Gransnet forums

Chat

My Apocalypse!

(37 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Fri 17-Feb-17 04:49:52

Life has suddenly gone wrong . The car's playing up, camera not working , grandbaby put a key into my cd player now it won't open !
My arthritis diagnosed 2 years ago has flared up in pelvis and knees , I can hardly walk , waiting on a physio appointment . Woke up stressed at 2 am , worried about mobility and immediate future . House move? Have to give up work? Repair or fork out for a new car?
Daughter in court on Monday after being assaulted by husband and now needing a lot of cash and childcare help .
Everything goes wrong all at the same time , doesn't it !
Feeling better now !! Yipee it's Friday !

cornergran Fri 17-Feb-17 06:10:16

Yes, don't life's custard pies have a habit of coming along all at once? So sorry this is happening to you. What a lot to deal with. You must be feeling pretty overwhelmed tiredoldwoman so not surprised at the 2am waking. Trouble is it's the worst time for clear thought. Is there a local mechanic who could look at the car, may not take much to sort it? Can family or friends recommend one? We've used a mobile mechanic or a tiny garage in a side street in the past at half the cost of a dealership. If you have breakdown cover and it won't start could you use that? They are pretty good at diagnosis.

Your daughters situation isn't so easily fixed and you must have been scared for her but so pleased she has escaped violence. It sounds like a step at a time for her and also for your health. Being in pain also doesn't help the thought processes. I think your head is rushing along, too much is not known. There will be financial help your daughter can claim, the CAB can advise on that. Have you been honest with your doctor about your pain and mobility level? If not please do go back and tell them your reality, also mention the family pressure. See if physio can be fast tracked for you. Maybe a review with the rheumatologist? Sick leave from work?

The CD player and the camera can have some focus once the big things settle a bit. suspect a techie person with the right screwdriver could retrieve the key fairly easily. That's grandbabies dor you! So, one thing at a time? It's a rotten time for you all, really wish you had some practical help available. Chin up. You will get there. Take care and vent away here as much as you need to. There is always someone to listen.

grannypiper Fri 17-Feb-17 08:29:32

Well tiredoldwoman thats enough to keep anyone awake, poor you. Ask the Doctoer for three nights of sleeping tablets then use them, everythig feels a hundred times heavier when you are in pain and not sleeping, if you do wake up during the night say to yourself ok i will lie here and worry myself sick for 5 minutes and no more, let yourself worry then say enough, if you try to hide the worry it always comes back and bites you on the backside, so let it have its 5 minutes.
The camera and cd player are a pain, but can be fixed later. We need baby steps here so one thing at a time.
As for the car what is wrong ? wont it start or is it overheating ? let me know and will ask DH, you never know it might be something simple.
As for your DD, what a bloody awful situation, you can only give her your love and time but make sure she use's everything bit of help that is available, has she registered for free childcare or used the benefit calculator at gov.co.uk/benefitcalculator.
Hope the day gets better and phone that physio and hound her until she gives you an appointmentbrew cupcake

Marydoll Fri 17-Feb-17 08:39:02

So sorry you are feeling like this. You are not having it good at all. My arthritis too has flared up and I can hardly put my feet on the floor. With that comes the terrible exhaustion and that's when, with pain everything seems even so much worse, the little things especially. This will obviously be affecting your ability to cope.
I've taken DVD players apart before, is there some one you could ask to do it for you? It's not too difficult.
I'm not in the best of humour as hubby was blundering about at 6am to go and play golf and then decided not to play as it is too foggy.
After reading your post, I realise I have nothing to whinge about. Chin up, lots of support for you on Gransnet, I'm sure.

tiredoldwoman Fri 17-Feb-17 13:29:03

Gosh , what a moaning confused old git I was this morning ! Sorry . Have prioritised and tackled everything , car to be repaired tomorrow ( spark plugs etc ) , that'll be keep me mobile and ready and able to help my daughter . I upped my pain killers this morning and have had discomfort only, not the unbearable pain of the last few days . I'm on the ball again . I'll treat myself to a new camera later , and have a look at the CD player at the weekend .
I'm off to have some soup and the sun is hot and lovely here ! Have a good weekend everyone x thanks for your sensible comments .

Marydoll Fri 17-Feb-17 15:32:10

Glad you are feeling a bit better. It always helps to have a rant and get it off your chest.

cornergran Fri 17-Feb-17 22:44:11

Good for you. Onwards and upwards

Elrel Fri 17-Feb-17 23:05:19

Lovely to see that you've perked up and are coping now. Hope things go well for DD.

radicalnan Sat 18-Feb-17 09:06:51

If your daughter has to be at the courts there are organisations that can offer support to her Victim Support or free advocacy services.......just helps to have company and someone who knows the ropes.

I find electrical things, mechanical things and pain/stress all feed off each other.......no idea why.

Always someone to talk to or commiserate with, life can be such a git.......and don't get me started on arthritis........grrr

lizzypopbottle Sat 18-Feb-17 09:16:08

Depending how your CD player opens, there is often a tiny hole on the door/flap/whatchimacallit that you can push an opened up paper clip into and it might open.

