Gransnet forums

Chat

Telepathy - any experiences?

(50 Posts)
Witzend Mon 20-Feb-17 09:56:32

My mother was an acutely sensitive type, which could sometimes make her difficult to,live with, but on two occasions that I know of personally, she picked up exact details of trauma or distress in a family member thousands of miles away, at the exact time they were happening, as it transpired later.

These were not cases of being wise after the event. In one case it was me, and I was seriously spooked when my mother wrote to me (and she never wrote, it was always my father) saying she was very worried since she'd dreamt about me - and went on to give exact details, none of which she could possibly have known. This was long before mobiles, and I didn't even have a landline at the time. The date on her letter made it clear that she'd had the dream on the same night I was in such a state.

I don't actually find it that weird any more, when you consider what a very cheap radio or mobile phone can pick up. The human brain is so complex, and AFAIK they still don't know what every last bit of it does.
The cases I know of only happened when the person involved was seriously stressed or distressed, so her ability could never have been proved under lab conditions, and of course the pooh-poohers will never believe anything that can't be proved under lab conditions.
Was just wondering whether anyone else had had similar experiences.
Pooh-poohers need not reply!

Nanna191729 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:01:01

Given that we only use a fraction of our brain capability I am of the opinion that we all have telepathic powers - it's just that in some people it's more defined or more easily accessible

Yorkshiregel Tue 21-Feb-17 14:07:32

I believe in it. My sisters and sons are all tuned in! I once picked up the telephone to find my Mother already on the line believe it or not. Just got the urge to 'phone her.

It seems that GS has also got the knack. He had been feeling as though something bad was going to happen all day, then at 5 o clock as we were sitting down to eat we got the message that My Brother in Law had just died.

Diggingdoris Tue 21-Feb-17 14:08:58

It happens all the time with me. I pick up the phone to ring a friend and before I can dial it rings and its her. Then the other day I bumped into the lady who used to teach piano to my son 30 years ago. That evening I rang my son and said guess who I bumped into today? The first name he guessed was hers! So strange as we've not even talked about her since his last lesson. Spooky!

Yorkshiregel Tue 21-Feb-17 14:22:22

I also just remembered that my younger sister and I bought the same material to make a maternity dress on the same day. I was in Belgium and she was in UK!

greatmum Tue 21-Feb-17 15:48:40

As a child ,. With stepmother and father we would go for walks in different areas by car or by bus,. On one of these walks by an very old bridge near some terraced small cottages, no front gardens , but a wee stream ran along where there garden would have been, then a rough path which almost edged the river , it was quaint and I could see these children playing ....But they were not dressed like me ...But as in dickens time,. Though I am not sure I was old enough to know of him! I tried to tell my dad who was talking to mum, but when I looked back the children were gone !
Since then I have had many such things happen, including knowing we would have vistors any moment ! No phones back then, but I knew ! Sometimes who! But dreams have given me advanced notice of future happenings!
I told my daughters before they got pregnant it was going to happen and boy or girl! Also grand daughter, was to have a son,. No way was her response ..Less then nine months later he arrived !
And I won't travel if I get bad vibes ! Or go by other means/ change route plan ! It did say our lives when returning home from a holiday, had a dream so frightening, that I knew we were dead !
So changed day of return to earlier ...Last bit on mountain road I never told my dh ...And just as we came to bend , as in my dream, this speeding red car came on our side of road,. We had no room to move as cliff dropped away on our left, but somehow he 'just' missed us ! U can imagine how I felt... But dh. Was in a bad state , had to drive on to next viewing area ! And then sit !!!

Bluebe11 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:14:37

Following an operation I was very groggy and in severe pain. A record kept playing over and over in my mind "I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain ". My daughter came to visit the next day and she asked me who sings that exact song ! When I asked why, she said she hasn't been able to get the song out of her head all day since yesterday !

grandma60 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:21:40

My Mum spent the last years of her life suffering from dementia. For some time she had lost her speech and no longer knew who we were. However one day I visited her and found her very alert for the first time in over a year. She told me that her cousin was very sad as her dog had just died and talked of how badly behaved the dog was (true!) but commented that even so she was sorry as she knew her cousin would be very upset. I asked her how she knew, and she suddenly became very confused again and said she must have read about it in the paper. After that she went back to her usual silence.
I asked the care home staff if she had had any other visitors but they said no.
Later I rang her cousin. The first thing she said was that they had had an awful week as they had needed to have their beloved dog put to sleep.

spabbygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 16:47:23

I believe it too. I have had many occurrences but once someone I knew and 4 other strangers were talking about telepathy. we swopped bits of jewellery & things to see if we could feel anything from it. I held a bracelet & just knew it had had a snake crawling over it, the owner then said she kept snakes. I held a ring from someone else, 'that has been in a fire' I said, and the owner said it had. I don't know how I knew, I just did. I didn't see or hear anything to tell me. I wish I knew how to develop it.

