Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny words children invent

(92 Posts)
Swanny Thu 16-Feb-17 17:37:33

We've had a few posts recently about words and phrases we use, and those used by our parents. This made me think of some of the funny words my DGS uses, such as 'huggle' for a combined hug and cuddle, and 'mimits' for minutes. Anyway, I came across this today and thought I'd share it

Elrel Fri 17-Feb-17 09:41:46

All animals were 'diggens' (chickens) to #1 GS. During a visit to Jersey at 2 his DS, having been to the zoo wanted to go again to see 'oranga
moutan' singing.
One of DD's first words was 'popop' which would be either pop up, the toaster or parp parp, the car.

janmarie Fri 17-Feb-17 09:51:30

My daughter used to call the microwave the "beep beep". My Mum had quite a noisy fan on hers which blew air out the front. My daughter announced "Did you know Nana has a windy beep beep"!

blueberry1 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:53:37

My daughter called my dad gangan before she could say grandad properly and it stuck.She had a favourite toy-her pandan - seems she liked rhyming 2 syllables! We also had banabanas for bananas and michaelphone for microphone.

Lupin Fri 17-Feb-17 10:04:17

My younger daughter was very taken with her sister's leotard. I was puzzled why she kept asking me for a jam tart, until I realised what she meant. Leotards are forever jam tarts in our family.
They both had a comfort cloth to twiddle when they needed it and they were nuddlies.

babcia Fri 17-Feb-17 10:04:59

My DG complained about the peskeetoes (mosquitos) on holiday with us. Also her Auntie Audrey became Auntie Strawberry.

TwiceAsNice Fri 17-Feb-17 10:35:55

DD used to call ducks cack cacks ( as in quack quacks)

DGD called stars WA WA,s don't really know why. Animals were aminals we all still say this even though they can pronounce it properly now also cause it ( instead of pause it) when they wanted a programme on the telly stopped without missing anything.

I was called Raggy when grandchildren very little because they couldn't say Granny at the time

Yorkshiregel Fri 17-Feb-17 10:56:59

My little brother could not say 'elephant', he used to call them 'leddidits'.

HurdyGurdy Fri 17-Feb-17 10:57:11

MY son liked to have brocciflower with dinner (when we had both broccoli and cauliflower at the same time), and loved being in the applaudience at the theatre smile

Yorkshiregel Fri 17-Feb-17 11:00:07

My 3 yr old GSon made all heads turn when he said:

Wher's mi forkin knife?

MissAdventure Fri 17-Feb-17 11:05:38

My friends little girl used to call her aunty Angela, aunty Gingella, which was quite fitting, as aunty had bright ginger hair.

starlily106 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:07:12

My son used to say raididater and beranda, (radiator and veranda). And I still call them that! And a cousin of mine, when very small always put an h on the front of lots of words. His best offer was 'Hoyce and honnie har hup the hairs, hin the highest haff hints the highest haffhoom

Fid Fri 17-Feb-17 11:12:55

I still live in a world of "cashmerdexers" and "Parkcars".

starlily106 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:13:21

Sorry , for highest, read hig, for hints read hin. What he was trying to say was Joyce and Ronnie are up the stairs in the big bath in the big bathroom..
I do wish this tablet wouldn't do this to me!

annodomini Fri 17-Feb-17 11:29:19

I almost forgot: I was at a loss to explain why DS1, as a small toddler used to call money 'ait' until the corner shopkeeper handed me my change and I said 'that's right' and a small voice beside me echoed, 'that's ait'.

Bijou Fri 17-Feb-17 11:32:31

When my son was little he was drinking a cup of tea when he said it was stagerous meaning too strong. After that we and our friends always used that word for too strong tea.
My daughter when little couldn't say 'yellow' it was oowere.

Diggingdoris Fri 17-Feb-17 11:48:23

Strange how these funny words still get used in our family today. Leaving the car in the parcark, having salt and biginer on our chips, and putting hat and gubs on in the cold.

seemercloud Fri 17-Feb-17 11:52:37

Haribo beans (haricot)

inishowen Fri 17-Feb-17 12:02:22

My GD says the postman makes deliberies. When the cat is pawing her lap she's prickprocking. There are many more but I don't want to write a long reply.

Katek Fri 17-Feb-17 12:05:20

Hocop for helicopter!

harrigran Fri 17-Feb-17 12:06:56

GD from being tiny would look to see if the moon was out and tell her dad " moon out, get skeletope " When shopping we had to put the car in the parcark and cat prints in the snow were pootfrints.

Flowerofthewest Fri 17-Feb-17 12:08:30

Tentacles for testicle. ...DGS once asked grandpa 'Do you have tentacles grandpa, like me and daddy?'

Daddy day for Saturday as daddy not at work then.

Womble54 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:15:01

My daughter, now 30, has always loved music, and has had a band since she was about 15. When she was about 2 years old she heard the chimes of an ice cream van but couldn't see where the sound was coming from. "Moogit up sky!" she proudly announced. Everything after that was "up sky", including a hot air balloon ("Boon up sky") and the moon ("Moon up sky"). In time she had a little sister two years younger. "Moon up sky" the older child pointed out when we were out in the car one night. "We gotta moon!" the younger one replied.

Sheilasue Fri 17-Feb-17 12:47:04

Friend of mine has a gd when she was little would often say 'for dogs sake'

Hattiehelga Fri 17-Feb-17 12:55:23

Five year old DS called the garden hammock "the haddock" and we still say we are sitting on the haddock - he is forth two now !

Hattiehelga Fri 17-Feb-17 12:56:27

rheumaticy fingers - "forty two" !