Tessa101 Sat 18-Feb-17 09:24:05

Glad your feeling better about things. Whilst car in the garage ask him about CD player, mechanics have had and seen it all so he will probably have a idea how to remove it and that's another job jobbed.

f77ms Sat 18-Feb-17 09:28:05

Very similar catalogue of events for me this week , Transfer from DLA to PIP resulted in the loss of my car -devastating as my walking is really bad due to neuropathy and severe arthritis in my feet . The boiler finally packed up so I am depending on a couple of small heaters in a draughty old house . XDIL has again stopped contact with my beautiful GS who is 9 because my son has announced that he is getting married to his partner of 3 years . I still count my blessings though , at least I have a droughty old house , so many poor souls sleeping rough in this weather . The boiler will be replaced as soon as my DMs house is sold ! XDIL does this on a regular basis and will get fed up of DGS asking to see his Dad , hopefully before not too long ! Onwards and upwards as they say ..

morethan2 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:01:12

I hope your all feeling brighter today. I'm feeling really down in the dumps. Just feeling sorry for myself really. I attended my MiL's funeral last week and it's made me feel sad. It'll get better I know. Griefs like that. My problem is when I feel like this I over analyse stuff. I need a really good ??

cherryblossom Sat 18-Feb-17 10:04:50

My DH had massive brain bleed in May last year and is now in long term care. On discharge from hospital in October in a vegatative state we we told he would not recover. He is now making amazing progress and we can see light at the end of the tunnel. My biggest worry apart from his health is our financial situation only got funds for our mortgage for a few months

grannypiper Sat 18-Feb-17 10:12:02

tiredoldwoman flowers life is a bugger somedays. I am miserable this morning as one of my molars split in half last night so off to the emergency dentist today, dont know what will be worse the treatment or the cost grin

Rosina Sat 18-Feb-17 10:22:54

It seems that the great wrecking ball of life hits you squarely in the face and knocks you down, and just when you cautiously dust yourself off and try to stand up - BANG! There it is again giving you something else to contend with. You must feel so exhausted with all this; I can only offer a sage piece of advice given to me years ago; 'Your worst fears rarely happen'. That probably doesn't seem too helpful right now but perhaps the car won't be too expensive, maybe you can take the CD apart (slightly!!) and get the key out, and with any luck the flare up will subside. I was crawling about two weeks ago and suddenly it has calmed down a lot - I hope your does too. We can only do one day at a time; try to keep calm difficult as it is. My thoughts are with you, tiredoldwoman - I feel much the same often.

tiredoldwoman Sat 18-Feb-17 10:29:50

Oooh, Grannypiper , that sounds like a painful morning for you , both physically and financially. Hope it's not too bad x Will it be a pull out job ??

sarahellenwhitney Sat 18-Feb-17 10:30:42

There is a saying 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'
So many things I relied on my late husband sorting out,now its up to me.I had to get a grip which until I picked myself up and dusted myself down gave me many sleepless nights.
We can't prevent everything but now I don't wait for my central heating to pack up in the middle of winter I get it serviced every year which entitles me to emergency call out
Insured for car breakdown, mine will come straight to my house if my car won't start.I have osteo arthritis and asmtha My managed prescriptions mean I never run out and the pharmacy delivers.I get assisted refuse collection due to age and health reasons, my DH used to take it to recycling, had to really push my local authorities for this.I cannot prevent my families marriages going wrong I can only give them moral support.
Yes I do get the every thing happening to me all at once times but isn't it up to ourselves to work out how we can get round issues that need not have happened?

Morgana Sat 18-Feb-17 10:35:16

Think stress makes
Arthritis worse so keep taking the pain killers. Advice above sounds good re other problems.

Lindaloulabel Sat 18-Feb-17 10:43:21

flowers

Luckygirl Sat 18-Feb-17 10:47:36

What a tough lot we all are! smile Hope a bit of spring weather will help everyone to feel brighter - it si just round the corner, honestly!

Nannylovesshopping Sat 18-Feb-17 12:29:24

For all of you with so much to deal with, just getting on with it, you are all amazingflowers

minxie Sat 18-Feb-17 12:52:23

I can only help you with your arthritis.
Ddp yoga is a huge help for people like you. I've just started doing a couple of the beginner classes myself.
Have a look at this army veteran who could hardly walk.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Ddp have an fb page where you can see how many people its helping
who have lots of health issues.
You can eat an elephant, just one bite at a time

quizqueen Sat 18-Feb-17 13:14:34

When the cd ejection carriage gets stuck on my recorder( if that's the problem and that's even what it's called!)I use two knives at either side of the mechanism to wobble it a bit and then ease it out. The key inside needs to find a level where it will not block the tray for the disc coming out. Then I would the key put of reach.

Brendaj Sat 18-Feb-17 13:37:38

Does any one have trouble with their internet .mine has been down all weekend .phoned them up and they said the earliest they could send someone out to me is next Wednesday despite them admiting their is a fault with the phone line.I am not happy it makes you wonder why I pay them each for a phone line.it makes me angry as they are quick enough to take your money. does anybody else have the same problem.