Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying adverts

(57 Posts)
Angib Wed 15-Feb-17 18:46:36

Just watched the Ariel washing gel advert. Have we brought up a generation that doesn't know that you keep washing powder away from children and have to be told to do so. I assume they say it to stop themselves being sued.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 16-Feb-17 11:30:40

Still alive and kicking
We live in a nanny state and many can't think for themselves and will blame others for the state they find themselves in.

Phoebes Thu 16-Feb-17 12:03:30

I hate the ad with the strutters and builders so much that I would never consider buying their product, whatever it is! I always scream when it comes on and sometimes turn off the TV!

angelab Thu 16-Feb-17 12:25:17

Can I add the really annoying Haribo ad where the adults have childrens' voices!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 12:27:38

Oh I like that one! Its the meerkats I can't bear. smile

Peaseblossom Thu 16-Feb-17 12:27:50

stillaliveandkicking. I love the Churchill ads! I think they're very amusing and love the dog's voice.

Peaseblossom Thu 16-Feb-17 12:29:41

angelab I love the Haribo ads, they're so funny. I prefer the one where they're in a board meeting.

Peaseblossom Thu 16-Feb-17 12:33:49

vampirequeen I agree with you on all those. I still have to mute Go Compare ads. Can't stand them. My mum hated the meerkats ads and switched channels! grin but I like them.

Yve1 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:47:17

Just remembered that I can't stand the series of Argos Heart of House adverts that sponsor Loose Women. Release your inner smug - yuck!

Kim19 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:55:29

Can't cope with the Fairy liquid ad. That child's wimpy voice makes me positively squirm.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Feb-17 12:55:51

Oh the yoghurt ones, where Nicole whatserface pretends to have a personality.. I despise those!! angry

HootyMcOwlface Thu 16-Feb-17 13:29:31

I hate that yogurt ad too - I'd like to push her whole face in and keep it there! Not keen on those cross dressing men ad either apart from the big fat one running away at the very end, I think he's cute.

Yorkshiregel Thu 16-Feb-17 13:35:28

We mostly record whatever we want to watch. That way you can fast forward through these awful adverts. Why do Companies think you believe what they say? Obviously a big con most of the time

Most annoying ad is the one of loads of men wiggling their bottoms thinking they look like women which of course they don't, no where near.

quizqueen Thu 16-Feb-17 13:37:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

angelab Thu 16-Feb-17 13:42:27

yorkshiregel can I just add that if you watch ITV on catchup (ITV hub) the ads are skipped - great!

grandMattie Thu 16-Feb-17 13:47:19

I hate all ads and either press the mute button, or record the programme and fast forward through them...

Bijou Thu 16-Feb-17 13:48:20

I do not buy anything that is advertised if I am help it because the cost of advertising is added to the cost of the product.

Bijou Thu 16-Feb-17 13:49:20

Can help it

VIOLETTE Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:01

HATE all those ads for funeral policies ...especially that one with those awful women in patronising voices declaring they couldn't afford to have Stargazer lillies at their funerals (as if they would know anyway !)

Do like the Specsavers ads ...especially the one with the hat/cat and the unscheduled arrival of the space crew at the airport ! oh and some of the meercat ads !

Dont like that ridiculous ad with men strutting around in heels, or the yoghurt ads with Nicole somebody or other .....spoke to someone here who thinks the British ads are wonderful ...much better she said, than the French ones !! each to his own !! grin

thuberon Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:07

Maybe its just me but I don't begin to understand the Warner Hotel adverts that depict nasty, mostly old, people making snide remarks about close family, or grandchildren, in surroundings that look to be bleak in the extreme.

Lupatria Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:25

love the builders and strutters, like the meerkats and go compare too. however i wouldn't go to the websites and buy anything.
the haribo adverts are AWFUL - as are the sweets. even my grandaughters don't like them!
i, too, record most of what i watch and fast forward through the ads.
recently noticed [being too idle to fast forward several times] that there are so many ads for funeral plans. it seems that these have taken over from the ppi adverts.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 16-Feb-17 14:02:27

Vampire queen Not only is the add 'We buy any car' annoying it is not worth using unless you are desperate for cash. I know three people who sold their cars for 20% and 30% more and in less than a week, using free adds, than what we buy offered.

rizlett Thu 16-Feb-17 14:55:54

....and there was me thinking it was just a general instruction - "keep away from children"..... (wink)

Thecatsmum123 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:46:23

Never mind the kid what about creepy dad with icy eyes?

Victoria08 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:15:40

Just mute all,the ads when they come on. And always have the remote control to hand.

NanaandGrampy Thu 16-Feb-17 17:12:25

Do you know Fluff I just hadn't thought of the men in shorts ad as being a send up of women...I just didn't get it !! Thank you .... now I see.

I still don't like it and the addition of the woman at the end is just wrong somehow.