Gransnet forums

Chat

Hairy arms

(23 Posts)
MIssFriday Thu 09-Mar-17 08:09:55

I am dark haired so hair on my arms has always shown up. Its not bothered me . But now it grown long on one arm so I've shaved my arms. Looks so much better. Does anyone else shave their arms?

Auntieflo Thu 09-Mar-17 08:40:24

I have never shaved my arms, but when we had the daughter of a friend stay with us, she sat next to me on the sofa, and I can remember the bristly feel of her shaved arms. Like you she was dark haired and had slightly olive skin, but the shaved look/feel, was not a good one.

Nelliemoser Thu 09-Mar-17 09:00:36

No and I had/have quite dark hair. I certainly would not shave my arms.
I have just rolled up my sleeves to look and of the hair I used to have on my arms seems to have gone.
I have never bothered about them.
IMO it is really unecessary. Hairs that have been shaved will look worse when they grow back as the ends will be thick and stubbly.

Teetime Thu 09-Mar-17 09:26:06

Yes I agree I wouldn't start down that road, have you thought of bleaching but are they really that bad it is quite natural to have hair on your arms - mine get bleached in the sun on the golf course!!

shysal Thu 09-Mar-17 09:27:45

My arms have thick dark hairs. I shaved them once as a teenager but was too lazy to maintain it so let them grow again. I make sure that I get plenty of sun to my arms, which lightens the hairs, however I have many moles which sprout even thicker darker ones, so I pluck them every now and again.
I am envious of those who are losing their body hair as they age. At 70 my pubes merge into thick dark leg hair. I shave below the knee every day as I wear capri exercise leggings, but the rest I do only before swimming. Fortunately I have no man in my life to witness the Yeti look!

rosesarered Thu 09-Mar-17 09:34:22

If you have dark hairs, and they are long, then I understand why you want them gone.I think that if it is the first time you have shaved your arms, they won't grow back bristly and will still be soft, but if you keep on with it ( shaving) then they would be.
Next time, use Veet or similar, or wax them which gives a better feel and look when they start to grow.

rosesarered Thu 09-Mar-17 09:36:59

Any body hair I have,(not a lot) is light, but I once had a Scots friend who used to bemoan her hark hairyness all the time!

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Mar-17 11:35:19

If you can afford it, try IPL (impulse light therapy) It really does work. I had it done on my bikini line over ten years ago, and it has never grown back. You do not have to let the hairs grow back before having the treatment, which you do have to with wax. Also waxing can cause ingrown hairs, IPL does not. But it is expensive.

Faye Thu 09-Mar-17 12:40:17

I used to use silky mitts on my legs in the sixties, about seven years ago I discovered them again. They are great, no bristles and the hair doesn't grow back so fast (or seem to) and would be much better on arms than a razor.

MIssFriday Thu 09-Mar-17 16:13:50

I just see this as a one off. the hair on my arms is a lot less and a lot lighter now I am older. Other body hair is less too. I just didn't like the length of some on my right arm. Maybe if it grows back the same I'll just trim with scissors. I don't want to have a stubble look! Waxing sounds painful. I'll read up about IPL as its something I have never heard off.

Grannyben Thu 09-Mar-17 21:35:24

I'm dark haired and have olive skin and, I have always shaved my arms. I do it about twice a week and it literally takes seconds in the shower. My daughter shaves hers as well

Cindi Fri 10-Mar-17 03:02:03

I'm a fan of waxing.

Angela1961 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:08:44

Get yourself an epilator - won't lie when you first start it does sting ( like being pinged with an elastic band ) but you get used to it the upside is you can enjoy weeks of smooth skin.

Rosina Fri 10-Mar-17 10:42:54

I had my arms waxed once - just once, and that was enough to stop 99% of regrowth . Possibly just lucky, but one of the best 'one off' expenses I have had!

quizqueen Fri 10-Mar-17 10:46:28

Find yourself a local sugaring practitioner. Hair removal by that system doesn't seem to hurt as much as waxing as the product is not hot so the same area can be gone over again,if necessary, if all the hairs haven't been removed first time. Your skin will be left soft and smooth and hair growth will be slowed down if it doesn't disappear altogether eventually.

lindiann Fri 10-Mar-17 11:05:07

i have always had a hairy patch on my back blush

Teddy123 Fri 10-Mar-17 14:06:57

I've just looked to check hair on arms .... No change but instead discovered a lot of freckles/age spots! Not the prettiest sight on my skinny arms!

JanT8 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:19:43

I would also recommend an epilator. I've used one for years and now only have about ten or so hairs that grow back on my legs and even those are very fine (I could have won prizes for my dark hairy legs at one time!). Pubes are also disappearing naturally as are my underarm hairs. What a pity the ones on my face don't migrate south and disappear too! They're still like flipping mushrooms, seem to appear overnight!

Glamdram Fri 10-Mar-17 17:14:31

I HAVe my forearms waxed ....if u get a good beautician.....it's not that painful.

Peaseblossom Fri 10-Mar-17 21:37:10

I have always had dark hair on my arms, but for years now I have been using an epilator. They look nice and bare now. If you epilate them every week or two then they won't all have grown through at the same time, so it will not hurt as much. I have never found it that painful. It may be best to have them waxed once and then epilate them once they start growing back. That way they will not all be there at the same time so, again, will be less painful.

Smurf52 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:33:12

I shaved my arms as a teenager because i was bullied at school over it. I didn't bother shaving when i left school and the hair never grew back!

Grandma2213 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:25:12

shysal I am one of those who lost all my body hair from my late 50's. Arms, legs underarms etc not a problem though if you look closely you can see all the raised follicles between the freckles, wrinkles and age spots. However I do miss my eyebrows and eye lashes. My hair is also receding from the hairline to the centre of my head. No treatment has helped. It is apparently due to an auto-immune disorder. At least you can get rid of excess hair. You can't put it back when it's gone!

Nelliemoser Wed 15-Mar-17 08:42:34

I do wonder if the perception of "hairy arms" has become a "fashion issue". Women have thought about removing hair from legs for a long time but the apparent dislike of hair on arms seems recent to me.
The hair on my arms, (I had very dark hair when I had some.) grew in an orderly direction that is over the side of the arms while hairs on legs seemed to grow all over the place and were darker.
Is this a perception that is similar to those worrying inappropriately about how the flabby bits of their vulvas look and think they need surgery for that?

I wonder what the hairy arms that concern so many actually look like and how most other people would judge them. I guess the GNrs arms hairy or otherwise would have to feature on a picture gallery to be judged.

This sounds like body shaming to me.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3516347/Should-removing-hair-forearms-M-S-model-pilloried-light-arms-FEMAIL-investigates-phenomenon.html