Gransnet forums

Chat

i dont understand

(35 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 17-Feb-17 14:27:00

My daughter's car was hit by the car behind her at a roundabout a couple of weeks ago, i was with her at the time. She had just filled up her car with petrol and was heading for the car wash to hoover inside and clean the outside. She is moving into a shared house at the end of this month and the inside of the car was full of bits and pieces after taking unwanted items to the local tip and we needed to clean it. The lady who hit her exchanged details and it appeared the only damage done was to the cover for the light underneath the number plate on daughters car. We had been shunted out into the road so considered ourselves lucky. At the car wash we started to hoover and my daughter got a carrier bag out of the boot to put some bits too large to go up the hoover into. When she did this she then realised the boot would not reclose. The car had obviously been damaged in an area we couldnt see. Anyway to cut a long story short, insurance company contacted, curtsy car delivered and her car taken for repair. They have now said it is a write off, unable to repair. Obvviously she is not going to get anywhere near what she paid for the car, she has lost 50.00 of petrol as she had filled the tank for the month, also two weeks prior to this happening she had paid out 400.00 for a new water pump. She now has to get a loan to purchase another car and it is going to take a couple of years to repay that. Plus the insurance company say that they will take the rest of the years insurance out of the payment she receives even though they are not insuring a car!!! I dont understand at all how this works. Surely her insurance company will claim back any costs from the other woman's company as she was the one who drove into my daughter. They refuse to say why the car is unrepairable and the whole senario has been one big nightmare. My daughter is also having to go to a physio for a back issue she now has and he says there is damage to her right shoulder as well as her back. What is the point of having insurance, she is the injured party but it has cost her a fortune in money, physcial pain, and mental stress. She doesnt have a lot of money and needs her car for work as she works unsociable hours. Can anyone enlighten me as to what was the point of paying out each month for insurance and she has got nothing back so far!!!!! I thought insurance was to give you peace of mind but in this case it certainly hasn't.

Snowdrop Sat 18-Feb-17 11:24:12

I understand that your daughter could take her case to the small claims court. This would be on the basis that the other driver would be bound to return your daughter financially to the situation she was in before the accident. CAB should be able to help point her in the right direction.

Rosina Sat 18-Feb-17 11:55:18

When I had a minor bump (other party hit my car from behind) the insurance company were useless. In the end I had to chivvy them almost daily to get it sorted out. It's the same old story sadly - you have to jump up and down to get anything done. If your daughter is injured, however slightly, as others have said, see the GP, get a solicitor and claim - her ex gratia costs like the petrol should be included too if she has kept the receipt with the date. It's worth adding everything in - physio costs too obviously - and then keeping on and on - only that way do you seem to get what you are entitled to and let's face it - what you have paid them for!

quizqueen Sat 18-Feb-17 13:39:56

She should be able claim for personal injury (doctor's certificate required)if she has fully comp and a courtesy car until the accident claim is settled in full. My daughter has had 3 occasions where a driver has gone into her car at the rear (none her fault) and each time she has claimed compensation for herself and any items damaged. She should also claim for the petrol too- she will have the receipt to show it was bought minutes before the accident. I also advised my daughter to refuse the first sum offered by one of the insurance companies because it was not enough as a lot of money had been spent on the car recently and it could not be replaced with same standard of car (low mileage, minimum owners etc.) with the sum they offered. They suggested sending in copies of local car for sale ads in the paper, and when she did, was offered more money. The insurance company also said they would collect the old damaged car for a fee or she could get rid of it herself (it had been towed home)so she sold it to a local dealer and that was more money she got and she was able to buy a decent replacement car. The question was is: it worth having car insurance? Well, a) it's illegal not to and b) if you are at fault in an accident then you would get nothing if you weren't insured

Legs55 Sat 18-Feb-17 14:35:58

When DH was hit by a lady pulling out of a school (she was a teacher) she admitted liability & they exchanged details. Luckily our car was driveable, car had to go into local Ford dealer & DH had a curtersy car for a few days. When we got car back Assessor came out to look & informed us that the repair would cost more than the value of the car, he made us an offer & said if we wanted we could "buy the car back" for £1 & have repairs done ourselves. We agreed to this.grin

Sorry to hear of your DD experience, hope you get everything sorted out.flowers

Barmyoldbat Sat 18-Feb-17 15:23:08

We did the same with our write off car, we had it repaired at a far cheaper price than what we have put towards another car. Worh getting an estimate.

patriciageegee Sat 18-Feb-17 18:08:09

Please check travelasfar on the terms of the write off as sometimes the insurance company will pay out for the car but allow your daughter to actually keep the car rather than having it scrapped

Marydoll Sat 18-Feb-17 19:14:38

I was sitting at the traffic lights (which were red) when a lorry ran into the back of me. At first he was shouting and swearing at me, asking why I was stopped in the middle of the road. That is until the police pointed out the pelican crossing, I had stopped at.
His insurance company phoned within the hour accepting full liability.
However, when I went to renew my own insurance, my premiums shot up. When I asked why, since the other driver had accepted full responsibility, I was told that I was now more likely to have an accident! This was despite it not being my fault. Yet when my daughter renewed hers, and I am a named driver on hers, she was told that my accident would not affect her premiums in any way. No consistency. That was 6 years ago, I am still a nervous wreck at traffic lights.

Grandmama Sat 18-Feb-17 19:24:19

Car insurance needs investigating. Even if it's not your fault the premium goes up. Three members of my family have had their cars damaged through no fault of their own. DD1's car was hit on a residential road by someone coming up her nearside when she was indicating left to turn into a parking area. She agreed to a 50/50 settlement (I wouldn't have).

DD2 was hit when stationary. It was dark and raining and she could not see the damage to her cream coloured mini. The next day all she could see was a faint mark over the rear offside wheel arch, a negligible mark. The other driver (BMW) claimed almost £2000 in repairs, submitted no photographs. DD2 sent a photograph of the damage to her car and a map of where it had happened and a full statement. If his BMW had really sustained all that damage surely her mini would have been a write-off. Again the insurance companies wanted 50/50 settlement (nearly two years ago, not sure if it's settled yet).

This week DD2's husband's car was badly damaged while parked. Again the insurance company is saying 50/50.

It is simply not fair that totally innocent drivers are penalised in this way.

greatmum Mon 20-Feb-17 16:06:56

To buy for return of car and scrape value ! Then find a small repairer to fix boot for you !
This way you will still have petrol and the £400 won't have been wasted, insurance company's make big money by using these methods !
We have done this twice in last 15yrs,. each time it was more facial then major damage !