Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying adverts

(57 Posts)
Angib Wed 15-Feb-17 18:46:36

Just watched the Ariel washing gel advert. Have we brought up a generation that doesn't know that you keep washing powder away from children and have to be told to do so. I assume they say it to stop themselves being sued.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Feb-17 18:31:59

I love the strutting men, the builders and the woman at the end. I love the way the builders slope off and the strutters run away.

I've been on a Warner's holiday. They're so much fun. We never sat around staring into space like they seem to in the adverts. Also I never met anyone who was so negative about children.

starbird Fri 17-Feb-17 11:27:33

I am furious about the new Nestle ad for water. Apart from spring water which is a separate issue, this company has bought the land with water rights in some areas for a ridiculously low price, 'purifies' it, adds a few minerals, bottles it and sells it at an inflated price. Even when there was (still is) a drought in California they continue to pump water there, and likewise in Pakistan they are pumping huge quantities of water so that the water table is lowered and wells run dry. The villagers no longer have clean drinking water and cannot irrigate crops. The local people have no money to buy the bottled water. Of course ultimately the landowner was to blame for selling the land with the water rights, but also Nestle can see what they are doing to the local population and carry on making a fortune regardless. The ad' says spread the message about Nestle Pure Water - I am doing it - DON't BUY IT! See www.globalresearch.ca/the-privatisation-of-water-nestle-denies-that-water-is-a-fundamental-human-right/5332238?print=1

chicken Fri 17-Feb-17 09:27:52

I love the Specsavers ad with the dead "cat" which turns out to be a fur hat---and the gulp from the real cat!

lizzypopbottle Thu 16-Feb-17 17:46:22

Haven't read all these yet so apologies if someone else has mentioned the bingo and gaming ads that suggest you'll have brilliant fun with a group of friends while you're tapping the screen and wasting money all by yourself in your sitting room.

Ana Thu 16-Feb-17 17:25:14

I don't see that ad as sending up women at all! confused

(but perhaps addition of the new woman is sending up men...)

NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Feb-17 17:15:33

ah but Sarah have you noticed those we buy any car ads have changed and now they say things like - we could have sold for more but our time was more valuable?

Huge con in my opinion - everyone wants the most they can get for their car and they're an idiot if they sell through these people.

NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Feb-17 17:12:25

Do you know Fluff I just hadn't thought of the men in shorts ad as being a send up of women...I just didn't get it !! Thank you .... now I see.

I still don't like it and the addition of the woman at the end is just wrong somehow.

Victoria08 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:15:40

Just mute all,the ads when they come on. And always have the remote control to hand.

Thecatsmum123 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:46:23

Never mind the kid what about creepy dad with icy eyes?

rizlett Thu 16-Feb-17 14:55:54

....and there was me thinking it was just a general instruction - "keep away from children"..... (wink)

sarahellenwhitney Thu 16-Feb-17 14:02:27

Vampire queen Not only is the add 'We buy any car' annoying it is not worth using unless you are desperate for cash. I know three people who sold their cars for 20% and 30% more and in less than a week, using free adds, than what we buy offered.

Lupatria Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:25

love the builders and strutters, like the meerkats and go compare too. however i wouldn't go to the websites and buy anything.
the haribo adverts are AWFUL - as are the sweets. even my grandaughters don't like them!
i, too, record most of what i watch and fast forward through the ads.
recently noticed [being too idle to fast forward several times] that there are so many ads for funeral plans. it seems that these have taken over from the ppi adverts.

thuberon Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:07

Maybe its just me but I don't begin to understand the Warner Hotel adverts that depict nasty, mostly old, people making snide remarks about close family, or grandchildren, in surroundings that look to be bleak in the extreme.

VIOLETTE Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:01

HATE all those ads for funeral policies ...especially that one with those awful women in patronising voices declaring they couldn't afford to have Stargazer lillies at their funerals (as if they would know anyway !)

Do like the Specsavers ads ...especially the one with the hat/cat and the unscheduled arrival of the space crew at the airport ! oh and some of the meercat ads !

Dont like that ridiculous ad with men strutting around in heels, or the yoghurt ads with Nicole somebody or other .....spoke to someone here who thinks the British ads are wonderful ...much better she said, than the French ones !! each to his own !! grin

Bijou Thu 16-Feb-17 13:49:20

Can help it

Bijou Thu 16-Feb-17 13:48:20

I do not buy anything that is advertised if I am help it because the cost of advertising is added to the cost of the product.

grandMattie Thu 16-Feb-17 13:47:19

I hate all ads and either press the mute button, or record the programme and fast forward through them...

angelab Thu 16-Feb-17 13:42:27

yorkshiregel can I just add that if you watch ITV on catchup (ITV hub) the ads are skipped - great!

quizqueen Thu 16-Feb-17 13:37:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Yorkshiregel Thu 16-Feb-17 13:35:28

We mostly record whatever we want to watch. That way you can fast forward through these awful adverts. Why do Companies think you believe what they say? Obviously a big con most of the time

Most annoying ad is the one of loads of men wiggling their bottoms thinking they look like women which of course they don't, no where near.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 16-Feb-17 13:29:31

I hate that yogurt ad too - I'd like to push her whole face in and keep it there! Not keen on those cross dressing men ad either apart from the big fat one running away at the very end, I think he's cute.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 12:55:51

Oh the yoghurt ones, where Nicole whatserface pretends to have a personality.. I despise those!! angry

Kim19 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:55:29

Can't cope with the Fairy liquid ad. That child's wimpy voice makes me positively squirm.

Yve1 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:47:17

Just remembered that I can't stand the series of Argos Heart of House adverts that sponsor Loose Women. Release your inner smug - yuck!

Peaseblossom Thu 16-Feb-17 12:33:49

vampirequeen I agree with you on all those. I still have to mute Go Compare ads. Can't stand them. My mum hated the meerkats ads and switched channels! grin but I like them.