Emptynester Tue 21-Feb-17 17:20:40

when the phone rang at my sisters house on the morning after Boxing Day, my mother who had been staying there for Christmas, said 'Chris has had the baby', before the phone was answered! I wouldn't mind but the baby wasn't due until the end of February!
Also, a good friend told her husband that morning that she had dreamt I had had the baby and it was a boy. DH phoned them later in the day to tell them.

Witzend Tue 21-Feb-17 18:29:35

Grandma60, that is very interesting re dementia. My mother also had it for many years and was in a most pitiful state for a long time before she died - she hadn't known any of us for ages. I had heard of lucid moments returning, and had hoped to see it, but sadly there was never any sign - it was as if she was gone long before she actually died.

Elenkalubleton Tue 21-Feb-17 18:47:06

When I was about 18 my brother and I where playing cards and I just said guess what card I'm holding ( I was opposite him) I tried to mentally send him the answer.He got every single one right! Spooky!we swapped but it didn't work the other way round.
Tried it with his wife and that didn't work either.weird expierence.

Legs55 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:01:09

I often have the experience of the phone ringing just when I've thought I must ring L, or I will ring her & she says I was just going to ring youconfused

aggie Tue 21-Feb-17 19:25:30

I read the tea leaves for fun but gave it up when a. few things were right , last thing was a clear map of New Zealand and a few days later my eldest rang to say he was going there for a year

grandma60 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:06:03

Witsend It's very hard to see your Mum living like that isn't it? I often used to wonder what thoughts mine might have in her head. At the time of the incident she hadn't spoken or shown any understanding for well over a year and yet on that day she seemed to recognise me and spoke accurately about her cousin and her dog. She even remembered the dogs name. She used to be close to the cousin but they had not communicated for several years so even if Mum had not had dementia she wouldn't have known what had happened. It was as if her mind had already left her and had travelled to see what was happening elsewhere. (Not sure if that makes sense but I know what I meanconfused. )
The only other time it happened was when DH and myself went for a muddy walk before calling in at the care home. We had to clean the mud off our boots before knocking the door. When the carer answered we could hear Mum at the other end of the house shouting about mud on the carpet! It was as if she had been on the walk with us.

quizqueen Tue 21-Feb-17 22:16:00

I went to a local concert once and a lady, whom I had never seen before, sitting next to me looked at me and said, ' I can see a flat mountain'. As I had recently been informed that I had won a holiday to Cape Town in South Africa, I was quite spooked so I do believe some people can have extra insights.

Grandma2213 Wed 22-Feb-17 01:05:07

I woke up one morning with a severe pain in my chest and as I have always tended to do, got up and carried on. I had to take some rubbish to the tip and when I returned my DS told me there had been a phone call and my dad had died of a heart attack. It turned out it was at the time I had the pain.

Another time I suddenly told DS3 there was something wrong with DS2 but he was all right. He was away for a couple of days with a friend. A little while later I had a phone call from him saying he had been riding a quad bike and fallen into a prickly bush. He was scratched and sore. This had happened at the time I spoke to his brother.

Another time I suddenly developed a severe headache which only lasted a few minutes. Shortly after I received a phone call from school saying DS1 had a migraine (his first).

Witzend I too believe that this must be something to do with the electrical impulses in the brain especially if they are between people who are closely connected such as mothers and children.

There is so much to learn about the human brain!!

Witzend Wed 22-Feb-17 06:28:18

The incidents regarding babies struck a chord, since a similar thing was the first time I experienced it with my mother.
I was only about 10. She got up one morning utterly convinced that a sister in Canada had had a baby. She was quite specific - she had woken at 6.30, looked at the clock and gone back to sleep until the alarm went off at 7, and during that half hour she'd had the dream.
The sister already had 3 children and there had been no word of another on the way. Again, this was well before long distance calls were a regular thing, and letters were few and far between - to be honest my mother wasn't even very close to this sister, who was a lot younger.
We forgot all about it, until a birth announcement card arrived a couple of weeks later, giving the date and time of the birth. And when we worked out the time difference, she'd been born during that same half hour when my mother had had the dream. My aunt explained that she'd said nothing about the coming baby, since she'd previously had a couple of miscarriages.
It was many years before there was another such experience - at least one that I knew of - but just that one was proof enough for me.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Feb-17 06:47:56

There definitely seems to be something with telephones. It must be the electrical impulses. My DM could make me ring her just by thinking it hard, very handy when all calls had to be paid for, and I have the same ability with DD2. I think DD1 is too busy to be receptive and DS says he gets the feeling but ignores it!

