Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you look good in photos

(104 Posts)
Angib Fri 24-Feb-17 12:17:49

Ive never been what you might call a beauty but I thought I looked OK but when it comes to photos I just look awful, so much so that I resist wherever possible not to have my photo taken. Now I've got grandchildren I'd love to have more photos taken with them but with my turkey neck I just look even worse. Am I just being silly and vain?

gillybob Fri 24-Feb-17 12:21:47

OMG no !

I ruin perfectly good photographs and avoid cameras like the plague.

My "good side" would be the back of my head.

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 12:23:34

sad Yep
Turkey neck and dowagers hump!
As somebody said a while back though, pictures from a few years ago which I HATED at the time, somehow don't look quite as bad 5 years later ????

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 12:24:31

Sorry that was a Yep of agreement .
The answer to your question is of course a resounding NO!

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:43:55

I don't mind photos taken when I don't know they are being taken ( they always look ok) but not when I have to face a camera, I have a just been shocked lookshock

Witzend Fri 24-Feb-17 13:12:27

No - I often wonder who that haggard old crone is, before realising it's me...

Dh and dds will persist in taking pics, though, despite my screams of anguish. I suppose it's vanity - I didn't mind at all when I was younger!

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 13:14:22

Absolutely not - I run a mile from a camera. I can probably count on one hand the number of "good" photographs ever taken of me. My children are very photogenic and so is my grandson but they definitely don't get it from me!

Christinefrance Fri 24-Feb-17 13:18:18

No I never look good in photos either. Always seem to have a surplus of chins and no hair. In my mind I am size 14 and attractive for my age, in reality well.........
Selfies are a definite no no for me. smile

janeainsworth Fri 24-Feb-17 13:20:35

Go to a professional photographer angie if you really want good photos of yourself with your GDCs.
Sympathetic lighting works wonders, a good photographer will capture the real you and photoshop will take care of the turkey neck!

DanniRae Fri 24-Feb-17 13:39:04

I HATE having my photo taken. As Christine has said the image I have of myself and the reality do not match. My family are all slim, including my sister-in-law, nephew and niece and we all spent Christmas together. Yes I got in one of the group photos to be in the Christmas spirit but Oh Dear! I look so HUGE compared to the rest. Never again -I'll take all the photos in future!!hmm

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Feb-17 13:44:43

I've never looked good in any photographs, even as a child. I get really self conscious, and don't know how to stand or smile. The older I get, the worse I look. I really don't know the answer apart from avoiding having my picture taken.

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 13:56:31

I have always hated photos of me, but don't mind if the photo is of the rest of me without my head and face. Headless, I'm not too bad!

Angib Fri 24-Feb-17 14:11:55

It's not just me then. Thank goodness for that. Thanks for all your replies.

Katek Fri 24-Feb-17 14:51:21

In a word.....no! I hate myself in photos unless I have a dgc on my lap hiding a multitude of sins and chins!

Bellasnana Fri 24-Feb-17 15:51:08

Well they say the camera never lies so I have to accept I am looking more and more like my dear departed mother. I don't really mind any more and I like having photos with loved ones to look back on.

varian Fri 24-Feb-17 15:56:58

I never look as young, slim and beautiful in photos as I do in real life. I can't think why.

BBbevan Fri 24-Feb-17 16:07:30

Absolutely horrendous. I hate myself in photos.

grannypiper Fri 24-Feb-17 16:07:45

Bellasnana i am sure the camera does lie, i cannot possibly look that bad i real life ! grin

Grannyben Fri 24-Feb-17 16:53:13

I used to take a very good photo and, in reality, I still look quite reasonable for my age. However, point a camera in my direction and I will run for the hills. I look like I've been slapped! I've always been dark round the eyes but now they look hideous when accompanying my bags. My neck appears to have disappeared and I'm certain I look a good three stone overweight. I do have a friend who takes selfies every day and she looks stunning. I'm not really sure why she's still my friend ?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 24-Feb-17 18:34:24

Never have, the odd one is nice though but I think that's most people (Im a stunner in real life though). Some people are just photogenic.

tinaf1 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:41:01

In a word no sad

nanaK54 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:41:20

No absolutely not!

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Feb-17 18:45:00

No, you're not, OP! I take a dreadful photo. I've had a couple of good ones over the years and they're so rare I keep them on display (one in particular where I'm gazing soulfully out of the London Eye when nobody in our pod had understood where to look for the camera and the rest of them had just wandered off when the flash came. It doesn't even look like me!).

I even dislike looking at that little square with the old lady in on Facetime. My mother was a good-looking woman, where did I go wrong??

Grandma2213 Sat 25-Feb-17 00:52:16

Oh dear why do we all have such a negative self image? Yes me too..! Family and friends always say the photos are lovely and believe me mine would definitely say so if they thought they were terrible! So, I guess I really do look like that but they don't see it!

MawBroon I agree past photos we hated at the time now look so much better. Maybe we should stop hiding, protesting, running away when the camera appears as none of these will lead to a good look. I'm sure there must be some online info on how to pose properly. Surely all those celebrities must know something we don't!

Meanwhile like you Katek I will cover myself with DGC!

Lynnebo Sat 25-Feb-17 07:00:17

The photos that are taken will be treasured memories one day xx