Gransnet forums

Chat

silver hair

(81 Posts)
nannymeryl Mon 20-Feb-17 22:50:18

so, as an old hippy type I've used Simple shampoo for years. Now I'm completely white it's not working so well (very frizzy). I've looked in my local supermarket, nothing there marketed at us silver heads (missed opportunity there I think)
what do others use?

Nanna191729 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:57:38

You might think I'm slightly mad but I use a very tiny amount of Brylcreem on my short dry hair and it always gives it a sparkle and holds it in place without being greasy and sticky

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:18:49

I would suggest that you look at how you dry your hair.
Frizzy hair can be as much to do with the way your dry & style your hair
Even just letting it dry naturally will not stop the frizz
The cuticles on frizzy hair need to be smoothed down

I use an argon oil heat spray then dry with a hot brush.
The argon oil is a dry oil

I use dove for mature hair and have for a number of years put the conditioner on first. ( After a mistake at swimming baths!)

Yorkshiregel Tue 21-Feb-17 14:49:14

I should be silver, but I colour my hair, always have. I think silver looks distinguished on a man but not a woman. I notice that people treat women with silver hair as if they were 'past it' so I intend to keep on colouring. I use Tea Tree products and my hair is always nice and shiny so it suits me, makes me feel younger even if I am not.

hulahoop Tue 21-Feb-17 15:28:55

I have been silver /blond since my thirties have never needed conditioner I like tressemme shampoo .

Welshwife Tue 21-Feb-17 15:35:51

I can tell you Yorkshire gal that if you gave a good cut and wear nice make up you are not treated as if you are past it!! Silver hair is now very fashionable and very grey hair coloured is no longer so - according to my hairdresser - telling people this loses him money so must be true!!

Magicmaggie Tue 21-Feb-17 15:37:45

Yorkshiregirl I totally agree with you. I think you are perceived to be invisible if you are grey, and that's why I still dye my hair a golden chestnut.
Recently I was on a coach holiday, where most of the coach party were "ladies of a certain age" and every night during dinner I sat with three other ladies, all of whom had various shades of white or grey hair. On the last night I sat talking to one of the ladies whilst the other two joined the rest of the group and went into the lounge for coffee.
The young waitress who had served us for the past four nights picked up the cardigan of one of the ladies who had forgotten it and asked me to take it in to her "as all the old ladies looked the same to her".

f77ms Tue 21-Feb-17 15:45:38

I am with you yorkshiregal . I am not too bothered about coloured hair `not being fashionable`. Grey hair makes me feel old and dowdy .

For frizzy hair a serum works well to smooth the cuticles down and give the appearance of silky shiny hair . Any serum will do , they are all basically the same thing . Just rub a few drops into the frizzy mid lengths and ends and then blow dry or use a straightener .

HildaW Tue 21-Feb-17 15:53:33

Charles Worthington does a range suitable for silver/grey hair that very gentle I leave the conditioner on a good five minutes but makes sure I really rinse well. I alternate between that and the Provoke range especially now that I'm trying to undo some damage done by my, now ex hairdresser, I asked for a few more silver highlights as it was looking a bit too 'gunmetal' just before Christmas and she over bleached it!!!! Serves me right, I should have remained natural!

HazelGreen Tue 21-Feb-17 16:11:57

Just an idea for the lady who has trouble finding hairslides to suit grey/white hair, I would try finding a nail polish in colour you like and use it to change colour of a slide or even hair clip.

