Gransnet forums

Chat

Some music makes me cry

(106 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 16-Feb-17 11:48:34

Came back from my short walk this morning. DH has been busy and washed the hard floors nd has his music on. I put washing on the line, DH made coffee and here I am wasting time reading Gransnet and on comes Andrea Bocelli singing Time to say Goodbye. I am in bits

Bbnan Thu 16-Feb-17 22:55:15

Mike and the mechanics..Living years and Alan Parsons old and wise...Get me every time

Izabella Fri 17-Feb-17 09:20:11

Most things by Enigma.

missdeke Fri 17-Feb-17 09:38:42

Wind Beneath my Wings and the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, Made the mistake of having that one as a ring tone on my phone, not a good look when you start to cry every time you answer your phone!!!

Craftycat Fri 17-Feb-17 09:47:30

The theme from ET. Every time.
Danny Boy
Bring him home - Les Mis.

There's a theme here. As a Mum of boys I can't bear anything where lads are not happy!

Barmyoldbat Fri 17-Feb-17 10:01:13

Time tosay. Good bye just does it for me

Elrel Fri 17-Feb-17 10:08:20

So much more, lots of Les Mis, bagpipes, brass bands, Welsh MV choirs, Danny Boy, Fields of Barley ...

shysal Fri 17-Feb-17 10:12:18

For some unknown reason the signature tune to the BBC coverage of the London Marathon starts me off!

Kim19 Fri 17-Feb-17 10:18:54

'The Very Thought of You' by Nat King Cole does it for me. Oh boy............

Nona4ever Fri 17-Feb-17 10:20:04

The Adagietto from Mahler's 5th.
The image from 'Death in Venice' of the amazing Dirk Bogard sitting in a deckchair, dying, with hair dye running down his cheeks, with this wonderful music as accompaniment is the most moving and evocative thing I know.

henetha Fri 17-Feb-17 10:24:29

Totally agree, Nona4ever. Mahler and Death in Venice is the most tragic and wonderful film/music ever. Gets me every time.
Also 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' always makes me cry, for some reason.
Queen's 'Who wants to live Forever' too.

sweetcakes Fri 17-Feb-17 10:36:06

Antieflo before I even clicked on this chat to read I saw the headline and thought ? Time to say goodbye always makes me cry so slightly surprised to find it was yours to, closely followed by Il divo mama both have me in tears

cascats Fri 17-Feb-17 10:39:14

Bitter sweet memories for me, is "Bright Eyes" from Watership Down. Gets to me even running words through my head - like now! Off for a tissue or two..

linjon Fri 17-Feb-17 10:40:49

When my ex died, my DDs chose Kate Bush "This Woman's Work" and The Kinks "Days" to be played at his funeral. Both beautiful songs which set me off every time!!

adrisco Fri 17-Feb-17 10:42:51

"Who Knows Where the Time Goes" - Sandy Denny. "Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce. Love these but weep every time I hear them. Oh and "If Tomorrow Never Comes" .. Garth Brooks (or Ronan Keating).

MissAdventure Fri 17-Feb-17 11:12:56

I don't know all of these tunes, so I'm going to have a listen to them later..

Rosina Fri 17-Feb-17 11:15:28

'Oh My Papa', and for some reason, 'Danny Boy'. It reduces me almost to sobbing. I haven't the faintest idea why! Children at my daughter's school singing a beautiful piece about Christmas - had to leave the hall before I disgraced myself by sobbing to that too.

Bach's cantata for two violins - the 'Children of a Lesser God' theme - makes my eyes fill up as it is so breathtaking, and also the Pearl Fishers duet. Wonderful how music can be so uplifting and get the emotions going - it has the same effect as a good cry I think - you feel so much better afterwards.

Yorkshiregel Fri 17-Feb-17 11:15:34

'He Aint Heavy, He's my Brother' is the song that gets to me every time I hear it. It was all the rage when my young Brother was killed in a motorbike accident.

Yorkshiregel Fri 17-Feb-17 11:17:33

When I hear the Scottish anthem being sung full pelt accompanied by bagpipes at the 6 Nations Rugby Match it really brings a tear to my eye....and I am not Scottish!

MissAdventure Fri 17-Feb-17 11:19:51

My ex introduced me to Planxty.
The song 'sweet Thames flow softly' is beautiful, and all the more poignant now. I feel emotional just reading about others' emotions!

Yorkshiregel Fri 17-Feb-17 11:21:00

Rosina talking about schools, we went to my Grandson's debut at his new school concert and they were singing 'You Raise Me Up (to be the best that I can be); Well, red faced and teary eyed I was and no mistake. It was all those little boy's faces singing their hearts out that did it I think.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Feb-17 11:24:05

I always look at children singing, and think how innocent they are, especially if they are putting their 'all' into it. I wouldn't mind, but I'm not a particular fan of children, as a rule!

BBbevan Fri 17-Feb-17 11:33:18

We used to sing " Those that here will meet no more" at school one the last day of the year. Always a tear jerked, especially with the top class.

NameChange2016 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:22

Imagine by John Lennon and Jerusalem. I was at an exhibition in London about the 1960s and it ended with those two pieces. I was sobbing!

BBbevan Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:32

Beg pardon for predictive text but I expect you call decifer my meaning

MissAdventure Fri 17-Feb-17 11:37:13

I love Freddie Mercury and Montserrat whatever her name is, singing 'Barcelona' - its magnificent: gets me teary every time, in a nice way! smile