Scottish themed ones too! Doctor Finlay had a housekeeper called Janet and a new, younger doctor, who's face I can still see clearly, but cannot remember his name. Jimmy Stewart had the White Heather Club, is that right?

Was Dixon's son in law called Andy? No idea what the rest of the characters were called though.

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 23:05:48

We didn't have a tv so visited relatives as a child, for tea and watched tv afterwards, Captain Pugwash grin and Take Your Pick and Sunday Night At The London Palladian.The Black and White Minstrels! Doctor Finlays Casebooks, Dixon ( evenin' all) and many others ( we didn't mind what we watched, it was all good...hahah)

TwiceAsNice Tue 14-Feb-17 23:14:47

Loved Dixon of Dock Green the plain clothes detective was called Andy and Dixon always stood under the blue police light to say good night. I'd forgotten about Dr Finlay's Casebook but watched that as well. Rag Tag and Bobtail when I was a child.Peyton Place do you remember that? The Rag Trade and the Liver Birds and I still remember the shock of watching Cathy Come Home when I was quite young and crying because they took her children off her because she was homeless. And The Forsyte Saga the Downton of its day. Oh the nostalgia!

Swanny Tue 14-Feb-17 23:21:37

Chewbacca I think the young doctor was Bill Simpson. Can't remember seeing him in anything else since but his face stays with me too. Barbara Mullen played Janet.

What about The Black and White Minstrel Show? Contentious yes but it was typical of its time, along with Love Thy Neighbour.

I used to enjoy Billy Cotton's Band Show, which started on the radio then moved to television as well. Russ Conway was often on the show and I think Mrs Mills played piano on it as well.

Rupert Davies will always be Maigret for me - I didn't watch Rowan Atkinson in the role as I can't separate him from Mr Bean.

ninathenana Tue 14-Feb-17 23:50:36

I don't remember most of these although I 've heard about them.
Z cars is one that sticks in my mind. What was the title of the Jack Hargreves programme ?

Swanny Tue 14-Feb-17 23:53:04

Out of Town Nina?

SueDonim Wed 15-Feb-17 00:58:12

Emergency Ward 10 and Softly Softly, which I think was a spin-off from Z Cars.

Val Doonican's Saturday evening show, his rocking chair and jumpers.

Grandma2213 Wed 15-Feb-17 00:59:03

I remember lots of these programmes though we didn't get a TV till I was about 14. My mother always used to watch Crossroads. She looked a bit like Meg Richardson so maybe that was why. We used to laugh at the acting and the moving scenery but I still remember Benny with his woolly hat and the way he said 'Miss Diane'. The son Andy ended up in a wheelchair which seemed quite shocking at the time.

Jimmy Logan and Andy Stewart were always on on New Years Eve and as a trendy teenager I thought they were boring and old fashioned!

Stanley Baxter and Dick Emery I always thought were odd as they seemed to dress up as women a lot, though I suppose they were quite funny sometimes. I never liked Benny Hill. I always felt uncomfortable watching his shows.

The week ended watching 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium'. It always started with the Tiller Girls and we waited eagerly for the pop stars or groups which usually appeared at the end.

Morgana Wed 15-Feb-17 01:14:39

I remember Norman wisdom running round that carousel thing they had at the end of the London paladium. My dad used to love him and would laugh away at his antics.

Alima Wed 15-Feb-17 06:50:33

The first TV programme I can remember was Six-Five Special. Think it was a music programme but at the start there was a steam train. I can even remember the theme song. I was about 4. A few years later, Z Cars was very popular in the days when Fancy Smith didn't shout like what Brian Blessed does now.

Alima Wed 15-Feb-17 07:01:55

What's My Line. Is that what Nancy Spain and Isobel Barnett used to be on? Then there was The Brains Trust with a group of boring old men just talking.

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 07:13:14

Yes swanny thanks smile

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 07:16:21

How could I forget Crossroads !
Mum was addicted.

Pigglywiggly Wed 15-Feb-17 07:34:12

I remember Tonight. The words 'Look Around with Clifford MIT helmore' came on the screen and seemed to sync themselves to the music.
Wasn't the son in Crossroads Sandy? I think he ended up in the wheelchair when the actor did.

gettingonabit Wed 15-Feb-17 07:34:57

I remember my mother watching Emergency Ward 10 and Peyton Place. For me it was Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben and the Woodentops. Later, I remember Blue Peter, Belle and Sebastian and omg -The Singing Ringing Treeshock.

We used to gather round the telly to watch Thunderbirds and Tinker and Taylor on a Saturday. Later, it was the Banana Splits.

Black and White Minstrels, Billy Cotton and Morecambe and Wise for my parents. We didn't really "do" ITV so I had to go into my aunt's to watch On the Buses while my mother worked a late shift.

I always remember a prog called Joker's Wild which came on after my piano lesson. It had Barry Cryer on it.

Does anyone remember I Claudius? I loved that. My friend group thought we were very intellectual watching that!

Bouquet of Barbed Wire was on at around the same time, with creepy Frank Finlay as the besotted father. Ugh. Much more close to the bone than the more recent version.

Pigglywiggly Wed 15-Feb-17 07:35:10

Clifford Mitchelmore.

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 07:42:06

Does anyone remember "Animal, Vegetable or Mineral" with Sir Mortimer Wheeler. They gave you a clue at the start "And the next object is mineral, with vegetable connections"! And Johnny Morris's animal programme? He used to give them voices. I used to like Emergency Ward 10 and then Dr Kildare, and Adrian Hill's art programmes on children's TV and Tony Hart too.

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 07:49:50

gettingonabit I would like to see a rerun of I Claudius. Wasn't it excellent? And so many who are now household names in the cast - John Hurt, Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart, Sian Phillips, Brian Blessed, George Baker, Christopher Biggins.

Christinefrance Wed 15-Feb-17 07:58:19

I remember most of these also Doomwatch an early scifi series.
My children loved Rainbow with Zippy and Bungle. That reminds me then of Muffin the Mule, Flowerpot Men, Andy Pandy.
I have been watching reruns of The Royal, the nurses uniform is exactly the same as I wore.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Feb-17 08:02:04

Oh my word! Now you've all jogged my memory, I remember nearly all of the programmes you've mentioned. Thanks Swanny, Bill Simpson was the name I'd been searching for. Captain Pugwash! How could I have forgotten, thanks Roses! I seem to recall that some of the things Capt P said were supposed to have "double meanings", or be slightly suggestive. I have to admit that, as a child, I had absolutely no idea what was wrong with Master Bates, his assistant! smile

PRINTMISS Wed 15-Feb-17 09:04:39

There were several useful afternoon programmes too, I learned quite a lot about sewing, baking and general woodwork, and of course the keep fit. I think these were more interesting than some that are on now-a-days, although we rarely watch in the afternoon

KatyK Wed 15-Feb-17 10:00:06

All of the above but my favourite was Man About The House.
Also Juke Box Jury and Ready Steady Go when I was a teenager.

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 10:10:10

Phillip Harben's cookery programmes and who could forget Fanny and Johnny Craddock, and Barry Bucknall teaching us how to do DIY. My dad used to say "that's really interesting - I could do that" but never picked up a saw in his life! "On Safari" with Armand and Michaela Denis. My favourite Was "Diving Tim Adventure" with Hans and Lotte Hass.