Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny words children invent

(92 Posts)
Swanny Thu 16-Feb-17 17:37:33

We've had a few posts recently about words and phrases we use, and those used by our parents. This made me think of some of the funny words my DGS uses, such as 'huggle' for a combined hug and cuddle, and 'mimits' for minutes. Anyway, I came across this today and thought I'd share it

SueRJ Sat 18-Feb-17 17:33:48

When I was young (about 5/6)there was a fashion for boleros and I had a lovely white angora one, I was very proud of it. My father could never grasp the word and always called it my 'bothero'.
My DD always called cucumber 'cumbercube' and my DGD calls DVD's 'diveos'.

When I was young (about 5/6)there was a fashion for boleros and I had a lovely white angora one, I was very proud of it. My father could never grasp the word and always called it my 'bothero'.

SueRJ Sat 18-Feb-17 17:35:31

Sorry, don't know why it does that 3 times!!

JanT8 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:09:42

Several that are still used in our family, Bounceline for trampoline, which I think is a far better word. Masagines, and we live in a Bungahome not a bungalow.
The daughter of a friend of ours had an imaginary friend called Melanie Rang , we later discovered this came from Lemon Meringue!
Our niece always referred to an orange segment as a 'dopey'. Some you can understand but 'dopey' ?

Margsus Sat 18-Feb-17 18:37:20

DDS2 called a helicopter an ooh la la, and cucumber was doodoo dun dun. Raisins were nunnies, and slippers were woo woos! And yes, 30 years later we still use those words....

Willow500 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:21:20

My youngest son for some reason called celery Oliver and the cemetery was the skelliyard - still used by us 40 years on. All of these are very funny. When my cousin (now 70) was little he told his mum he was going in the back yard for some fresh arrr grin

Regalo Sat 18-Feb-17 21:07:54

My son called pudding 'broooom broooom'......reflective of his love of both toy cars and my puddings!

newnanny Sun 19-Feb-17 17:25:50

Cathy21 my niece did exactly the same and it makes sense as they do flutter by.

MeggyMay Mon 20-Feb-17 21:18:05

One wee grandgirl hopped uncomfortably about due to poison noodles in her footsmile

funstr Mon 20-Feb-17 23:48:41

going over the rainbow for roundabouts, he had heard that we had to drive straight on over the roundabout and recently watched OZ. Belly bottomed for being full up after meal, and brother, when little, used to sing very loudly when Granada tv prompt appeared "its Bananas" to same tune.