Gransnet forums

Chat

Nanna or Nana?

(65 Posts)
Liz46 Fri 10-Mar-17 06:30:25

I live in England and have always used 'Nanna' but 'Nana' seems to have become more popular. Which is correct?

Bellasnana Fri 10-Mar-17 06:53:34

My grandmother was always Nana and I have now become Nana. However, I live in Malta where all grandmothers are 'Nanna' and grandfathers are 'Nannu'. I don't think either version is right or wrong, although it actually seems easier to find cards for Nana than Nanna.

ginny Fri 10-Mar-17 07:27:26

I'm Nana too.

tanith Fri 10-Mar-17 07:43:55

What does it matter what they call you confused

MawBroon Fri 10-Mar-17 07:47:32

How can you tell the difference between them, they sound exactly the same to me confused
I favour Granny, but we have had so many threads on what to call us old dears, I won't go down that road. ?? smile

vampirequeen Fri 10-Mar-17 07:49:58

My mam is a nana. I'm a grandma. I don't know which is right but I seem to think the nanna appeared more after the greetings card industry chose that spelling but I may be wrong.

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 07:55:19

I think it's when you get cards etc. with either to Nana or Nana written on the envelope Maw that you notice or (god forbid) those twee Greatest Nanna mugs, etc. Incidentally my predictive text doesn't like Nanna and tries to offer Nana as an alternative

However my predictive text can be very creative and positively rude on some occasions so I'll not make a judgement on that alone.

To misquote a well known poem, the spelling's 'what one damn well pleases'.

mcem Fri 10-Mar-17 08:06:35

Does it matter???

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 08:08:00

No!

Badenkate Fri 10-Mar-17 08:10:13

My grandmother was called Nana (or Nanna) and she was such a horrible old bag I swore I'd never be called that no matter how it's spelt!

PRINTMISS Fri 10-Mar-17 08:56:42

I should hate to be called Nanna, always been grandma thank goodness.

Teetime Fri 10-Mar-17 09:02:08

I am Nanna Sue as my grandmother was.

Liz46 Fri 10-Mar-17 09:04:30

It's strange how our childhood (so long ago) can still affect us. My Nanna was lovely so that is what I wanted to be called.

Floradora9 Fri 10-Mar-17 09:15:48

Neither in Scotland .

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Mar-17 09:32:48

Well, I am Nanna/Nana and still not sure! I think I prefer the former to distinguish it from bananas and proper nanas grin

I actually think it's naff to criticise other people's choice of name but now await the first goat/paid staff snipe.

annodomini Fri 10-Mar-17 09:43:09

Oh, what does it matter? Whatever your GC call you, it's the relationship that counts.

Granny anno

rosesarered Fri 10-Mar-17 09:59:16

I'm a Grandma, but yesterday in Sainsburys saw a huge display of Mothers Day and Nanas presents, all very flowery and cutiepie with mugs that say I Love You Nana, alao jugs, cushions etc and all with that spelling.grin Does that help?

Badenkate Fri 10-Mar-17 10:00:56

Sorry anno, but just the thought of being called nanna sends a shudder through me.

TerriBull Fri 10-Mar-17 10:13:30

I'm nana because that's what I called my own grandmas, one was known as "Wimbledon nana" and the other "Sussex nana". However, my little grandson of late has started to call me grandma, which I have to confess I quite like. My mother always called her remaining grandmother grandma, I like it in an old fashioned sort of way.

M0nica Fri 10-Mar-17 10:49:52

I am grandma as were my mother, grandmother etc etc. It is the same with the other grandma.

I think it is just a question of personal choice and local tradition.

goldengirl Fri 10-Mar-17 11:19:44

I'm Grandma but I had a Nana - and a Bompa!

Grannybags Fri 10-Mar-17 12:54:58

My Mum died 4 weeks before my GD was born born and as she was Granny that is what I was called. I always wanted to be Granny though, so I'm happy!

MawBroon Fri 10-Mar-17 13:17:36

I do think ihaving all these words for grandmothers can be confusing for young children who may not realise that when the Nursery worker says Nanny she means Granny or Grandma . My little DGC have a daily nanny for the days DD works and younger DGS once referred to his "other Granny " Thinking he means DD's MIL I asked if he meant Granny Jan, "No," he said, "the Granny who takes me to Nursery" , (I.e.Lisa)
I don't think the young woman in question would have felt flattered to be equated to a Granny!!

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-17 13:18:59

I m a Nana and much prefer that, when they were small I was a Nanny but that changed to Nana as they got older I couldn't care less whether it's got one N or two
To me Grandma sounds very posh and older I think the Queen must be grandma or grandmama Grandmother sounds very formal and elderly to my ears
My own were Mums mum was Nanny and Dads mum was Granny

It really doesn't matter does it it's all relative to your own family and you are what your used to being called

Daddima Fri 10-Mar-17 13:26:32

My grandparents were both grannies ( granny C and granny B) . My children's grandparents were the " Isobel gran" and the " Mary gran".

I am Gran first name, the Bodach is B.