Gransnet forums

Chat

Some music makes me cry

(106 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 16-Feb-17 11:48:34

Came back from my short walk this morning. DH has been busy and washed the hard floors nd has his music on. I put washing on the line, DH made coffee and here I am wasting time reading Gransnet and on comes Andrea Bocelli singing Time to say Goodbye. I am in bits

DanniRae Thu 23-Feb-17 18:13:13

Oh Yorkshiregel what a relief that it was a Christening and not a funeral - I was just thinking how sad!

Yorkshiregel Thu 23-Feb-17 09:41:02

I wish they had edit on this website. I have 'funeral' on the brain at the moment. I should have said 'Christening'! Sorry!

Got my mind on a funeral we have to go to next week.

Yorkshiregel Thu 23-Feb-17 09:39:52

pollyperkins They sang 'One more step along the road I go' at my GS' funeral.

MissAdventure Wed 22-Feb-17 20:24:28

I remember that song from the advert: it's quite sublime, and I had forgotten all about it.
Thank you Moira.

GrandmaMoira Wed 22-Feb-17 20:12:00

Always a woman by Billy Joel was in an advert soon after my husband died. I would hear it on the radio when going to work and it would set me off. Christmas carols in shops also did this for the first couple of years after my husband died.
When my Scottish father died, we had a piper who played the Skye Boat song. None of us liked the bagpipes but everyone was tearful.

GrandmaMoira Wed 22-Feb-17 20:08:48

In My Life is even more of a tear jerker by Sean Connery.

JackieBee1 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:09:36

Sorry, late to this thread.

Little Donkey - was my dear Grandma's favourite.

Julesey Mon 20-Feb-17 12:16:50

"You're not there" by Lukas Graham - has me in floods as it reminds me how much I miss my parents.

rubysong Mon 20-Feb-17 09:21:25

The song to the moon from Dvorak's Rusalka, also Ashokan Farewell. There are some lovely suggestions here. I've just listened to Sisters now or meetings over and like that very much, thanks for introducing me to it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 20-Feb-17 01:33:08

I'm so sorry for your loss, janetta flowers

janetta46 Sun 19-Feb-17 23:22:58

maggiemaybe, played at my request at my DGS's funeral in November. I cannot listen to it now, but hope I will be able to in time.

ElroodFan Sat 18-Feb-17 20:34:05

I just have to hear Daddy's Hands and I'm bubbling.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Feb-17 15:20:15

I haven't been able to listen to some of these without crying. I'm not sure why I'm doing this to myself, but thanks ladies for all music.

jeanio Sat 18-Feb-17 14:45:46

Why oh why did I read this thread, had to leave the room so Hubby couldn't see the tears. so many I love but can't bear to hear. Danny Boy, It started with a Kiss, Bring Him Home, Labelled with Love, Dance with My Father, Nessun Dorma, In my Life, Someone like You, Brown Eyed Girl etc, etc and lastly any school play or choir with Children singing.
We're a load of softies.

Gardenman99 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:07:25

We love 'something inside so strong' 'fall at your feet' 'time after time' 'If I could turn back time' so many wonderful songs. My wife an I sing in the Rock Choir and we often have tears in our eyes as we sing.

f77ms Sat 18-Feb-17 09:45:53

When I was sweet sixteen by the Furies has me in tears , my Gran used to sing it to us . Days by The Kinks, In my life sung by The Beatles .

shysal Sat 18-Feb-17 09:36:41

I Hope You Dance and Dance With My Father Again. Also a Nativity play which reduces me to tears, but of laughter.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNyTmWJlvyg

Blinko Sat 18-Feb-17 08:47:42

This is such a lovely thread. I must download some of these (maybe all) to my ipad. Thanks so much, ladies.

Jangran99 Sat 18-Feb-17 00:32:06

Remember When sung by Alan Jackson

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Feb-17 00:21:22

janetta46, I've just listened to The Dixie Chicks' Godspeed, Sweet Dreams for the first time. I think it's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

lemondrizzle Fri 17-Feb-17 21:58:53

I'll take you home again Kathleen, always brings a tear to my eye, makes me think of my lovely Irish mum who was called Kathleen.

grannybuy Fri 17-Feb-17 21:45:21

Enrico Morricone's theme tunes, particularly Cinema Paradiso.

Neversaydie Fri 17-Feb-17 21:42:09

And Away in a Manger
Sung to me by a Salvation Army band/choir while I held my 9 month old daughter in my arms, standing in our bay window. I gave them a massive donation...

Neversaydie Fri 17-Feb-17 21:39:59

Calon Lan and Cwn Rhondda Sung at my wedding ,my parents' funerals, my childrens' blessings and my brother's funeral
Bryn Terfel singing Suo Gan
Danny Boy
It's a Wonderful World
and yes, as the mother of daughters Slipping Through Your fingers

stillaliveandkicking Fri 17-Feb-17 19:27:33

Yep, school concerts did it to me every time!

Louis Armstrong - All the love in the world
Luther - Dance with my father again

1st was my dad's favourite song, second is mine due to us always dancing together at any given opportunity.

Still miss him so much 18 years later sad