Bubbe Tue 21-Feb-17 16:19:55

VIOLETTE My suggestion re: thinning locks is to consult a trusted hairdresser. I too have thinned far too much and tried just about every potion and lotion on the shelves. My hairdresser now cuts my hair into a style that disguises this. I get it cut about every 5 weeks which I find quite a chore but I feel it works better for showing less scalp (which I am quite conscious of ~ and have been for the past 30 years or so)

Morgana Tue 21-Feb-17 16:32:03

I tried those Aus sie hair products after a previous thread. They made my scalp itch and I have struggled to get rid of the rash. So be careful if changing hair products. Gone back to using JOICO

Coolgran65 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:52:11

Cloverpark - another poster has just beat me to it ;)

I'd paint the hair grips with nail polish to suit, or even with emulsion paint if you have the correct colour in the house.

nannymeryl Tue 21-Feb-17 17:40:17

clover park -I've bought white ones in the past from Sainsburys

Revis Tue 21-Feb-17 17:50:42

When I went grey I started using Touch of Silver but now use HairXPertise Argan Blonde Silverising shampoo and conditioner available from Superdrug. They often have 33%off so I buy it when on offer. They also do a toning spray which is good. Also try Indola silver mousse (available on the Internet). All that gives me nice shiny grey hair!

supersonic Tue 21-Feb-17 18:15:35

I have a heart condition and I've taken fish oils as part of my preventative measures for many years and although I'm 66 I seem to have lots of hair.. my hairdresser thinks that it probably is the fish oils, she reckons you can't put much actually on the hair to make it thicken up, it has to come from diet.

joannewton46 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:33:14

The best shampoo I've found for almost silver hair was 1 euro in a French hypermarket and is coconut oil based. Fantastic!

Suki70 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:16:21

To hide too much visible scalp if your hair is thinning, try spraying it with Batiste dry shampoo which comes in several colours. The original is best for white or silver hair.

pollyperkins Tue 21-Feb-17 22:31:40

I have say i have never liked dyed hair and think white/silver hair looks much better! Hair has to be very well coloured to look natural and often doesn't suit the complexion of older people. And dont get me started on roots!! Also dyeing in the long term affects the hair badly , makes it brittle etc.
Dot meAn to offend anyone just responding t people who say white hairbisxaging! Mine is thick and still in good condition. I use a variety of shampoos.
I agree that grey/white hair has to be well cared for and well cut.

Grannyknot Wed 22-Feb-17 08:05:33

Polly I agree with you. I stopped dying my hair when the hairdresser dyed it a strange toffee colour. My hair was naturally very dark and none of the dyed hair colours suited my skin colour plus my hair was in poor condition from being soaked in chemicals every 3 weeks, because of the "landing strip" of root growth.

I'm very happy with my silver hair and so far no one has ignored me smile

Iam64 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:07:14

My hair was very dark but once the grey became so prevalent it needed colouring every 5 weeks I decided to go lighter. I've done this gradually but began to dislike being 'blonde' because I'm not. I've had it cut very short and I'm embracing the grey. It's silver in parts and not so much in others. I'm enjoying the very short cut, it's similar to the one I had 38 years ago but silver not dark smile

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 09:20:34

For the first time in my life I feel,I have "statement" hair (apart from the time in my teens when I had clearly chosen the wrong colour, left it on too long and had to undergo the humiliation of walking to school with plum hair.) Our wee town and my staid High School not being accustomed to plum hair.
Anyway now I am as nature intended white although even one DD thought I was bleaching it platinum !
( ProVoke Touch of Silver is my standby.)

Iam64 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:28:25

Hey MawBroon, we're almost twins.
It's been a slow burn change for me but I agree with comments from others here about the clash between skin tone that is in its late 60's and dark hair. Not a good look for most of us.

BBbevan Wed 22-Feb-17 10:06:03

I used to have very dark brown hair.I wore it in a Bob for years and it went from Brown to grey to silver. Yesterday I had it cut short. There is a natural line of very dark hair along the back. It looks very interesting , fashionable even.. Glad I plucked up the courage. And I love my silver hair.

pollyperkins Wed 22-Feb-17 10:23:11

Lovely pic Mawbroon. My hair is a similar style.

Yorkshiregel Wed 22-Feb-17 14:10:13

Magicmaggie I rest my case :-)

Not trying to be offensive by the way. I just feel better not being silver. My sister went silver in her 30s! Due to stress, but that's another story. She has it cut short and it is always stylish so she looks great.