Gransnet forums

Chat

Jo jo bows.....

(114 Posts)
jogginggirl Fri 03-Mar-17 16:47:38

My DGD's love these pretty bows - they are a new craze and are quite beautiful ?

Why would schools ban the wearing of them ....? Surely there are far more serious and worrying issues to address in schools... I won't even start.... ?

www.bbc.com/news/uk-39140210

tanith Fri 03-Mar-17 16:52:26

Sorry but I think they are awful, an American friend used to send me pictures when her granddaughters were small and every picture they wore those awful bows in their hair even when they were near 10/11 yrs old.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Mar-17 17:00:18

I don't like them either. Remind me of Violet Elizabeth Bott, though I can't remember where she came from. "Just William" maybe?

Luckygirl Fri 03-Mar-17 17:08:29

They are just a bit of fun - one of my DDs would have loved them when she was small.

phoenix Fri 03-Mar-17 17:20:13

Yes, it was "Just William."

Maybe just a bit of fun, but if you go for the branded ones, (which will happen, in that home made/high street store ones will not do, got to have the label) then a very expensive bit of fun.

Ana Fri 03-Mar-17 17:34:10

Yes, they are fun, but not suitable for school IMO.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Mar-17 17:44:08

TBH I think the more fuss that parents and teachers make about these unimportant things, the more important they become and the more the girls will want them.

Ana Fri 03-Mar-17 17:47:32

If jewellery, makeup and dyed hair can be banned in schools why can't these bows? If they all turned up in deely-boppers would that be OK? grin

tanith Fri 03-Mar-17 17:55:57

grin Ana I had no clue what a deely-bopper was, I do now wink

ginny Fri 03-Mar-17 17:56:11

Agree Ana. Fun but not for school. Almost as big as a hat and I doubt they would allow the boys to wear a cap at school.

jogginggirl Fri 03-Mar-17 18:03:26

Sorry, I don't see the problem - but everyone is entitled to their own opinion ?

I must be turning into a very 'laid-back' Grandma ...?

Grannyknot Fri 03-Mar-17 18:08:19

Gosh, what century are we in? The one where the older generation disapproves of a teenage craze. confused

Ana Fri 03-Mar-17 18:10:42

I think it's more to do with school uniform rules, Grannyknot...hmm

jogginggirl Fri 03-Mar-17 18:30:18

I do remember when my DD was at school and I used to buy long lengths of ribbon and tie a huge bow around her pony tail..... not that different to a Jo jo bow really.....?

Alima Fri 03-Mar-17 19:05:41

I have never heard of these bows but when I clicked the link I realised that I walk past a picture of one every day. The attached shows a photo of my Mum taken around 100 years ago. That is one heck of a ribbon in her hair, sadly I have no idea what colour it was.

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 19:06:49

I'm sure there must be plenty of opportunities for wearing them outside school.

A bow in the school colours - fine!
I must be a prim and proper Grandma grin

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 19:08:17

I had never heard of deely boppers either.

I do know of some children who go to school in plimsolls though

(ducks for cover again tonight)

Luckygirl Fri 03-Mar-17 19:08:41

Bows in school colours sound great fun!

jogginggirl Fri 03-Mar-17 19:21:22

As long as they have some sparkle Luckygirl ... ?

Ha ha Jalima - Jo jo bows at dawn I think ?

The photo that Alima posted made me think though..... when I was at school - I was always the odd one out because my parents couldn't fund any of the latest styles - even my socks were green because they were cheaper than white ones.... I pretty much made sure that my own DC 'fitted in' when they were at school....

But maybe this explains my 'laid back' attitude to my DGD's and their bows ?

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 19:28:36

I hated my school uniform but always conformed.

I think my younger DD has always been a non-conformist - she would have worn one of these to school and argued her case too! grin

tanith Fri 03-Mar-17 19:30:03

Far from being a 'new craze', I just think they look so old fashioned but each to their own I guess smile

Love the picture Alima

janeainsworth Fri 03-Mar-17 19:36:12

Does anyone remember luminous socks being banned circa 1958?
I desperately wanted some but was not allowed.
They came in luminous pink, luminous green and luminous yellow.
They were rumoured to be radioactive shock but as it was about the time of the disastrous fire at Windscale, aka Sellafield, perhaps people's anxieties were heightened.
grin

petra Fri 03-Mar-17 19:38:32

Maybe the ban is to protect the sensitivities of girls with short hair [ wink]

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 19:42:30

I remember someone wearing luminous socks with white stilettos janea about that time
Her sister went to my school, was very prim and proper and was very embarrassed to be seen with her sister in her socks and stilettos.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Mar-17 20:09:20

I think they re awful personally but if that's what they like then fair play but obviously NOT ok in school, get a classroom of them and you wouldn't see the board for ribbon
It's just a craze but at £8 to £12 for a blooming bow the worlds gone mad