I do occasionally get a strong feeling of worry and know there's something wrong with one of my offspring. Inevitably when I send a WhatsApp message to them all asking whats happened, who's upset, one will immediately get back to me.

grannypiper Wed 22-Feb-17 08:01:52

Through the window at work i saw a friend of my neighbours walk past, i dont know why but i turned to my co worker next to me and said" he wont grow old, he will be gone by the end of the week" He died in a crash a few days later. I always feel bad about it and often think that if i had kept quiet maybe it wouldnt have happened. I know when i see some one if its going to be the last time i see them before they die, its not something i want to be able to do but i just can.
On a lighter note, when i was 5 and walking home from school by myself, i went into the shop and bought a leek ! i had just the right amount money. When i came out of the shop and turned the corner my Nana was rushing down the road in her slippers and i said "its ok Nana i got the leek" she was stunned as she had decided to make soup and realised she needed a leek and was on the way to buy one.

MammaN Wed 22-Feb-17 10:14:34

I used to be what I called 'sensitive' - think I've grown out of it now.

I could have déja-vu moments quite fequently but the real 'freak me out' times were - when I knew that my father's illness was terminal at the exact time that my mother and brother were told, in a hospital 130 miles away from me - and when I went to the letterbox especially to collect a letter from my mother (I wasn't expecting a letter but felt I had to go and collect the letter that I knew was there ?) - it was about my brother who was in lots of trouble at the time. I agree these things do seem to have happened in times of great trauma for the person I was getting the vibes from. I never knew which one of them it was and now they're no longer here.

On a lighter note - I found myself thinking of the merits of terry and disposable nappies one day - shortly before my elder daughter told me she was pregnant with DGS1 - and I knew what they were going to call him. Spooked DSIL - he thinks I'm a witch.

ls328 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:15:01

Hi, I’m telepathic and I’m young. I experience hearing voices, seeing images of the people I’m telepathic with, and I know I can do things to other people like give them muscle spasms and make their muscles move from a great distance, send people smells and sounds. I am all alone and I am looking for places where people meet to talk about telepathy. Does anyone know of any forums?? Please email me at [email protected] if you know of any. I would be very grateful.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:17:26

Yes, I have, which I will not share on here as I have shared it with members of the family.

But it was a very strange and poignant dream of future happenings which came true.

Yorkshiregel Sun 01-Jul-18 07:42:56

I once picked up the telephone to ring my Mother only to find she was already on the 'phone to me! How that happened I do not know. I also share this 'gift' with my sisters. Our father used to call us 'the three witches' because it happened so often. Only in jest of course. My sister and I got pregnant at the same time. I was abroad she was here in UK. We both chose the same material for our dresses! We often buy the same birthday cards for people, also the same presents. We all seem to know if one of us is ill. Yes, I think there is such a thing as telepathy...even when people have passed on. I have often felt the presence of someone I loved even though they are no longer with us. I wrote a poem about an experience I had once:

Separate Footpaths

It was just a sudden draught of air
That’s how I knew that you were there
I saw you in the corner of my eye
I didn’t see detail, and I wasn’t sure why
Silently you moved just out of view
I wasn’t scared because I knew that it was you
You were there quite close to me
Yet how was that possible? How could that be?
I wanted to reach out and hold you tight
To feel your warmth all through the night
I wanted to hold your hand in mine
And prayed that we had gone back in time
Your love surrounded me like a cloak
What precious memories it evoked
Your smiling mouth, your twinkling eyes,
Your gentle touch
To have them back would mean so very much
I made a silent wish ‘Please come back to me’…
‘So I can hold you close and let the tears run free’
‘Let me feel your breath upon my cheek;’
‘I want to smell your hair and hear you speak’;
Then you are gone, you’ve closed the door;
There is no ‘You’
I cannot feel what I had felt before
Your Spirit lingered long enough
To say ‘Goodbye’
For we must walk on separate footpaths
You and I

© © © ©
(copyright)

Yorkshiregel Sun 01-Jul-18 07:58:04

I should have read all the posts first because I found I have already told you about two things. One I didn't tell you about though was this: One day at work I was sitting in my office and this nice looking young man in Navy officers' uniform went past, he gave me this lovely smile. I tiptoed across the corridor to the office opposite and asked the PA there who this Navy officer was. She said nobody had come in to her office all morning. There was nowhere else he could have gone because it was a dead end after our offices. I found out later that the Navy used to use the same building in WWII but not since. I often wonder what happened to him. Some Mother's son who did not come back?